Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

141 - 160 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The dealership has never heard of this before, but it seems to be a HUGE problem. I was driving down the road and the driver side headrest "deployed". I think it needs to be recalled due to the numbers on here. I drive a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland.
Anyone found a fix other than $500 at the dealership?
(First post here-from Josephine, TX!)

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
As much as I think complaints are often overblown and spoiled owners thinking they deserve everything that goes wrong or wear out on their vehicle replaced under some sort of recall; I have to admit, this is a piece of safety equipment with a high rate of failure (anecdotal evidence at this point), there should be a recall on it.

Registering complaints with the NHTSA that gets recalls implemented is the way to get this done. Enough of them pile up, they look into it.

And watch the video above, seems the Active Head Rest is for people that don't adjust there seats and headrests, nor sit in their seat properly. So, like one person has done, reset his broken AHR with a big zip tie, which disables its deployment; as long as you adjust your seat and headrest properly, and sit in your seat properly, you really don't need it if you have a rear collision.

Anyone found a fix other than $500 at the dealership?
I've seen them on eBay for less than $100, and if you replace it yourself.....

Problem is, I don't think there is a steady stream of them on ebay for that little, so you have to watch and watch and hope to catch the deal. Also, the headrest are different colors to match the interior so you have to find one that matches as well, as the rare deal on ebay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just registered never knew the head rests would do this. 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, had it at the dealership for brakes and oil, picked it up and passenger side was deployed. They said they were going to contact their Chrysler rep and let me know.

I also contacted them through the web and got a case number, not to optimistic after reading this thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just registered never knew the head rests would do this. 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, had it at the dealership for brakes and oil, picked it up and passenger side was deployed. They said they were going to contact their Chrysler rep and let me know.

I also contacted them through the web and got a case number, not to optimistic after reading this thread.

·
Registered
Laredo 4x4
795 Posts
It may be a good thing that it happened at the dealer. They are expected to fix it and it puts direct pressure on Jeep that they have a problem.

·
Premium Member
GC Limited
738 Posts
Will be interesting to see what the outcome is for one that has failed at the Dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dealership said it was a Chrysler issue, understandable.

I contacted Chrysler through chat on the weekend after it happened, of all times, and received a call early Monday morning on the way to work and they are taking care of it.

Really relieved, now for the dealership to get the part in and do the install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, please let me know if anyone with broken headrest "tabs" has any luck getting Jeep to replace the headrest.

My car was sitting in the sun one day and I came out and the driver side "tabs" were broken and the headset was popped. It is not fixable. The dealer wants $700 for just the headrest.

VIN 1C4RJEBGXEC536679

Jon VanderMeer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just adding my name to the list. Pulled out of a parking lot last week in my 2014 GC and boom - driver's headrest popped out. Plastic tabs appear broken, and the dealer wants $994 to replace - not covered under a recall and out of warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dealership said it was a Chrysler issue, understandable.

I contacted Chrysler through chat on the weekend after it happened, of all times, and received a call early Monday morning on the way to work and they are taking care of it.

Really relieved, now for the dealership to get the part in and do the install.
Any luck with Chrysler covering this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My first piece of advice would be to find the same headrest online that matches material and color. I've seen those go anywhere from 150 (black cloth) or 450 (dark brown leather). The dealers mark these up tremendously. The labor should only take about 10 minutes to replace it as that's how long it took me to take the back seat liner off, disconnect the negative battery terminal, and replace the headrest.
If you don't want to shell out that kind of money, there is a post in this thread a page or 2 back that the guy zip tied them together. I did this and it works well. You lose the safety factor, but if you position your headrest correctly, you don't need it.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
Actually, Corporate HQ can often mark up parts tremendously, the Dealer has to charge at least as much as he paid for it, and then many Dealers make an even bigger mark up from there. A good example is the RFID keys, manufacturer pays $7/unit for these from the supplier. Yet they charge the Dealer about $300/unit and the Dealer often charges about $500/unit then a whole hour of service to replace. I've heard stories of good dealerships getting someone a key for about $300, others $650. Meanwhile its a $7 key from the supplier with 5 minutes using the Dealer Electronic Tools. And some models have the ability to program their own keys without the tool (Don't think the WK2 is one of them though).

Don't forget, its not only headrest adjusted properly, its also the seat and your sitting position in the seat. If you recline your seat excessively or slouch excessively in the seat, have the seat pulled up to close to the steering wheel, etc, you defeat a lot of these safety features.

·
Premium Member
GC Limited
738 Posts
This is on the FCA Au web page for the Tackata Airbag recall.
I just hope they have the same concern if my AHR Headrests fail at this known fatigue point. This system is also activated from a signal from the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) so so be treated as a safety system.
"FCA AUSTRALIA regards the safety of our customers and their families as paramount and is fully committed to producing a vehicle with long-lasting reliability."

·
Premium Member
GC Limited
738 Posts
This is on the FCA Au web page for the Tackata Airbag recall.
I just hope they have the same concern if my AHR Headrests fail at this known fatigue point. This system is also activated from a signal from the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) so so be treated as a safety system.
"FCA AUSTRALIA regards the safety of our customers and their families as paramount and is fully committed to producing a vehicle with long-lasting reliability."

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
The Tackata Airbags killed a person, as in, when it deployed the airbag the explosive charge burst its container and produced shrapnel that went into the chest of the woman driving and she died.

I haven't heard of anyone dying from Active Headrest yet.....

The manufacturer's told everyone pressuring them that this is the risk of airbags, but those pressuring them to put airbags into their cars apparently wanted explosive charges in their vehicle. Perhaps those insisting they knew better than the manufacturers, didn't really know better? If you look at the Tackata air bag scenario, its a toss up, just as much argument they screwed it up (they should have engineered a bigger safety factor into the containers for the charges) as this is the risk of having explosive charges in your vehicle, you said you wanted it, (the failure of cases come from prolonged exposure to humidity and then drying out with prolonged exposure to low humidity, causing the charge to shrink and pull away from the wall of the container and removing the tamping effect of the container wall, which I'm sure everyone here would have anticipated that would happen if they designed and tested the charge)........

·
Premium Member
GC Limited
738 Posts
I get the difference, what I was meaning is that the Airbag and AHR are part of the vehicle safety features.
They both have design related issues leading to potential fatigue failures. Being a safety feature, the OEM should stand behind their product. For the most part FCA are repairing some of the failed AHR identified in this thread. Hopefully the are recovering costs from the AHR OEM.
Yep don't know of anyone who has died from an uncommanded AHR deployment however, it may be a causal factor in a serious accident or death in the future.
But lets Hope not!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
I agree, its safety equipment and should be replaced if it is defective. The evidence is anecdotal, but it appears more than a few failures are a design or material flaw in the device.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's an update!
FCA customer care was great, I think the first one I talked with was a little optimistic with the dealership I was dealing with. The dealership turned out to be a big dud, to put very nicely. I won't be back to that place for anything.

Had to start a new case, they couldn't get the dealership to even return their calls. Changed to Steve Landers in Little Rock and they took care of everything.

They have to order one part and it should be in in the morning, if all goes well should have my Jeep back before lunch tomorrow.

Two weeks since it happened and if I would have went with a dealership that actually cared about their customers, it would have been done then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's an update!
FCA customer care was great, I think the first one I talked with was a little optimistic with the dealership I was dealing with. The dealership turned out to be a big dud, to put very nicely. I won't be back to that place for anything.

Had to start a new case, they couldn't get the dealership to even return their calls. Changed to Steve Landers in Little Rock and they took care of everything.

They have to order one part and it should be in in the morning, if all goes well should have my Jeep back before lunch tomorrow.

Two weeks since it happened and if I would have went with a dealership that actually cared about their customers, it would have been done then.

141 - 160 of 188 Posts