Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am currently entertaining the idea of getting into a JGC; I like the exterior design, all of the tech features, and that it has 4x4. I own a 2016 Toyota Tacoma, so I am mostly worried about reliability coming from a bulletproof Toyota. I have searched this forum to see how common it is for people to have issues, which seems to be pretty often. However, I still wanted to take a poll, are you guys happy with your Jeeps? We're getting ready for a baby so the space of an SUV with the off-road capabilities is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'll go first.... I bought a 2014 JGC Sport.... It had 58,000 miles..... Have played with it for a few years.... Added a few parts.... I live in MT, so we get snow.... This thing is a tank in the snow.... Take that to heart if you live where 4x4 is needed.... Mine is all wheel drive.... Based on that little.... Put gas in it, did regular oil changes (5000, or less miles).... Guys will cringe when they read that.... 10,000 is good... Never heard of any oil change being bad..... Sorry got lost..... A three years later, 25,000 miles added..... I would buy this rig right now!!!!!! It is the perfect "Old Man" 4x4.... I am 54, will I take this to the mountains and mess around, yes..... Am I going airborne with it, no..... But it handles great, ride is very comfortable..... And you can haul alot in these.... I have a construction company.... So I say jump on into the Jeep waters.... I've enjoyed it..... Good luck brother!!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Friends owned 3 Mitsubishi Outlanders over 8 years. They LOVED them.
The need for greater towing capacity and a friendly dealership got him to trade for a 2017 JGC Limited with 24K.
They really love theirs. I've only done 2 oil changes on it but I like what I see.
Here I've read of split coolant "T's" needing replacement with metal ones and finicky dashboard electronics.

You know what they say, "Get behind the wheel of as many as you can".
As always, avoid any fancy, self-leveling suspension unless you know what you're doing.
Happy shopping.
I don't know if established practice suggests reporting back to this thread after you see a few or if a new thread is always called for.

·
Registered
2020 Trailhawk
52 Posts
I'm 62 and have been driving since I was 15 and you would have to pry my cold dead fingers off the steering wheel. I feel safe in this and love sitting in that drivers seat.

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
I have searched this forum to see how common it is for people to have issues, which seems to be pretty often. However, I still wanted to take a poll, are you guys happy with your Jeeps?
Keep in mind that forums and social media tend to draw complaints/issues much, much more that praises and it will skew the overall picture of what the reality is. And that's not just for JGC. Hundreds of thousands of them are sold every year. Hundreds complain online.

In general, the JGC is a safe, reliable and very functional midsize SUV that has an almost dominant market share in its space. Now if you want a "WK2", keep in mind that production will soon end for this generation of JGC with next generation coming out in a few months. Don't wait if you want a new "WK2", in other words.

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
306 Posts
Hello all, I am currently entertaining the idea of getting into a JGC; I like the exterior design, all of the tech features, and that it has 4x4. I own a 2016 Toyota Tacoma, so I am mostly worried about reliability coming from a bulletproof Toyota. I have searched this forum to see how common it is for people to have issues, which seems to be pretty often. However, I still wanted to take a poll, are you guys happy with your Jeeps? We're getting ready for a baby so the space of an SUV with the off-road capabilities is what I'm looking for. Thanks!
I’m happy with my Jeep but I wouldn’t purchase it again now that I’ve owned one. The car is great but when it isn’t, the dealership will make your life a hell. These cars may some reliability issues, but who really knows the severity. Another thing to note is that the headrest is defective and can pop out anytime (causing a possible injury or worse). The interior can feel a bit cheap for the price, I would personally make a list of potential vehicles and test drive them all. You can see how certain years have more issues than others. But my main issue is the dealership, can’t be without a car for 2 weeks before they even take a look at the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it! I definitely plan on taking several vehicles out for some test drives, though I'm slightly leaning towards keeping the Tacoma for peace of mind. From what I'm reading, the Hemi might be better in terms of reliability and drive experience without sacrificing too much on the MPGs. Does anyone here have experience with the V8 as opposed to the 6?

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
You will be fine with either the V6 or the V8. Both are reliable power plants; the V8 like forever, and any issues with the V6 were largely confined to the time period of its initial debut.

There are lots of MPG threads that should be helpful to you.

Reactions: Mercaduu

·
Registered
22 Posts
we've had a 2011 Laredo, no problems with it ever. Traded it in on a 2016 Limited, never had any issues with it either.
Traded that in on a 2021 Trailhawk and love it as well.
This will likely be the last one we get just because we don't like the new models styling.
Absolutely love these JGC's they are great vehicles year round and just as dependable as anything else out there.
Super comfortable on long drives and can hold a lot of stuff when you need it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Friends owned 3 Mitsubishi Outlanders over 8 years. They LOVED them.
The need for greater towing capacity and a friendly dealership got him to trade for a 2017 JGC Limited with 24K.
They really love theirs. I've only done 2 oil changes on it but I like what I see.
Here I've read of split coolant "T's" needing replacement with metal ones and finicky dashboard electronics.

You know what they say, "Get behind the wheel of as many as you can".
As always, avoid any fancy, self-leveling suspension unless you know what you're doing.
Happy shopping.
I don't know if established practice suggests reporting back to this thread after you see a few or if a new thread is always called for.
Wh
what brand is that front bumper?
It is a TJM front bumper.... Looks like the Uneek one.... But TJM is $1500, not $2500... And TJM's is a beast.... No complaints with it... It could take a hit...

·
Registered
2012 JGC
269 Posts
My real world experience with right at 103k on our 2012 V6 Limited.

A few of these things (steering rack, sunroof) could have easily been put off, but when I take it in, the dealer looks for items that Maxcare will cover:

-Brake booster recall (Dealer paid)
-Three sets of rear shocks (Maxcare paid)
-Alternator recall (Dealer paid)
-Fuel pump relay recall (plural) (Dealer paid)
-Sunroof frame TSB (Maxcare paid)
-A/C blower motor making loud noise (Maxcare paid)
-Thermostat (Maxcare paid)
-Steering rack and alignment (Maxcare paid)

The rest was all normal maintenance (oil and filter changes) and the V6 is so easy to work on for fluid changes, air/cabin filter, etc.

Thanks to Maxcare, not much out of pocket for 100k and if you live anywhere with inclement weather (I live in the Denver, CO area), the JGC owns it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
With all the praise here regarding this additional warranty I had never heard of, I wonder if the formal name of the guarantee isn't "Maxcare from God"?

To newtoncd8: Do you run snow tires and actually drive in bad weather? They're all pretty good after the plows and sand trucks go by.

·
Registered
2012 JGC
269 Posts
With all the praise here regarding this additional warranty I had never heard of, I wonder if the formal name of the guarantee isn't "Maxcare from God"?

To newtoncd8: Do you run snow tires and actually drive in bad weather? They're all pretty good after the plows and sand trucks go by.
I used the short version (Maxcare) for the service contract name; the full name is "MOPAR Maximum care". In 2012, I paid $1800 for the lifetime plan with $100 deductible. I usually take it in when I have a couple of items since it is $100 per visit.

As for tires, I am a huge proponent of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S -- amazing tire in all seasons. We had a pretty good snow blizzard this past spring (4th biggest on record) and I went out and made tracks for others in our development. The Defenders, nor the Jeep, did not disappoint.

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
Because vehicles have so much tech these days, many folks who expect to keep theirs for a long period of time feel better having a comprehensive extended service contract like the Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Contract. It covers pretty much everything other than a very, very short list of specific exclusions (mostly wear items) and isn't all that expensive, especially when you shop around and buy from one of several online dealers that significantly discount it. If you're only going to drive something for three to four years or so, there's limited value to buying the contract, but if you are someone who sticks with something for 5-6-7+ years...it's worth considering.

Reactions: Mercaduu and KSV

·
Registered
9 Posts
They work pretty good even if the snow plow hasn't been by yet ~ as long as you uncover them!
I do run Nokian WRG3 studless year round on both Jeeps.

Snow Slope Window Tree Biome

Car Snow Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
939 Posts
Love my Nokian WRG3’s - snowflake rated all seasons that saved our bacon more than once when we lived on top of an icy mountain!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it! I definitely plan on taking several vehicles out for some test drives, though I'm slightly leaning towards keeping the Tacoma for peace of mind. From what I'm reading, the Hemi might be better in terms of reliability and drive experience without sacrificing too much on the MPGs. Does anyone here have experience with the V8 as opposed to the 6?
The JGC is every bit capable as the Taco off-road (especially with QTII or QDII), but the one thing the JGC does 500x better than the Taco is on-road driving. It's night and day. When I ride in my friends Taco I feel like I'm in a bobsled where you feel every jolt, bump, and expansion joint in the road. I went with the Trailhawk because I loved the leather seats that are far more comfortable than anything I've sat in. The air suspension did concern me, but I bought the MOPAR MaxCare 8yr/125k mile warranty for $2k that covers pretty much everything like (98% of the vehicle - minus a few things.) Once I'm out of warranty, if the air suspension goes I'm going to convert it back to a normal coil-over set up with lift.

If you plan on doing your own lift, etc. I would go with a limited that has QTII or if you can find one that's QDII with Hemi.

I have owned many 4.0L Cherokee's in the 90's, a 2006 JGC Limited w/ Hemi, and right now a 2020 JGC Trailhawk in 3.6. Only the 2006 gave me some electrical problems mainly with the ignition, and the cooling system went wild when the water pump went caput. The others haven't been flawless, but overall very reliable so much so I've never been scared to own a Jeep product. They've been just as reliable as the two Honda Odyssey's we've (one we still have) had and a couple Subaru's. The Wk2 has been around for about a decade, so I feel like it's been refined each and every year. I'd scoop up a remaining 2021 in a heartbeat with the new changes coming. I like to think my Wk2 is like the American version of the Range Rover, but much more reliable.

The 5.7 vs the 3.6 has been debated over and over. Having owned both they are both adequate. My Hemi didn't get great MPG. We drive mainly city and backroads. Got maybe 14 mpg city with the Hemi. I'm averaging 19.7 city in the 3.6. The 3.6 has good pep, but you'll notice the added benefit of the Hemi torque if you're towing. If not towing or you don't live 6000-10000 ft above sea-level (ie. Rocky Mtn National Park, etc.), the 3.6 will be just fine.

I also believe that once Toyota gets away from the 4.0 and ancient transmission you'll see some of less reliability vs. history. I'm speculating here, but lots of talk changing the powertrains in 2023. I have had a couple friends with 2011-2016 Taco's have fried transmissions with less than 100k miles.

Lastly, I believe with any car...you either get a good one or a bad one. Best of luck on your search.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
51 Posts
Very similar to goldendoodle's post above mine, I also went with the Trailhawk over a truck like the Tacoma or a 4Runner (and the 4Runner was really on my short-list) because it came down to on-road manners and towing capability. The WK2 is leagues above either of the Toyotas in driving dynamics, it isn't even close. They're both ancient platforms, but IMO, the Jeep carries it's age a whole lot better than a Taco or 4R. Getting into my '18 Trailhawk doesn't feel like I'm getting into a vehicle designed in 2005. It's no Maybach, but it's also not a sea of hard ugly plastic and outdated technology.

All of that being said, that outdated technology and tupperware-grade plastic also probably translates into longevity. I really have no doubt that a Tacoma with a conventional transfer case and suspension is more durable than say, a WK2 with Quadradrive II and Quadralift. I was under no misconceptions that, at the end of the day, it's still an FCA product. That's why I got mine from Carmax where I could get their warranty that covers practically everything on the vehicle (I never buy vehicles new; only made 1 exception for that ever for something very special and I got a great deal).

Powertrain wise, the ZF 8-speed is a great transmission and both the Hemi and Pentastar are solid, although I never spent any time considering the V6. My last Grand Cherokee was a '98 5.9 Limited, and I was just immediately coming out of a twin turbo V6 car, so there was no way I would be satisfied with the Pentastar. Fuel economy on the 5.7 isn't horrible - I drove from DFW to ATL and back last month and averaged right at 21 (20.9) MPG for the entire trip. That was with the cruse set at 79 or 84 MPH depending on which state we were in, and a lot of city driving around Atlanta.

For me, an upmarket WK2 was literally the only SUV that ticked the box of great looks (subjective, I know), good on-road manners, reasonably capable off-road, good handling for an SUV, good towing capacity, technology, and a V8. I landed on a loaded Trailhawk because I loved the seats, and not having the problematic leather wrapped dashboard. The only option I don't have that I really wish I did was the Harmon/Kardon audio system (not available on the TH trim), but the "Alpine" isn't horrible.

If you're considering aftermarket parts for both, I'm sure you could probably make a Tacoma more off-road capable than a WK2, but the QDII/QL GCs are shockingly competent out of the box. Take a look at Prodigal Overland's YT channel and check out the stuff he does in a mostly stock Trailhawk.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts