·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Diesel H.A.
17 Posts
The Powerstop Z23 Carbon-Fiber Ceramic are a step up from OEM; they have a higher coefficient of friction and do stop better. The Powerstop rotors are also a much better quality then the $15 aftermarket Chinese rotors all the parts stores sell. You could spend twice as much $ for Akebono and the performance is not any better...though good brakes. Hawk or EBC not any better then Powerstop. Hawk buys rotors from Powerstop.

I worked for Powerstop for a few years selling it all over the country and called on shops that have been using them for many years and they had NO Complaints. I've had them on my BMWs, Audi and my wife's Blazer and they are great breaks. They are my Go To brakes.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Having been a supplier to AutoZone at one point running another company, they frequently will source products and apply a different part number to the parts, or sell them under their proprietary Duralast brand. I suspect the parts the OP linked to are in fact the Powerstop product.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The Powerstop Z23 Carbon-Fiber Ceramic are a step up from OEM; they have a higher coefficient of friction and do stop better. The Powerstop rotors are also a much better quality then the $15 aftermarket Chinese rotors all the parts stores sell. You could spend twice as much $ for Akebono and the performance is not any better...though good brakes. Hawk or EBC not any better then Powerstop. Hawk buys rotors from Powerstop.

I worked for Powerstop for a few years selling it all over the country and called on shops that have been using them for many years and they had NO Complaints. I've had them on my BMWs, Audi and my wife's Blazer and they are great breaks. They are my Go To brakes.
Hey Jack, I suspect we know some of the same people, several of whom left ATP Automotive to migrate over to Power Stop in Bedford Park

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
The drilled and slotted rotors are just for show on the street, they really do nothing to improve performance, if anything probably hurt it. The racing teams when they get a new porsche from the factory, pull the drilled and slotted rotors that come OEM and install standard face discs. It really depends on the type of racing and conditions but drilled and slotted are not always better, many times they are worse.

The really cheap drilled and slotted rotors are just cheap rotors drilled and slotted cheaply, they often shave away the pads and develop cracks. Power Stop, although I've never used them, they have a good enough of reputation I would doubt they are selling junk drilled and slotted rotors.

Personally, I get Centrics Premium Discs from RockAuto and Akebone Premium Performance pads from RockAuto for a much lower price.

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,100 Posts
Have to do both axles/all 4 corners for brake pads/rotors on my 2014. Instead of OEM, I wanted a bit heavier duty, and found these:

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...nce-brake-pads-rotors-kit/734170_74678_0_2835

Anyone have any opinions about this brand? The price is decent for the set, and I can get it installed fairly cheaply.

I think you would be better off with a set of good rotors and Hawk LTS brake pads. Either that or you go all the way and do Brembos.

Street cars have very very limited use of drilled / slotted rotors. There simply isn't that much heat generated in the brakes to require such drastic measures. And even then, ducting to cool them is more beneficial.

Surely you want your discs bigger (350 mm vs 330 mm fronts on any JGC with a V8 or diesel engine) and ventilated (ribbed) instead of solid (i.e. rears on any JGC with a V6 engine) but this kind of upgrade doesn't appear to be necessary on your end since you have the goods already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts