Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2014 GC Summit a month ago and I recently found out that I have 3 bent rims. This obviously means that the wheels cannot be properly balanced which results in steering wheel shake at 70+mph. My local mechanic was the one who showed me the rims while they were on the balancer so Jeep is unaware that I have three bent rims. Does Mopar sell extended warranties without inspecting the car? In other words, can I buy a wheel/tire warranty and then go to a jeep dealership to have the three rims replaced under warranty?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I bought my wheel and tire warranty online from a dealer across the country (from one frequently mentioned on here). $285 for 7 years (I think). So no, they don’t inspect the car beforehand.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Aside from the ethical considerations that should be clear, don't you think that the nice folks at Mopar might give you the hairy eyeball if you buy the tire/wheel coverage on a vehicle that's recently titled to you and then suddenly have three replacement requests? Have you gone back to the seller about this issue at least to discuss? Yea, there may not be a warranty on a used vehicle, but sometimes you can get some level of assistance for something that is safety related, etc.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
This kind of stuff is why warranties are expensive as they are... Always someone out there trying to &$%^ the system.....!

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,629 Posts
This kind of stuff is why warranties are expensive as they are... Always someone out there trying to &$%^ the system.....!
x2 you could take the wheels to an actual wheel repair shop. and also Stock NON-SRT complete set of rims can be had under $1000 all day even with tires if you look.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just is frustrating to me that jeep produces a vehicle where the rims are soft enough to bend. Now to replace those three rims is $1800+ dollars on a car that is 3 years old with 35k miles on it. I’ve been talking to the dealer where I bought the car so I’ll see where that goes.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,629 Posts
Just is frustrating to me that jeep produces a vehicle where the rims are soft enough to bend. Now to replace those three rims is $1800+ dollars on a car that is 3 years old with 35k miles on it. I’ve been talking to the dealer where I bought the car so I’ll see where that goes.
Wheels Soft to bend...

More like previous owner Just hit curbs and every pot hole imaginable. and 1800 that's Absurd i've seen Overland Factory rim sets for $1000-1200 with tires on them.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
I agree that three wheels with this issue is likely due to significant misuse by a previous owner...I've unfortunately hit holes and even "curb rashed" a wheel on my MY12 and have had zero issues like this myself. There are far more folks (anecdotally) who have reported minor finish corrosion issues than any kind of functional problem with the OEM wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rims have no curb rash and look to be in phenomenal shape just like the rest of the vehicle. Whether or not the previous owner "abused" the GC by hitting pot holes, I still find it absurd that 3 of the 4 rims bent. Anyways, $1000 is reasonable for the replacement, but my local jeep dealer quoted about $620 per rim plus install. Not sure if it is possible to have a shop try to repair the warped wheels. Anyone have an idea on repair price?

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,629 Posts
The rims have no curb rash and look to be in phenomenal shape just like the rest of the vehicle. Whether or not the previous owner "abused" the GC by hitting pot holes, I still find it absurd that 3 of the 4 rims bent. Anyways, $1000 is reasonable for the replacement, but my local jeep dealer quoted about $620 per rim plus install. Not sure if it is possible to have a shop try to repair the warped wheels. Anyone have an idea on repair price?
Check the Forums For sale section Front page i found this. $700 for 5 rims and tires!

http://jeepgarage.org/f12/2012-wk2-20-x-5-oem-chrome-wheels-and-tires-84796.html

·
Registered
305 Posts
Are they warped or bent? Big difference. Why would you go to a dealer to take care of this unless they were going to cover it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts