Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this forum. Just wanted to see how many others have the same issues as I do. In November of 2018, I bought my third Jeep GC. It's a Trailhawk with the 8 cyl. hemi & of course the 8-speed tranny. At 1,082 miles the engine light started coming on. Before I could get it to the dealership, the tranny started sticking in first gear and would not shift for several minutes! This Jeep is kept at my Florida home, so it's not driven often. I have two other vehicles and a Harley at my California house. I bought a lifetime warranty with the Trailhawk, and so far the issues above have NOT been resolved. I'm SUPER PISSED OFF & WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER JEEP, EVER!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
More information needed. When the check engine light came on what did the dealer say was triggering the fault code? You say that it is not driven often. If it sits for weeks and weeks without being driven the battery eventually discharges. A low battery can cause problems. Do you keep it on a trickle charger when you're back in CA?

·
Super Moderator
9,991 Posts
What you describe is not a common issue...you apparently got "that vehicle". It happens with every make and model and it's a "Jeep thing". I do hope you can get it resolved.

Reactions: tomit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More information needed. When the check engine light came on what did the dealer say was triggering the fault code? You say that it is not driven often. If it sits for weeks and weeks without being driven the battery eventually discharges. A low battery can cause problems. Do you keep it on a trickle charger when you're back in CA?
I just last week got back to Florida and I have an appointment for service on this issue in 2 weeks. Hopefully, I can get some truthful answers. I update at that time. The service depot. will be looking into my screwed-up tranny/shifting issue as well. I have a feeling it may all be related to the computer system, but we will see. I have read SO MANY horror stories about newer Jeeps these days and that many people have not had their issues resolved. I just hope I'm not included.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry if my reply is duplicated as I'm replying for the first time on this site. Anyway;
I just last week got back to Florida and I have an appointment for service on this issue in 2 weeks. Hopefully, I can get some truthful answers. I update at that time. The service depot. will be looking into my screwed-up tranny/shifting issue as well. I have a feeling it may all be related to the computer system, but we will see. I have read SO MANY horror stories about newer Jeeps these days and that many people have not had their issues resolved. I just hope I'm not included.
P.S. I have no way of plugging in my trickle charger, as Jeep sits out in parking lot, but one of my friends starts and drives my Jeep at least once a (relatively short drives) to keep the battery at a relatively decent charge, I'm more concerned with the tranny/shifting issue. These things just leave a very bad taste in my mouth, especially with so many horror stories on the newer Jeeps. Thanks for replying and I'll update ASAP.

·
Registered
High altitude
56 Posts
just throwing this out there but up here in Illinois we get a lot of vehicle that sit outside for a long time mice chewing the wires. evidently they are soy based and the mice love them. not sure if that's a problem in florida.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Really unusual to hear of V8/8speed issues - like the previous poster mentioned it may have something to do with sitting idle and a wire/ground being disturbed which can cause all kinds of crazy behavior. Hopefully it’s a simple fix - please let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To Jim_in_PA: I think you meant to say, "...it's NOT {NESESSARILY} a Jeep thing."

Which dealership in Florida?

I hope you find it's a simple fix as well.
Remember, if you decide to throw a charger on the battery, make sure you know what you're doing as old fashioned chargers will over-charge as the AGM battery nears "full".
I've read just clipping an old charger on and walking away for a couple of days kills AGM batteries.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,707 Posts
FYI - Short drives dont help a battery much.

Reactions: larrywal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll post the info from the dealership (Schumacher on Federal Hwy, Delray Beach, FL.) as soon as it's done. Everyone is focusing on the battery (I assume as a possible cause of engine light coming on a couple of times, starting at 1,040 miles) This could very well a glitch in the computer.....no big deal. I'm MUCH more concerned with the tranny and lack of shifting out of first & into second gear. I'll let y'all know. Thanks again guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts