Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I got in my Jeep yesterday after it being parked in the driveway overnight, to notice that the active headrest on the passenger side was sticking out. After closer inspection, I came to find that the tabs at the top of the headrest were broken so it cannot be re-engaged. Has anyone else had an issue with the headrests? I know that there was a recall on other vehicles a few years ago, but haven't heard anything on Jeeps. I'm glad that it didn't happen to the driver side while my wife or I was driving. I'm sure it would have caused us to wreck with something smacking into the back of our heads unexpectedly.

I took the Jeep into the dealership to see if it would happen to be under warranty, and since it is over 36k miles it is no longer covered. It was going to cost $470 for the replacement and $120 for labor. Anyone have any idea to where I might be able to get just the plastic headrest backing part instead of replacing the entire unit? None of the junk yards in a 3 hour radius have a 2011+ WK2 and everywhere that I have found online sells only the entire assembly.

Recall Link: http://www.autonews.com/article/20130703/OEM11/130709941/chrysler-recalls-840000-vehicles-mostly-in-u.s.-for-headrests
Jeep is replacing my head rest for FREE on 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited. Just called into customer service to start the process.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
An actual recall would be announced by the NHTSA....

Sometimes the manufacturer's do a Goodwill Policy toward a known problem, and they don't advertise it to much to prevent everyone from rushing in to take advantage of it....

Basically, if you complain enough, they'll fix a known problem for you at discount or even free....

The appearance of the situation (anecdotal, so it might not be true) they may be only a couple of complaints to the NHTSA shy of triggering an investigation and recall, so that might be behind FCA change of heart and starting to fix this for complaining customers....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well what exactly did you do/say to get this result??? I literally just hung up the phone with them and they will not do anything about my 2015 with the same issue. Mine has 91,000 miles and I am the second owner. Why does that
Make a difference if this is a known problem ????

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
Well what exactly did you do/say to get this result??? I literally just hung up the phone with them and they will not do anything about my 2015 with the same issue. Mine has 91,000 miles and I am the second owner. Why does that
Make a difference if this is a known problem ????
I forgot to mention it might also be "Jeep Cares" coming through for the one poster that said he got some satisfaction....

Personally, I'd prefer a company make the investment in quality to prevent the negative complaints, instead of just going after the most vocal complainers and satisfy them so their complaints don't get heard by the rest that they refuse to help....

Go to the NHTSA website and find where you can register safety complaints. Be honest, the AHR is a piece of safety equipment, it failed "materially" in that a piece of it actually broke and thus has to be replaced. That anecdotal evidence is that this is not an isolated incidence and there are plenty of complaints of the exact same material failure in the exact same spot on the same safety equipment on many vehicles of this make and model.

Or the next time you talk to customer service mention you'll be registering this complaint with the NHTSA.

NHTSA gets enough complaints, they may open an investigation and force a recall if they find a defect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2014 Jeep GC Limited a few weeks ago and today the driver side headrest deployed and will not reset. Can anyone give any advice on how to get good results on repairing or replacing said headrest. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found out that this "sudden mechanical failure" is covered by my comprehensive insurance policy. If Jeep hadn't fixed it I would have had an insurance claim to cover everything but my deductible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just adding my name to the list. Pulled out of a parking lot last week in my 2014 GC and boom - driver's headrest popped out. Plastic tabs appear broken, and the dealer wants $994 to replace - not covered under a recall and out of warranty.
I contacted JeepCares after I made this post, and within 3 days got a call from Detroit that Jeep was going to cover the replacement "as a sign of goodwill." My local dealer installed the new headrest yesterday, and told me to bring it back when the passenger side breaks. :LOL:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also having the headrest issue on my 2014 GC. I will be filing a complaint to NHTSA and reaching out to Jeep Cares. Hopefully I can get somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This just happened with our 2015 GC. Happened over night in the garage the drivers side headrest. Anyone have any updated advice on how to handle the situation?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened tonight with my 2016 Jeep Compass with only 3600 miles on it. The passenger side deployed without provocation when driving it down a residential street going approximately 15 mph. Fortunately, a passenger was not sitting in the passenger seat when it deployed. It appears that a plastic part broke, which caused the deployment. I have an appointment with the Jeep dealership on Friday. I am afraid to drive the vehicle now after reading articles about people suffering concussions from their Jeep headrest deploying without provocation. Apparently, there are several lawsuits pending regarding these defective headrests. SHAME ON JEEP FOR NOT REPLACING THESE HEADRESTS FREE OF CHARGE!!! THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE CAUSED BY A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened tonight with my 2016 Jeep Compass with only 3600 miles on it. The passenger side deployed without provocation when driving it down a residential street going approximately 15 mph. Fortunately, a passenger was not sitting in the passenger seat when it deployed. It appears that a plastic part broke, which caused the deployment. I have an appointment with the Jeep dealership on Friday. I am afraid to drive the vehicle now after reading articles about people suffering concussions from their Jeep headrest deploying without provocation. Apparently, there are several lawsuits pending regarding these defective headrests. SHAME ON JEEP FOR NOT REPLACING THESE HEADRESTS FREE OF CHARGE!!! THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE CAUSED BY A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT.
Hey, I'm sorry this also happened to you ! I read all of the crazy stories also and watched a new video about it ! I reached out to jeeps customer service and gave them my two sense about the situation and essentially told them they are lucky I wasnt injured. It was a long process but I think they may be paying for the replacement ! You should reach out and chat with them !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem. I have a Jeep GC 2015 and it only has 52k miles. I was driving down the highway and the passenger headrest popped out and hit my husband in the head. Can I get some help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem as everyone else in this discussion - came out to my car one morning and the passenger headrest is completely broken. I own a 2015 Jeep GRAND CHEROKEE Overland with 76K miles. I was told $895 to fix it. Crazy! I need help fixing this. Any advice as to what worked to get this done is so appreciated.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
Register a complaint with the NHTSA about safety.... ....this is safety equipment and it seems to be same thing failing on all of them, the same way, the plastic hook that retains the AHR against the spring.... ....that sounds like defect to me, if the NHTSA gets enough complaints it will start an investigation....

Include a photo of the part that is broken, or at least describe it properly, cause everyone reported on this long thread is the plastic hook that retains the AHR against the spring.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Register a complaint with the NHTSA about safety.... ....this is safety equipment and it seems to be same thing failing on all of them, the same way, the plastic hook that retains the AHR against the spring.... ....that sounds like defect to me, if the NHTSA gets enough complaints it will start an investigation....

Include a photo of the part that is broken, or at least describe it properly, cause everyone reported on this long thread is the plastic hook that retains the AHR against the spring.....
Thanks for the advice. I did that and called JeepCares to start a case. This is most definitely a safety issue and feel they should replace the headrest at no cost to the owner.

161 - 180 of 188 Posts