Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put this small bumper protector on my Jeep the other day. It goes around the plate and sticks out about 2" on the sides and the plate is toward the back. I figured it would give me some protection with parking lots/parallel parking.

Does anyone know if these are technically illegal since they can obscure the plate from the sides somewhat?

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,576 Posts
I put this small bumper protector on my Jeep the other day. It goes around the plate and sticks out about 2" on the sides and the plate is toward the back. I figured it would give me some protection with parking lots/parallel parking.

Does anyone know if these are technically illegal since they can obscure the plate from the sides somewhat?

I think front license plates should be illegal. Don't know about NY law but in AZ it's illegal to cover up the top part of the plate where it says "Arizona" and I assume the same would be true for anyone with out of state plates. Luckily we don't have any front plates. It's also illegal here to put on plate covers to try and make photo radar not be able to get a photo.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think front license plates should be illegal. Don't know about NY law but in AZ it's illegal to cover up the top part of the plate where it says "Arizona" and I assume the same would be true for anyone with out of state plates. Luckily we don't have any front plates. It's also illegal here to put on plate covers to try and make photo radar not be able to get a photo.
Yeah I wish we didn't need a front plate in NY. We have the same issue with the darkening covers because of the red light cameras which cause a ton of accidents here as everyone is afraid to get a ticket because the red light was on .010 seconds before they made it through the intersections so they slam on their brakes.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,462 Posts
I've seen these at my local AutoZone. I've have a tough time believing they will do anything at all to protect your bumper.

But I have had taps of the bumper with other cars, that didn't damage the bumper but damaged the license plate. So perhaps this might serve to protect the license plate only in those tiny taps of bumpers situations.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen these at my local AutoZone. I've have a tough time believing they will do anything at all to protect your bumper.

But I have had taps of the bumper with other cars, that didn't damage the bumper but damaged the license plate. So perhaps this might serve to protect the license plate only in those tiny taps of bumpers situations.
I got a mainly for the times I parallel park. It might not do alot, but if they feel they made contact with the bumper guard first they might be more inclined to not keep backing up and causing some damage.

It's actually installed over the original plate holder so it sticks out pretty far. I was going to remove the original plate holder but the screws didn't line up and didn't want to drive new holes into the bumper

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,462 Posts
True, if you just kiss the bumper it could prevent scratching bumpers for both vehicles. That nudge so they stop before really pressing up against the fascia, perhaps.

Other than scratches or denting up the license plate, when bumpers just kiss, I don't think it would be much help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts