Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the exact same problem! I own two Jeep’s and was an avid Jeep supporter until reading this forum. I have a 2017 compass with 36k miles on it and this is clearly a Jeep issue that needs to be fixed without us paying thousands just to have it happen again in a couple years.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee in Florida which is out of warranty. It's unbelievable FCA is not doing anything about this when this is so obviously a defect.
I ordered one of the screens off ebay for $550 and will replace it myself without paying for a whole new radio which Jeep wants to charge $1000+. Unfortunately I'm leaving on a 1800 mile trip tomorrow before the screen will arrive and I know this is going to drive me insane...

Has anyone tried peeling the entire top layer off the screen? I'm wondering if that might stop the ghost touches until I get the screen replaced...

I might just try it and post what happens...
Thanks!
I know you posted this three months ago, posted once and haven't been back since but I saw an eBay listing for replacement uConnect new screens for a little over $100. If mine was bubbling and was no longer under warranty I might try something like that before spending a whole lot more for a new radio.

I'd post the link but I don't know if we can post eBay links on here.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hello everyone,

We're saddened to hear that you are experiencing similar concerns with your Uconnect touchscreens delaminating. If you'd like us to look into your vehicle and review your information for further assistance, please send us a private message with your current mileage & VIN so we can get started.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello everyone,

We're saddened to hear that you are experiencing similar concerns with your Uconnect touchscreens delaminating. If you'd like us to look into your vehicle and review your information for further assistance, please send us a private message with your current mileage & VIN so we can get started.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Mine is having the same issue. Sadly it’s out of warranty. It’s a 2018 with 45k on it. I need to see about getting this fixed bc I travel a lot and depend on my screen working but the dealership is going to charge an outrageous amount of money to fix an issue that apparently is common with these radios. This should be something the manufacturer should be responsible for since it’s such a common issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine is having the same issue. Sadly it’s out of warranty. It’s a 2018 with 45k on it. I need to see about getting this fixed bc I travel a lot and depend on my screen working but the dealership is going to charge an outrageous amount of money to fix an issue that apparently is common with these radios. This should be something the manufacturer should be responsible for since it’s such a common issue.
I have the same issue. I contacted InfoTainment in Oviedo, FL and they replaced the screen for about $400 in November 2020. I'm getting the bubbles again and they are going to warranty replace it. I can't keep doing this every 7 months... Dodge/Chrysler knows, but they obviously don't care.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Replacement screens can be found on eBay for a little over $100.
The screen isn't the issue for me- its the digitizer (what you touch) that is in FRONT of the digital screen. There is a sticky layer of material between the digitizer and the screen. when that goop gets really hot, it begins to liquify and run down between the to pieces causing the bubble. Once it gets big enough, it will create "ghost touches" on the screen making the unit completely inoperable. I absolutely HATE this unit.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The screen isn't the issue for me- its the digitizer (what you touch) that is in FRONT of the digital screen. There is a sticky layer of material between the digitizer and the screen. when that goop gets really hot, it begins to liquify and run down between the to pieces causing the bubble. Once it gets big enough, it will create "ghost touches" on the screen making the unit completely inoperable. I absolutely HATE this unit.
If you look at that video, what he replaces is the screen that you touch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw that! (y) Interesting that the screen didn't have all the goop that mine has within the two pieces of glass. His appeared to be connected around the edge. When I first took my radio out of the console, there was that sticky substance ALL OVER the bottom of the console area where it leaked out from the bottom of the radio. It was awful to try and clean.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Curious why people experiencing this issue aren’t run away from OEM and UConnect as fast as possible and going aftermarket?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Curious why people experiencing this issue aren’t run away from OEM and UConnect as fast as possible and going aftermarket?
Because EVERYTHING is controlled through the head unit- A/C, heated and vented seats, radio, Sport Mode (in my Challenger). Atomakers are running everything into the unit so aftermarket radios won't be able to be used since you'll lose functionality of other options in the car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Because EVERYTHING is controlled through the head unit- A/C, heated and vented seats, radio, Sport Mode (in my Challenger). Atomakers are running everything into the unit so aftermarket radios won't be able to be used since you'll lose functionality of other options in the car.
I overlooked the obvious thanks. Jeep really needs to step up and take care of this with a recall and replacement regardless of warranty status. They can do that with the leather covered dashes.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

Replacement screens can be found on eBay for a little over $100.
You replaced the touch screen and the LCD display together as a unit. Where did you get that assembly?
Do you have a part # and source for that assembly? Thanks

·
Registered
805 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
That wasn't my video, just a YouTube video I found via a Google search. If you watch the video from the YouTube website it has a link for the replacement screen. I pasted it below.

Uconnect 3C 8.4A VP3 & 8.4AN VP4 Radio Replacement TOUCH-SCREEN GLASS DIGITIZER
Thanks for that link but it appears to be just the touchscreen not the assembly including the touchscreen and the LCD display beneath. Also what you linked to is only for pre 2018 headunits not the newer problematic 2018 headunits that are made by a different manufacturer than the earlier headunits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue with my 2017 Compass. This is absolutely ridiculous it hasn't already been recalled especially considering everyone talking about it pushing random buttons on the screen. Has anyone had is start messing around with any of the safety settings yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great news! Got a message from @DodgeCares. in it they say, the care but there's nothing they can do and there is no recall. But knowing they care means more than them fixing it, right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have an appointment tomorrow for this exact issue on out 2018 compass. Were at 37k. From what I'm reading we will be ditching BOTH our jeeps if this is not fixed. We have an extended warranty and I will be livid if Jeep doesnt do their due diligence. I think we all need to be making phone calls and putting jeep on blast for this. It shows a distinct lack of care to allow customers to buy (what jeep knows is) faulty products. Oh and they know at this point.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts