Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 188 Posts

·
Premium Member
GC Limited
747 Posts
As expected, the plastic has fatigued at the same location with an almost identical look as the first image post.
Interesting to see that your second mounting point had not failed however, just below that attachment point there are signs of component clearance issues, which maybe contributing to the fatigue failure of the plastic.
These are good picks to have in the Jeep Garage knowledge bank.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well no luck for me.. is this something I can replace on my own? I don't see any options on eBay... Argh.

Dear Mr. X,

Thank you for your recent contact to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) regarding your recently purchased 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

FCA has reviewed the information you provided regarding the active head restraint. Unfortunately, due to the age and mileage of your vehicle, there are a number of factors outside the manufacturer’s control that could have been contributed to your incident including the amount of time on the road and even environmental factors could also play a significant role.

Your vehicle had a warranty that covered the active head restraints for 3 years or 36,000 miles. Therefore this vehicle is no longer covered by the manufacturer’s basic warranty and any non-powertrain vehicle repairs would be the responsibility of the vehicle’s owner.

Based on the above reasons, FCA must respectfully deny any further assistance.

Thank you for the opportunity to address this matter.

Special Investigations

·
Premium Member
GC Limited
747 Posts
That's very disappointing to read, as FCA through JeepCares as a representative, are aware that this is not just a single event. Yes we have not had 100's of complaints however, as a safety device for the vehicle, I would they would have investigated a little deeper, than just saying "our safety systems in this vehicle are good for the warranty period, after that it's out of our control".
It will be interesting to see if we see more occurrences of this failure with pics looking identical as the first post.
My concern with buying a replacement part would be if the same design will fail again under the same conditions that your vehicle is subjected to. Maybe they are doing a little more test and evaluation, with the issue being discussed here?
Time will tell

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good news..! I reached out to JeepCares on the forum and they're going to help me out.
If anyone else experiences this, I would highly suggest reaching out them with your case to see if they can further assist.

I'll update once the work has been completed.

·
Premium Member
GC Limited
747 Posts
Great outcome.. A big thumbs up to JeepCares...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2 Posts
My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee's passenger side adaptive headrest has deployed by itself. I have not been in an accident and did not witness it deploy. I just saw that the headrest was hanging out of the plastic shell. My jeep is currently at the dealership. I wanted to know if this was something that was covered by Chrysler or if anything can be done.

Ray

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
122 Posts
Hello MMAG4X4,

I am sorry to say but I am in the same place as all of the others. I have a 2013 Grand Cherokee Overland and one day I came out of my office late at night and noticed that my Passenger seat headrest was sitting at an unusual angle. Upon touching it, it flopped all the way forward and a bit of black plastic fell out and onto the seat. No one was near the seat all day.

I have never had an accident and of course my car is out of warranty. Interesting to note, the same thing happened about a year ago to my drivers seat and this was repaired free under warranty when I put the car in for service.

This time, FCA Australia will not repair it only saying they will contribute 30% to the parts under good will but I will still be out of pocket $650.00 to repair it, what a joke.

Surely the parts don't cost that much, it is only a bracket. Does anyone have access to a parts exploded view of the head rest or does it only come as a complete unit which is why it costs so much.

I am very disappointed in Fiat/Chrysler as a brand, I have been back and forth so many times with FCA about navigation map updates and they keep making promises they cannot meet. I have a case lodged with them and dates for the update keep going out in 3 month blocks. They have designed a system that has all sorts of software problems, compatibility issues and have also not paid the licencing agreements to the GPS database map owners so they can get an updated database, let alone allow the user to even buy an update, because of the software issues. My vehicle still has a Q2-2012 map database and at this rate I will have traded the vehicle in before this gets fixed. The real insulting bit is that the brand new cars Jeep are selling today, March 2018 have a Q2-2015 map database in them and they cannot update them either, what a joke.

So if you are buying a new Jeep Grand Cherokee, be careful and expect your maps may never be updated and if you run out of warranty and something breaks that should not break, don't expect FCA will come to your help and do something about an issue that is clearly a product quality issue.

Attached are a few pictures. Look forward to hearing from any one else. Regard's, JosephR. :mad:

That's very disappointing to read, as FCA through JeepCares as a representative, are aware that this is not just a single event. Yes we have not had 100's of complaints however, as a safety device for the vehicle, I would they would have investigated a little deeper, than just saying "our safety systems in this vehicle are good for the warranty period, after that it's out of our control".
It will be interesting to see if we see more occurrences of this failure with pics looking identical as the first post.
My concern with buying a replacement part would be if the same design will fail again under the same conditions that your vehicle is subjected to. Maybe they are doing a little more test and evaluation, with the issue being discussed here?
Time will tell

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2014 GC did the same thing over the weekend while sitting in my garage. The plastic piece holding the restraint actually landed in the front seat somehow. I am glad no one was in the vehicle when it deployed. I didn't even know the vehicle came with AHRs!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yesterday, Sunday June 3, I discovered that the driver's headrest in my 2015 Grand Cherokee had deployed while parked inside my enclosed garage overnight. Like many of the other Jeep GC Overland owners on here, I was upset to see that this is not an isolated problem, and if I or someone else had been seated and/or driving when this occurred it could have most likely caused a serious injury to me or a loved one.
Therefore, because of the flawed design (small metal rod held in place by two small plastic latches, I filed a complaint with the NHTSA (at NHTSA.gov) and I recommend everyone do the same before someone is injured. FYI, the process in very simple and it is recommended that you include a photo of the flawed piece so that the NHTSA could see which part everyone is having problems with.
* I pray no one is injured before this part is replaced as soon as possible.
Steve cw

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yesterday June 6th 2018, while driving on the freeway my headrest deployed (2014 JGC Overland) and almost caused me to crash. I have 2 kids and often drive other people's kids to youth sports, however, luckily they were not in the car with me at the time. Took it to dealer and the repair is $730. I commute for work so, despite my Jeep being newer, I have high mileage. That being said, I am beyond upset with Jeep. Especially since within 2 years of having the vehicle, my dash leather started coming apart. This is absolutely ridiculous. I meticulously maintain my vehicle and need thousands of dollars in repairs before its even 5 years old?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo. My headrest popped out and hit me in the back of the head rather firmly today while parked in a parking lot. The car has never been in an accident. I am seeing based on this forum this is a very common issue with not a lot of resolve. My vehicle is past mileage for warranty but I'm hoping someone has a way of resolving this without spending $700 on a new headrest. To be honest I didn't even know this was a feature of my headrest until it hit me in the back of the head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a GC 2014, and my head restraint just "exploded" this past weekend. I was sitting in park with the vehicle off when suddenly the passenger head restraint made a loud bang, which scared the crap out of me. I see the same thing as the others on this forum where the plastic piece that attaches to the metal bar has broken and allowed the springs to release. Don't know why Jeep thought that a plastic part could withstand the stress of those springs for any amount of time, or maybe they were only concerned with it lasting for the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.

I opened a case with the jeep special investigations group and they already sent me an email that it is not covered as I am out of warranty. I'm very dissapointed right now with Jeep and their quality control and decision making for using plastic on a high tension part. I'll reach out to jeepcares and see if Jeep is willing to make this right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update: Jeep has said too bad it's out of warranty.

This is ridiculous. I have a 3.5 year old vehicle under 100,000 miles, and a safety system randomly exploded into pieces, and they're calling that normal wear and tear.

So, PSA, Jeep is officially saying that you should not expect your headrests to not fall apart after 3 years because that's "normal". Well, that's not been normal for any other vehicle I've ever owned, so I'll just make sure that my next brand of vehicle is made by a manufacture that knows how to make a car out of something other than 3 year plastic.

·
Registered
2018 WK2 Altitude
138 Posts
File a NHTSA complaint - the more owners who do this, the more FCA will take notice and have to do something about it - a recall, or at least a free repair, hopefully.

41 - 60 of 188 Posts