Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello all, I am currently entertaining the idea of getting into a JGC; I like the exterior design, all of the tech features, and that it has 4x4. I own a 2016 Toyota Tacoma, so I am mostly worried about reliability coming from a bulletproof Toyota. I have searched this forum to see how common it is for people to have issues, which seems to be pretty often. However, I still wanted to take a poll, are you guys happy with your Jeeps? We're getting ready for a baby so the space of an SUV with the off-road capabilities is what I'm looking for. Thanks!
I don't repeat what others have already said. I will let you know that the Grand Cherokee is the most robust of all unibody vehicles. It's the only crossover in it's class that handles the most cargo weight, actually has 4wd instead of just part time AWD.
Oh... And I traded my 2019 RAM Hemi for my Jeep. There are times I do miss having my truck but the Jeeps pros wins over any cons for me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Very similar to goldendoodle's post above mine, I also went with the Trailhawk over a truck like the Tacoma or a 4Runner (and the 4Runner was really on my short-list) because it came down to on-road manners and towing capability. The WK2 is leagues above either of the Toyotas in driving dynamics, it isn't even close. They're both ancient platforms, but IMO, the Jeep carries it's age a whole lot better than a Taco or 4R. Getting into my '18 Trailhawk doesn't feel like I'm getting into a vehicle designed in 2005. It's no Maybach, but it's also not a sea of hard ugly plastic and outdated technology.

All of that being said, that outdated technology and tupperware-grade plastic also probably translates into longevity. I really have no doubt that a Tacoma with a conventional transfer case and suspension is more durable than say, a WK2 with Quadradrive II and Quadralift. I was under no misconceptions that, at the end of the day, it's still an FCA product. That's why I got mine from Carmax where I could get their warranty that covers practically everything on the vehicle (I never buy vehicles new; only made 1 exception for that ever for something very special and I got a great deal).

Powertrain wise, the ZF 8-speed is a great transmission and both the Hemi and Pentastar are solid, although I never spent any time considering the V6. My last Grand Cherokee was a '98 5.9 Limited, and I was just immediately coming out of a twin turbo V6 car, so there was no way I would be satisfied with the Pentastar. Fuel economy on the 5.7 isn't horrible - I drove from DFW to ATL and back last month and averaged right at 21 (20.9) MPG for the entire trip. That was with the cruse set at 79 or 84 MPH depending on which state we were in, and a lot of city driving around Atlanta.

For me, an upmarket WK2 was literally the only SUV that ticked the box of great looks (subjective, I know), good on-road manners, reasonably capable off-road, good handling for an SUV, good towing capacity, technology, and a V8. I landed on a loaded Trailhawk because I loved the seats, and not having the problematic leather wrapped dashboard. The only option I don't have that I really wish I did was the Harmon/Kardon audio system (not available on the TH trim), but the "Alpine" isn't horrible.

If you're considering aftermarket parts for both, I'm sure you could probably make a Tacoma more off-road capable than a WK2, but the QDII/QL GCs are shockingly competent out of the box. Take a look at Prodigal Overland's YT channel and check out the stuff he does in a mostly stock Trailhawk.
How does the hemi compare to the 5.9. I do realize the ZJ is a much smaller vehicle and my fav GC size-wise, for me.

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
It's the only crossover in it's class that handles the most cargo weight, actually has 4wd instead of just part time AWD.
JGC is pretty different than a "crossover" as it was not an afterthought "car" design that morphed into a small or midsize SUV. It's not just the drivetrain that's the difference.

Reactions: KSV

·
Registered
189 Posts
JGC is pretty different than a "crossover" as it was not an afterthought "car" design that morphed into a small or midsize SUV. It's not just the drivetrain that's the difference.
That's true. I used the word "crossover" incorrectly. I just meant Unibody SUV. Some people just don't know what unibody means lol. So as far as unibody SUVs go...the GC is at the top for durability and cargo capacity as well as their unique 4wd system that no one else has.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
51 Posts
How does the hemi compare to the 5.9. I do realize the ZJ is a much smaller vehicle and my fav GC size-wise, for me.
I sold the ZJ back in 2018, so it's a bit hard to make a direct comparison, but I felt like the 5.9 had more raw grunt off the line. If I pulled the front driveshaft, it would happily do burnouts for days. But I think this comes down to the 5.9 having nearly as much torque (350 lb ft) as the Hemi in something that weighs significantly less. The 5.9 Limited was probably around 3800 lbs. A loaded up WK2 is tipping the scales at over 5000. The Hemi definitely breathes and moves better up top. The Magnums are choked out and start dying off quickly once you get up in the revs. The 5.7 feels like it pulls much more eagerly to redline.

I bet side by side a 5.9 Limited and a 5.7 Trailhawk would be damn close through a 1/4 mi run. In fact, when Motor Trend tested the 2014 5.7 Overland, they got 6.6 seconds to 60 and 14.9 in the 1/4 mile. When they tested the 5.9 Limited in 1998, they managed to pull off a 6.8 sec 0-60 and a 15.2 sec 1/4 mi. The Hemi trapped a lot higher, not surprising given the significantly higher horsepower.

The Magnum was great for stoplight to stoplight jaunts, but leaves a LOT to be desired on the interstate with only 250 HP. The Hemi is much better suited for keeping up and passing 80+ MPH traffic. It's a win some/lose some, I suppose. The WK2 also handles and stops infinitely better than any ZJ can. Fuel economy with the 5.9 was also abysmal. I was lucky to get over 13 MPG regardless of driving situation.

Reactions: 19GCTrailhawk

·
Registered
939 Posts
I sold the ZJ back in 2018, so it's a bit hard to make a direct comparison, but I felt like the 5.9 had more raw grunt off the line. If I pulled the front driveshaft, it would happily do burnouts for days. But I think this comes down to the 5.9 having nearly as much torque (350 lb ft) as the Hemi in something that weighs significantly less. The 5.9 Limited was probably around 3800 lbs. A loaded up WK2 is tipping the scales at over 5000. The Hemi definitely breathes and moves better up top. The Magnums are choked out and start dying off quickly once you get up in the revs. The 5.7 feels like it pulls much more eagerly to redline.

I bet side by side a 5.9 Limited and a 5.7 Trailhawk would be damn close through a 1/4 mi run. In fact, when Motor Trend tested the 2014 5.7 Overland, they got 6.6 seconds to 60 and 14.9 in the 1/4 mile. When they tested the 5.9 Limited in 1998, they managed to pull off a 6.8 sec 0-60 and a 15.2 sec 1/4 mi. The Hemi trapped a lot higher, not surprising given the significantly higher horsepower.

The Magnum was great for stoplight to stoplight jaunts, but leaves a LOT to be desired on the interstate with only 250 HP. The Hemi is much better suited for keeping up and passing 80+ MPH traffic. It's a win some/lose some, I suppose. The WK2 also handles and stops infinitely better than any ZJ can. Fuel economy with the 5.9 was also abysmal. I was lucky to get over 13 MPG regardless of driving situation.
One significant difference in the two platforms is the 3.73 rear end ratio used on the earlier models vs. the 3.09 used for the current V8 platform. The 3.09 is a nice balance between performance and fuel economy which along with the ZF 8 speed helps the Jeep easily get 22-23 mpg highway mileage.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wanna chime in. I've had 3 Hemis (Durango, Charger and 2019 RAM) my dad has GC Limited with Hemi and I now have a 3.6 GC Limited. Hemi engines are fantastic. I've driven a Durango with a 5.9 years ago and I can say for sure that the 5.7 Hemi has the same power but better mpg.. especially when linked to a 8-speed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello all, I am currently entertaining the idea of getting into a JGC; I like the exterior design, all of the tech features, and that it has 4x4. I own a 2016 Toyota Tacoma, so I am mostly worried about reliability coming from a bulletproof Toyota. I have searched this forum to see how common it is for people to have issues, which seems to be pretty often. However, I still wanted to take a poll, are you guys happy with your Jeeps? We're getting ready for a baby so the space of an SUV with the off-road capabilities is what I'm looking for. Thanks!
Chrysler FCA stinks
Truck is ok but mine has been a bit quirky and broke a camshaft and lot a primary part of its 4wd
I’d trade tomorrow for my old FJ any dau

·
Registered
2017 Grand Cherokee
12 Posts
I have a 2017 JGC Summit 4WD with the 5.7 V8. It tows our travel trailer without problems. in 55k miles, I have had 2 problems. Shortly after getting it (the day before leaving for Idaho to view the eclipse in 2017), a software problem caused the radio NOT to turn off. Dealer reinstalled or reset the software. The problem has not repeated. Second problem was the day after oil change and routine maintenance, the check engine light turns on. Turned out to be a hole in an air pollution control hose. Not something that is normally checked.
I have never taken the 1985 Jeep Cherokee, its replacement a 1995 Suburban, nor the vehicle before the JGC, a 2004 Yukon XL off-road. BUT, they were all driven on dirt roads in the Big Bear area and in the snow.

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Friends owned 3 Mitsubishi Outlanders over 8 years. They LOVED them.
The need for greater towing capacity and a friendly dealership got him to trade for a 2017 JGC Limited with 24K.
They really love theirs. I've only done 2 oil changes on it but I like what I see.
Here I've read of split coolant "T's" needing replacement with metal ones and finicky dashboard electronics.

You know what they say, "Get behind the wheel of as many as you can".
As always, avoid any fancy, self-leveling suspension unless you know what you're doing.
Happy shopping.
I don't know if established practice suggests reporting back to this thread after you see a few or if a new thread is always called for.
Other issues aside, the air suspension, after 75,000 miles, has been solid. I like getting up away from the rocks, etc. and dropping down to assist entry/exit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered 2016 JGC ecoDiesel 4x4 Limited. Now have about 57000 miles on it. The only problem I've encountered was a fuel system sensor went out and fixed via extended warranty, which I recommend for vehicles nowadays. Since I live in CA ( would not recommend), there have been 5 or 6 recalls on the diesel/EPA crap. But, even with this I love this vehicle. It gets 30-32 mpg on level ground pulling a small trailer at 65 mph. And no Toyota will do that! Has a ton of torque and handles like a sports car. Get the QuadraDrive system. It'll blow your mind. The only other power plant option I'd consider besides the diesel (if you can get it) is the 700 horsepower HellCat option. But with that one, you probably won't worry about gas mileage or tire longevity! He'll, you only live once 😁.

·
Registered
15 Posts
B
Bought new 2016 JGC Overland. Best vehicle I have ever owned. 57k miles. Only basic oil changes/service. Love it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
we've had a 2011 Laredo, no problems with it ever. Traded it in on a 2016 Limited, never had any issues with it either.
Traded that in on a 2021 Trailhawk and love it as well.
This will likely be the last one we get just because we don't like the new models styling.
Absolutely love these JGC's they are great vehicles year round and just as dependable as anything else out there.
Super comfortable on long drives and can hold a lot of stuff when you need it.
Ditto on the new styling. Current is a bit old school, but I have wanted a JGC for 25 years. I now have a 2018 (bought new) Trailhawk with the 3.0L diesel and I love it to bits. Yes the interior is a bit plasticky but replacing my previous Land Rover Discovery HSE with its genuine wood and stitched leather dash was an extra 60%. The TH was a bargain.
I for one love technology. Air suspension - yay! If it breaks I'll fix it. The thousands of days I enjoy the benefits outweigh the few days it might break. The Land Rover had air. Magic to only have lift when you need it
If you buy, I hope you enjoy.
My two cents worth.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I have a 2018 JGC HA with the Hemi. All of us have an opinion on the V6 versus V8, mine is I would only own the V8. I like the vehicle much more than I thought I would and am very happy with it. However, the dealership experience has been terrible and I will be purchasing a different make in the future solely due to the dealership experiences I have had. I have tried multiple dealers in my market. I feel I am reasonable, understanding, and mechanically inclined. My beefs are not price related as the costs have been reasonable so far. I don’t understand the wait times to get into the dealer and the pride of the service advisors in telling me how long it will be to get an appointment to have recalls or simple service performed. I did have one mechanical issue with the GC, but that can happen to any make. Like others have stated, I do not understand not getting a loaner when owning a nearly $60k vehicle. I came out of an Infiniti and did not realize the difference in dealership service experience that I would be facing. I maintain my vehicles almost too well so I have not been to many dealers for issues throughout my life. To be fair maybe this is how it is, but it does not mean I have to like it. Overall the vehicle is great but the service is not.

I have a Wrangler I am going to sell and purchase a Bronco when they become available again. It is possible I may have similar issues with Ford dealerships so I have been doing dealer recognizance here and there to try and ensure I don’t have the same issue. I am a car nut and often go to dealers to just look at cars.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ditto on the new styling. Current is a bit old school, but I have wanted a JGC for 25 years. I now have a 2018 (bought new) Trailhawk with the 3.0L diesel and I love it to bits. Yes the interior is a bit plasticky but replacing my previous Land Rover Discovery HSE with its genuine wood and stitched leather dash was an extra 60%. The TH was a bargain.
I for one love technology. Air suspension - yay! If it breaks I'll fix it. The thousands of days I enjoy the benefits outweigh the few days it might break. The Land Rover had air. Magic to only have lift when you need it
If you buy, I hope you enjoy.
My two cents worth.

The GC has way less plastic than my 2019 RAM new body had lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
not really the point though is it, point is whomever owns the Jeep brand is of poor quality, name notwithstanding
that came off rough, not my desire, what I meant to say was that whomever I have dealt with in the past and whomever I am dealing with now, stink.

·
Registered
2004 WJ, lifted
3 Posts
I've owned both, and currently own a Jeep WJ, having had a 1st gen Tundra. I will say only this: You will miss your Taco.

·
Registered
2014 WK2
47 Posts
As far as I can tell from the more quantitative sources, the GC is going to be average reliability compared to the Tacoma's slightly-above-average reliability. But neither vehicle or brand are actually close to the top of the reliability leaderboard; the pack leaders are small, efficient, simple vehicles and companies that rely mostly on selling vehicles like those. Anything with a 2 speed transfer case and some degree of locking differential, whether mechanical or otherwise, is fundamentally more complicated and more likely to get used in a way that breaks things.

You also have to factor in culture; Toyota has this myth of invincibility and I know people in real life who have been embarrassed to talk about their issues with newer Toyota 4Runners because they feel like they're going against their culture. Jeepers tend to happily embrace "Just Empty Every Pocket" and I think are more open about issues.

I love my 2014 ecodiesel. It's had some emission system issues, all but one covered under warranty. Every modern diesel in the US has some issues with its emissions system. It's had some easily resolved issues related to my iterations through a space lift and now onto a full suspension lift. That's what happens when you significantly modify your vehicle with aftermarket parts. It's gone through brakes, transmission and diff fluid changes, etc. I tow a 6k lbs Airstream and offroad. Every tow vehicle I've owned or seen in my family goes through drivetrain maintenance and components at an accelerated rate.

No one outside of Jeep in the US has a mid sized SUV with real 4 wheel drive and a diesel engine option (now available on the Wrangler and Gladiator I believe!). The new 4XE system is nifty and electric drive has obvious advantages for offroad. The Tacoma and 4Runner have been on the same 6 speed transmission since thr early 2000s, I believe. I'll take innovation and average reliability over stagnation and slightly better reliability any day.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts