Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, I will say this. There is a reason Toyota is the name of choice throughout areas where service is hard...ie Africa etc. When you speak with mechanics, TOYOTA (made in Japan), is the defacto standard with respect to quality .... and has never EVER been Jeep.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep GC WK2 Laredo 3.0 CRD with Off-Road Pack 2 ARB Bull Bar
29 Posts
Dear Sirs, We all live in different countries and environments. I live in Sydney, Australia which is generally flat and no snow. We have a lot of bad press here on the Jeep GC WK2 ( I believe there is a bias from the press here that favours Toyotas). However I have owned 3 Jeeps, #1 2007 Jeep Cherokee (3.2 l petrol), #2 2014 Jeep GC (CRD with springs) and now #3 2015 JeepGC (CRD with Quadralift) which I am still using with 60,000km on the speedo. My present JeepGC has been problem free for 5 1/2 years except when the Electronic LSD failed (covered in another post); it has now been fixed for nearly 1 year. BTW I recently installed a chain from the rear towbar to touch the ground and I suspect that the (electronics of the) ELSD failed because of the high static charges when driving an insulated vehicle.
Only few remarks to make about Jeep ownership:
1. Where petrol (gas) is cheap I would have gone for the 3.6l or hemi petrol (NOT in Australia)
2. Very important is the quality of the JEEP dealership/service centres. I have read many complaints about these in US and I am lucky that I live near a good Jeep service centre in NW Sydney.
3. We all gripe about the stiff prices for the servicing of the Jeep and the exorbitant prices of spares and this has been a negative for Jeep in Australia and I believe they are trying to improve in this respect.
4. Lastly, my main worry is the durability of the QL suspension air bags over time. You are fortunate in the states that you have Maxcare which I believe we don't have here in Australia. If it was available then (2016) in Australia, I would have purchased it for the drivetrain and QL. Would recommend Jeep Australia look into this as another selling point for the Jeep.

In summary, the Jeep is a fine car to drive and own here in Australia based on price/value; It drives like a BMW X5 but not as fast and not as sophisticated in the handling however it will go where the X5 will not/cannot go. Just to note that I have owned and driven fast sedans like the BMW 735i and the Australian HSV R8 (with the 6.3l Chev LS3 V8 engine.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks Blade, it’s always nice to get a different take on the GC. I’ve spent a lot of time there working for Weir (Artarmon) and I realize how different the driving experience is. Here in the US the move is definitely away from gas and diesel and toward hybrid and electric technology. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in Oz with the remoteness and long distances so many of you have to contend with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all, I am currently entertaining the idea of getting into a JGC; I like the exterior design, all of the tech features, and that it has 4x4. I own a 2016 Toyota Tacoma, so I am mostly worried about reliability coming from a bulletproof Toyota. I have searched this forum to see how common it is for people to have issues, which seems to be pretty often. However, I still wanted to take a poll, are you guys happy with your Jeeps? We're getting ready for a baby so the space of an SUV with the off-road capabilities is what I'm looking for. Thanks!
I am very pleased with my 2019 JGC Overland. I am nearing 15,000 miles. The only problem I have had was with the GPS. The dealer replaced the radio system, under warranty, without any issues. I have the V-6 and find the responsiveness adequate in Sport mode. Mileage is decent ( mid to high teens/gallon.) Space and comfort are very good. Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not sure I replied to this in this way but for me there are two issues why we have a problem with our GC V6. They are the same issue but different. From day one there was an engine misfire issue that was misdiagnosed from 5k through 36k. At the third visit, the dealer found rockers and tappets neede to be replaced on one side of the Exhaust Cam.
Trouble came back immediately as the cam broke disabling that half of the motor. So we had a very bad experience from a factory build perspective, then the dealer blamed bad gas, poor maintenance, etc., then when they replaced the rockers and tappets they did not tighten the bolts correct, (this according to the last dealer who replaced the CAM).
So I filed for a lemon but lost because THEY NEVER ENTERED THE SERVICE ON THE REPLACED CAM, (and the 4wd component that also failed), into our service history so the arbiter said that issue effectively 'never happened'.
NOT GOOD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
A sincere thank you to everyone that had added to this discussion post, there is a lot of value to the things I have read. I finally got the chance to test drive a fully loaded 2017 GC Overland Hemi with the Quadra Lift suspension. As I have been reading, the air suspension can be faulty and seriously costly. So that has me concerned. But on to my driving experience... I was seriously impressed with the way the GC drove. It is buttery smooth compared to the Taco, and it was a blast to drive that V8. The torque and beautiful V8 sound made it incredibly enjoyable to drive. With all the technology that is in the GC, it makes the Taco feel like an outdated truck (which all Taco drivers are already aware of when we buy the truck). I think if the GC did not have the air lift suspension, I would try to take it home with me without much hesitation.
But until I make a decision, I want to do more research on the air suspension. I read Goldendoodle007's post about converting the air suspension to regular coils if it went out, I did not know you could just make that switch so simply.
This past 2 weeks, I have been using my truck to move furniture into my new place so I am also concerned that I will miss the ability to use a truck bed to haul large items at a moments notice.

Overall, I will say I was impressed with the Jeep and will continue to search to find a "perfect match" of all the features I'm looking for. I'll continue to update this forum for anyone that is interested. Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
Does Quadra Lift have more risk than a regular spring suspension? Yes. Are most of them problematic? Absolutely not. Jeep would not have been featuring it for 11 years if the rate of failure was as high as Internet comments try to make it seem. People complain loudly when they have issues but are out driving around happily when they don't have issues and comment only a fraction of the time in a positive way. It's the nature of online interactions.

If you're not personally comfortable with the increased risk that this tech natrually brings, by all means buy something without it. But don't assume from a few negative comments (and they are relatively few compared to the many hundreds of thousands of JGCs with QL that have been produced to-date) that the system is inherently faulty. It's not.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes regarding quadralift(I have a Trailhawk)… I have serious concerns but they’re more based on fear and anything else I haven’t heard much substantial Criticism based on facts. Although I guess some type of extended warranty would be helpful.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Gotta have affordable replacement parts and know-how available.

To johncstein (post #46 above): Did the severe misfiring you describe happen at higher rpms? Friend's 2017 GC 3.6l bucked wildly at ~80mph triggering a P0305 code. No other codes.
No 'bad gas' excuse here. Will this worsen? Babying a car ain't maint'. They do love the ride.

·
Registered
87 Posts
No, the engine actually felt fine till the very end and then yes at higher rpms,,,,but for thefirst 30k miles it just threw codes that the dealers wrote off as bag gas, (literally).

·
Registered
747 Posts
. I finally got the chance to test drive a fully loaded 2017 GC Overland Hemi with the Quadra Lift suspension. As I have been reading, the air suspension can be faulty and seriously costly. So that has me concerned.
I have to echo Tom’s comments. I’ve had 3 Summits with QL and they’ve been nothing short of amazing, at least for what I do. Balance heavy loads, ride is fantastic, never had a single issue. 800 Grand Cherokees a day being built, if the suspension was a common problem they wouldn’t be offering it any longer.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Reactions: Jack R

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
So I ended up getting into a 2017 GC Overland Hemi. Only one day it but it has been great to drive. I’ll be getting an inspection tomorrow so I can purchase MaxCare. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
939 Posts
So I ended up getting into a 2017 GC Overland Hemi. Only one day it but it has been great to drive. I’ll be getting an inspection tomorrow so I can purchase MaxCare. Thanks for the help everyone.
Congrats! I think Jeep created a winner with that platform!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've had my 2017 JGC limited from new. I don't put a lot of miles on it because I have two vehicles but I have not had a single mechanical issue since owning it. Rides perfect, no complaints. It's got the V6 which I find very adequate. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
New England
99 Posts
I have a 2018 Trailhawk (with the air suspension) and the Maxcare warranty and I love this vehicle. It replaced a 2014 Overland that I also loved. I have 80K miles on this Jeep and other than a shifting issue that was fixed when brand new it's been flawless. Owned it 3 years so far (which is the longest I've ever owned a vehicle) and I intend to keep driving it indefinitely with the maxcare.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts