Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 99 GC Laredo 4.0 that I have been working on. I can hear a warped rotor rubbing at slow speed. It stops when i put on the brakes a little heavy. Looking at receipts I got with the jeep, it just had new front brakes 10,000 mi ago. Not very promising. I've seen akebono conversion mentioned. Are these that much better? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all, I have a 99 GC Laredo 4.0 that I have been working on. I can hear a warped rotor rubbing at slow speed. It stops when i put on the brakes a little heavy. Looking at receipts I got with the jeep, it just had new front brakes 10,000 mi ago. Not very promising. I've seen akebono conversion mentioned. Are these that much better? Thanks for your help.
Well, got the brake noise fixed. Took the calipers off and the spring on the driver side was missing. Took the rotors in to have them tr
21244537, member: 250474"]
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, got the brake noise fixed. Took the calipers off and the spring on the driver side was missing. Took the rotors in to have them trued up and the shop said they got rid of their brake lathe. He said nobody cuts rotors anymore. NAPA said the same. WTH!. Just throw away and buy new? Put new spring on and the noise is gone. Still plan on the upgrade in the future. This is my first Jeep, 99 Laredo 4.0. Been working on it since I got it in January and I finally got it on the road. I love driving it and it handles and rides great. Lot of miles but in great shape. Hope it holds together!

·
Registered
20 TrailHawk
41 Posts
Still places out there that turn rotors, might not be in the big city areas though

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Still places out there that turn rotors, might not be in the big city areas though
Yeah especially dealerships who will try to $ell their customers new rotors whether the old ones can be turned down or not.
In addition to their mantra 'thats normal', the other one is 'you need new rotors and pads too'.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah especially dealerships who will try to $ell their customers new rotors whether the old ones can be turned down or not.
In addition to their mantra 'thats normal', the other one is 'you need new rotors and pads too'.
ww
This is out in the sticks in central Illinois. The shop I use is just a small used car dealer with a really good crew. Mechanic said they sold their lathe several years ago. I trust them and they have always treated me good. Blew my mind. They didn't even know anybody still turning rotors.

·
Registered
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2 Posts
This is out in the sticks in central Illinois. The shop I use is just a small used car dealer with a really good crew. Mechanic said they sold their lathe several years ago. I trust them and they have always treated me good. Blew my mind. They didn't even know anybody still turning rotors.
Off Topic but where are you in Central IL? Im in Edinburg, IL (20 miles east of Springfield)

·
Registered
03 WJ, 4.Slow, 3" IRO
138 Posts
O'Reilly's and some of the other parts stores still turn rotors. Turned rotors should be rebalanced, nobody does that. When you turn rotors you make them thinner and likely to warp easier. Replacing with new saves a lot of costomer complaints.

·
Registered
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2 Posts
Hi HawksWJ, I'm near Minonk, about 35 miles northwest of Bloomington. You're not too far off.
Gotcha. Any off-roading up there? My WJ is stock for now but I’d put more money into it if I knew of any somewhat local trails!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Be careful on what pads you chose.
A while back i changed my rear brake shoes on my XJ with AZ supposedly low semi metalic shoes.
Worst brake shoes i ever experienced, squeaking and unbelievable brake dust but they did stop great.
Had enough of the squeaking brakes so i replaced them with Raybestos organic shoes and no more squeaking but the braking was not as good as those squeaky AZ shoes which drove me nuttier than i already am.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotcha. Any off-roading up there? My WJ is stock for now but I’d put more money into it if I knew of any somewhat local trails!
Nah, the only off-roading I do is checking the fields behind my house. I just got this in January. It has high miles and needed some work, but overall was in very good shape. I like driving it and it's one I can work on; iron 6 cyl, not one of those newer super complicated and expensive to work on motors. You and I aren't in a very good spot for trails. Hope you find some and get to beef it up a bit. Good luck with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts