Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, it'll probably look silly, but I'm only 2900 miles in and I already have lots of chips on the hood and some hefty stone chips in the windscreen.
Anyone put one on a TH? If so, is it any good?
My previous Jeep was a 2013 GC Ltd and it had the windscreen shattered, so I know GC are prone to damage from rocks and stones on the highway...

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
I know, it'll probably look silly, but I'm only 2900 miles in and I already have lots of chips on the hood and some hefty stone chips in the windscreen.

My previous Jeep was a 2013 GC Ltd and it had the windscreen shattered, so I know GC are prone to damage from rocks and stones on the highway...

Just wrap the hood with ppf and call it a day....but it is your car so do what you wish...I never use the sunroof so I can’t comment

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't want to wrap the hood because I love the Redline 2 color.

What has your sunroof got to do with my question? Confused!!

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Don't want to wrap the hood because I love the Redline 2 color.

What has your sunroof got to do with my question? Confused!!

I thought you were talking about the wind deflector screen when sun roof is opened as well. Some people put a tinted deflector on the roof as well...

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Ahhh. That makes sense now. Thanks.

Still think xpel on hood is best way to go....won’t take away from redline 2 which is a beautiful color....

·
Registered
Jeep
5 Posts
I plan to put a Jeep OEM bug deflector on my 2018 WK2 Trailhawk. Did you remove the 20" black weatherstrip/water deflector under the right side of the hood that keep water from gushing into the air intake? If so, is there any way to reattach the weatherstrip to the bug deflector? I am concerned about removing the 20" black weatherstrip/water deflector under the right side of the hood, but I do not plan to travel through deep water. I have a hood bug deflector on my older WK GC jeep 4.7 and my Chevy Truck and they do a good job of keeping small bugs and pebbles from crashing my windshield.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Still think xpel on hood is best way to go....won’t take away from redline 2 which is a beautiful color....
This. xpel is clear. you'll only know its there if you know where to look. my TH is the 4th car ive had done. dont regret it. i did full hood, nose, fenders, mirrors, a-pillar, front 12-14" of roof, rockers, rear fender flares, rear bumper cover and to protect the door sills, i had those done too since feet tend to catch them getting in/out. This is most film ive used on a vehicle. my past ones were all just the nose and partial front fenders partial hood, mirrors, rockers. its worth the investment if you dont want chips and stuff.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jeep OEM bug deflector on my '17 GC Limited (installed by the dealer before putting out on the lot) left five marks on the hood that will not come out even with buffing. Apparently not well designed.

·
Registered
TrackHawk
99 Posts
It won't matter in my opinion. I have a wrapped TH and have a chipped windshield and a tear from a rock in a wrapped bumper.

·
Registered
Jeep
5 Posts
I agree that the OEM Jeep bug deflector (MOPAR Part 82212047AB001 Deflector Air) that I purchased is of poor design. There are 5 metal clips that attach under the hood to the deflector that will potentially scratch the front edge of the hood. Also I must remove the weatherstrip protecting the air intake from water. Has anyone installed a bug deflector and removed the weatherstrip (picture)?

The OEM bug deflector on my 2000 GC has 4 screws that attach the deflector under the hood without additional clips on the deflector. It has 5 bumpers that keep the deflector from touching the hood and has worked without a scratch to my hood for 18 years. I am seeking the best method to keep bugs from splatting my windshield. I may need to wait for a Weathertech bug/air deflector to be available or a redesign of the OEM Jeep bug deflector. mike

Attachments

·
Registered
Jeep
5 Posts
Weathertech does offer a Bug Deflector for 2018 GC Trailhawk https://assets.weathertech.com/assets/1/25/WTBF94.pdf.
It retains the weatherstrip under the hood on drivers side, and uses 3 fasteners that attach the deflector in pre drilled holes, but it requires one self tapping screw and one clip to attach the deflector to each side of the weatherstrip. So I must create just one new hole and use one metal clip. However I retain the weatherstrip protection for the air intake. I'm not sure I want this Weathertech solution but may be better than the MOPAR OEM solution. Has anyone installed the Weathertech bug deflector on a 2018 GC Trailhawk or similar with the weatherstrip/water diverter?

·
Registered
Jeep
5 Posts
Weathertech does offer a Bug Deflector for 2018 GC Trailhawk https://assets.weathertech.com/assets/1/25/WTBF94.pdf.
It retains the weatherstrip under the hood on drivers side, and uses 3 fasteners that attach the deflector in pre drilled holes, but it requires one self tapping screw and one clip to attach the deflector to each side of the weatherstrip. So I must create just one new hole and use one metal clip. However I retain the weatherstrip protection for the air intake. I'm not sure I want this Weathertech solution but may be better than the MOPAR OEM solution. Has anyone installed the Weathertech bug deflector on a 2018 GC Trailhawk or similar with the weatherstrip/water diverter?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts