Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Laredo
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what the build date means. Is it when the vehicle is completed or when it is started?

I contracted on 25 August to buy a car with a nominated build date of 17 August but was advised by Jeep on 17 September that the vehicle was not going to be built due to supply issues. I am just trying to understand the process for my further discussions with Jeep.

·
Super Moderator
10,322 Posts
They produce as many as 800 of them a day, so a "build date" kinda, sorta is the day it's scheduled to pass down the line. That said, the company is constrained on parts right now which is causing production delays...just like it is for every other manufacturer. So the historically normal 4-8 weeks from order is blown out of the water by big margins. There is never any guarantee for things like a build date or delivery.

As an aside, some folks buying top trim WK-75 (3 row JGC-L) are getting them without some features, like QL, because of parts availability including chips.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My dealership said up to 90 days...
But from walking in to order to delivery was 7 weeks and 2 days for delivery for my jeep grand cherokee Ltd 4x4, it helped that I put a large deposit down so he marked it sold, that's why it was a shorter wait time then stated, and this was during the chip shortage yoo.

·
Registered
Laredo
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They produce as many as 800 of them a day, so a "build date" kinda, sorta is the day it's scheduled to pass down the line. That said, the company is constrained on parts right now which is causing production delays...just like it is for every other manufacturer. So the historically normal 4-8 weeks from order is blown out of the water by big margins. There is never any guarantee for things like a build date or delivery.

As an aside, some folks buying top trim WK-75 (3 row JGC-L) are getting them without some features, like QL, because of parts availability including chips.
So are you saying a build date is a scheduled date and not an actual date. The point is I contracted the car after the build date so both me and the dealer thought that meant it was built. I understand about the delays but if the build date was delayed, why would it take Jeep almost 5 weeks to advise that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So are you saying a build date is a scheduled date and not an actual date. The point is I contracted the car after the build date so both me and the dealer thought that meant it was built. I understand about the delays but if the build date was delayed, why would it take Jeep almost 5 weeks to advise that.
Yes they're different. You're dealer will printout your dealership order (this not from Jeep) he'll first get a purchase order confirmation with a VIN & VON alittle over a week or so, a notication that the factory received it (factory manager is awareof it) then in about two weeks he'll get another for the built it self and finally that's it's in route with estimated delivery date. I found out on my own once it's on it's way, it's about 14 days until delivery to your dealership barring any problems. Then its just bitting your nails for the actual delivery, there's a whole process once that starts. If you're not local to the factory it starts by rail to a regional waypiont, the final stage is by truck to the dealership. It can be sitting there like forever it seems until there's enough vehicles being delivered to your local area. Jeep has a YouTube channel on they're factory amongst other things. Just remember that it's out of your dealership's hands at thi point, but helps to keep in polite contact once a week to stay in the loop.

Addendum: old man with CRS remembering facts after posting.. hence the extensive edit.

·
Super Moderator
10,322 Posts
There is always going to be the chance of some difference between "expected" and "actual" when it comes to vehicle production and when you get that date (where you are in the process) will also reflect whether it's a plan or something that happened. Raider' is correct that it's a complex thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Remember they have to install whatever options you selected, be inspected and if they find anything wrong fix it. Also at the holding yard it can be damaged or stolen.... then it starts all over again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can someone tell me what the build date means. Is it when the vehicle is completed or when it is started?

I contracted on 25 August to buy a car with a nominated build date of 17 August but was advised by Jeep on 17 September that the vehicle was not going to be built due to supply issues. I am just trying to understand the process for my further discussions with Jeep.
If it helps, I ordered my 24AUG and received the notice 2 days ago that the shipping date is on 2OCT... which is a total of 6 weeks

·
Registered
Laredo
49 Posts
Thank you!
Future new Jeep owner here! Just ordered my 2021 GC Laredo yesterday (09/20/2021) due to 3 different dealers in my area (eastern-PA) not having the exact vehicle I wanted. The good thing is I finally got the price I wanted with the 3rd dealer so it pays to be patient!

Would love to hear how your experience plays out as you get closer to your ship date and delivery date.

I didn't make too many custom requests so I am really hoping I am 6 weeks or less for the time it takes to get to the dealer.

I did have one question - I got my build order sheet from the salesman I dealt with the same day we agreed on the deal and when I put my deposit down - yesterday. He placed the order as "1-Sold Order". However I did not get a VON or VIN number. Should I expect to receive this fairly soon?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got a printout with von and vin about 4 days after placing the order at the dealer.

the factory where the gc is built was shutdown during august and started back begging of September so lots were seeing much longer than 8weeks.

i ordered 7/27 and have a 9/25 expected ship date.

·
Registered
Laredo
49 Posts
I got a printout with von and vin about 4 days after placing the order at the dealer.

the factory where the gc is built was shutdown during august and started back begging of September so lots were seeing much longer than 8weeks.

i ordered 7/27 and have a 9/25 expected ship date.
Was not aware of that....Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Future new Jeep owner here! Just ordered my 2021 GC Laredo yesterday (09/20/2021) due to 3 different dealers in my area (eastern-PA) not having the exact vehicle I wanted. The good thing is I finally got the price I wanted with the 3rd dealer so it pays to be patient!

Would love to hear how your experience plays out as you get closer to your ship date and delivery date.

I didn't make too many custom requests so I am really hoping I am 6 weeks or less for the time it takes to get to the dealer.

I did have one question - I got my build order sheet from the salesman I dealt with the same day we agreed on the deal and when I put my deposit down - yesterday. He placed the order as "1-Sold Order". However I did not get a VON or VIN number. Should I expect to receive this fairly soon?
Read my previous post on what yo except.

·
Registered
Laredo
49 Posts
Read my previous post on what yo except.
Thanks! Also just scrolled through your other replies…your red GC is awesome looking…

So you waited ~8 weeks? Did that include a factory shutdown of any sorts? I’m hearing the WK2 factory may be shutting down next week. Not sure how long it’ll be shutdown for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks! Also just scrolled through your other replies…your red GC is awesome looking…

So you waited ~8 weeks? Did that include a factory shutdown of any sorts? I’m hearing the WK2 factory may be shutting down next week. Not sure how long it’ll be shutdown for.
This was in the Middle of the computer chip shortage and it was literally shipped out the day before thier factory parking lots was flooded from the big storm that hit them that month. Thanks, funny thing is there was no red GC's in NYC until mine... then right after I started driving it.... they began popping up like Tribbles after munching down on stored grain

·
Registered
Laredo
49 Posts
Oh wow. Some great timing right there!

I seriously cannot wait to get my hands on mine! I have the base model coming in but it’s still an upgrade from my previous car (2019 Honda Accord).

First Jeep, have to start somewhere! And I’m very glad I got the WK2.

·
Registered
145 Posts

1. I did have a pleasant experience however, I did need to push my salesman for info regarding my VIN - and he eventually gave it to me... it was within a week
2. Make sure you request a "Bill of Sale" from your dealership. It's all good with the hand shakes however, self preservation is #1 and a dealership does screw some people over... so make sure you get it in the print saying you plan on purchasing your vehicle on what you agreed on... I did a deposit too and it was included in the price, which was since to see
3. There may also be rebates when your vehicle arrives, which is free (LOL) money to you. You can apply that and negotiate a lower price on your vehicle.
4. Laugh at all the electric vehicles because a V6 and V8 gets more range than a Tesla, is the same weight (yes, even a Model 3), and liquid fuel is more efficient and faster for fill ups. I think the break even point between the 2 vehicles is near 8 years or something like that
5. I have nothing against Tesla as it is part of the good ol' American capitalism. Jeep seems to serve a better utility.

·
Registered
Laredo
49 Posts
Thanks!

I received the Build Sheet from my salesman which included the details of what he ordered for me and the total price of the car.

Also received was a copy of the Cash Options and Lease Options that were discussed and agreed upon the day of order. He said these could change by maximum $15/month depending on the incentives at the time the vehicle comes in. He mentioned that he rarely sees the changes being dramatic and that they are usually always able to negotiate back to the agreed upon price if any increases do occur. Not sure if that’s just sales BS but I’ll take his word for it.

Are these different from the “Bill of Sale”? I haven’t signed anything yet - only a deposit of $500.

Also, what’s your take on the WK2 JNAP being shut down this week? I’m really hoping in my scenario that they already have a 2021 GC Laredo ready for sale and waiting for a customer name to be assigned to it so it’ll still only take 6-8 weeks? Mines a basic model - Black exterior/Black interior. No clue though…

This is a new process for me so any info helps! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts