Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a noise on the passenger side when coming to a stop while applying medium to hard brake pedal pressure. Best way I can describe it is as "brake pad" slippage caused by seized caliper pins, which doesn't allow the caliper to apply full pressure on the rotors.

I replaced both my subframe connectors in hopes that this was one of those weird bent subframe noises. I also greased the slide pins. Neither cured the noise.

Here are some pics of the back of the pad and rotor. Pads are rotor were replaced a few months ago when I was originally trying to fix this issue. Has anyone seen this kind of wear before. Wondering if I have a caliper issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
864 Posts
Is it that kind of catching clunk catching clunk I can hear in the video you're referring to?
It looks like to me that there might be some kind of movement happening where the pad is being gripped by the rotor instead of the pad gripping the rotor.
I'm wondering if the retainer clips are in place that lock them into the calipers?
If the pistons are seized, then swapping the calipers out isn't that hard a job to do- I've done all 4 on my WJ and they're a lot easier than you'd think. A ton of videos about the brake systems is available on YouTube that helped guide me in doing the swap out myself instead of paying a garage to do it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your response. Yes that's the sound I am talking about. I agree where I think it's a piston issue. Had the caliper off and the retaining clips are still intact on the pads and all slide pins were moving freely. Assuming it's a piston issue but I actually have it booked it on Tuesday with the dealership. I'll update with the resolution. Would fix it myself but I have my extended warranty.

I also try to get my facts straight before visiting the dealership to avoid the band-aid solutions that result in me returning. I have the service manager involved at this point because they have failed to address this concern the past 2 times I had the vehicle there for service.

Will hopefully report back with the solution by end of week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealership replaced my RF Wheel bearing. Apparently it was toast and I didn't know. I still have my winter tires on and was thinking it was road noise from them.

So far no new noise since the bearing was replaced. They believe it was the cause of the issue and reccomended we start there as my caliper passed their test/inspector. They recommend I replace the rotors and pads given how they have worn now. I am going to replace those this weekend.

If the issue ever comes back I will update the thread.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Cool beans and ty for update and the cause. It might help out other owners if they suffer the same thing.
Glad it's sorted. 👍

Reactions: Cdnwk2

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No problem! I always make an effort to report back on the fix for any of the posts I make in hopes that it can help someone.

Update from today: I replaced the pads and rotors today and the noise is 100% gone.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I absolutely loved doing the rotor/caliper swap on my WJ. A worthy job to do oneself 👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts