Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Those who have installed the Chief Products belly pan skid plate -

Did you find a way to retain the plastic splash guard belly pan?

On my Jeep there were three front mounting holes that were threaded, but one that wasn’t. What did you do with that unthreaded hole?

Thanks in advance -

Hoppy

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
466 Posts

On my Jeep there were three front mounting holes that were threaded, but one that wasn’t. What did you do with that unthreaded hole?

Thanks in advance -

Hoppy
The kit comes with nutserts, I drilled out the hole as per the instructions and used some hardware as an install tool to install the nutsert. You can just leave it out if you want to. You can also drill out all the holes an install nutsert in all 4 places if you want. The kit comes with 4 nutserts.

·
Registered
Granite Trailhawk
35 Posts
You can make a trap door with 1 zip tie and 1 screw.
I use a RRO mount with a warn vr-10s with add-on wireless remote #90287.

I can reach the clutch and the wireless receiver incase I need to use my wired remote.
IMG_2161.JPG IMG_2163.JPG IMG_2165.JPG

·
Registered
Granite Trailhawk
35 Posts
A couple more Photos. The screw is only needed to keep people from messing with me, the grill stays perfectly in place at 80mph without it.

(You can see the red & black Warn wireless receiver in one of the pics in the above post)

Attachments

·
Registered
Granite Trailhawk
35 Posts

Thanks in advance -

Hoppy
Chief Sump Plate has TWO options for installation, the RECOMMENDED is to drill out all 4 holes and install nutserts. You can apply more torque to the bolts with this method.

As for using both chief and the stock plastic, I believe the rear mounting holes of both plates make that impossible.

I have been debating whether the cooling holes in the chief plate are good or bad. They can hang on rocks, splash mud onto fan and belts, I still ran warmer than expected at crawling speeds in 40 deg weather. I have to scrape hard packed mud out them after every trip.

After a drive in light rain I looked underneath and the plate was dry, so air is diverted under not across from my Trailhawk lower bumper.

A week ago I taped up the vertical cooling holes with Gorilla Tape just as a test. (makeshift splash protection) it's too soon to know if it stays or makes a difference.

·
Registered
Granite Trailhawk
35 Posts
I have only had my '18 Trailhawk 3.6L on 32" BFG K02s for 7 months and I go wheeling alone (spur of the moment). I installed a winch, Chief Front and Rear Guards,rock rails, sump plate. I carry 50' winch extension, 4 Maxtrax, Pull-Pal, 3 Pulleys, soft shackles, hard shackles, tow strap,snatch strap,wheel chocks, CB radio.

I REALLY DON'T WANT TO GET STRANDED.

What are the weak points of the WK2 platform, what can leave me stranded mechanically? sensors, deep water, How Strong are CV Axles?
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is everyone happy with the factor skid plates and the mopar rock rails??? How are they holding up and share some photos if you have them.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Is everyone happy with the factor skid plates and the mopar rock rails??? How are they holding up and share some photos if you have them.

Factory skid plates are fine, but they don’t cover the transmission or the area under the engine. You can add those pieces from Chief Products and they bolt right up. The under engine piece is called a Sump Protection Plate and it replaces the black plastic cover.

I don’t have rock rails.

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
466 Posts
Chief Products stuff is really good, and the factory rock rails in my opinion are fine. I haven't hit mine too hard but I did bump them and drag them without issue. If you already have them I think they would work well for you.....If you don't there are a few good options.....the Chief Products New rails would be at the top of my list if I didn't have the rock rails from the factory.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have factory skids and Rock Rails, they seem pretty good with the small stuff but I have not had the big test yet. I had factory on earlier model GC's and they past the big test several times.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Chief Products stuff is really good, and the factory rock rails in my opinion are fine. I haven't hit mine too hard but I did bump them and drag them without issue. If you already have them I think they would work well for you.....If you don't there are a few good options.....the Chief Products New rails would be at the top of my list if I didn't have the rock rails from the factory.
I'm leaning towards Rocky Road Outfitters out of Utah for rock sliders and winch mount. Anyone used them? Their prices seem more reasonable than Chief, for example the top of the line rock sliders from Chief are $1300+, Rocky Road are about $900

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hitting the trail tomorrow

A friend (Toyota 4Runner) and I are making a run to the Apple Valley to Fawn Skin Big Bear Lake trail. We'll be in Apple Valley around 8:30 and heading out shortly thereafter, anyone who wants to join in just show up!:)

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
Re: Hitting the trail tomorrow

A friend (Toyota 4Runner) and I are making a run to the Apple Valley to Fawn Skin Big Bear Lake trail. We'll be in Apple Valley around 8:30 and heading out shortly thereafter, anyone who wants to join in just show up!:)
Thanks for the invite. I'd love to join you; however, for me this weekend is out. Next time - for sure.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts

Next time I'll give more notice, this one was spur of the moment. My buddy is coming from HB BTW.
HB being Huntington Beach or Hermosa Beach? If it's Huntington and he has a gray Trailhawk he might live 2 blocks from us. Wouldn't that be something!!

·
Registered
48 Posts

HB being Huntington Beach or Hermosa Beach? If it's Huntington and he has a gray Trailhawk he might live 2 blocks from us. Wouldn't that be something!!
Huntington Beach but he drives a 4Runner. I don't hold it against him though, I go along in case he needs to be pulled out of trouble. :lol:

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
That happens, or might happen to all of us, on a different subject, I was at the beach yesterday when I saw this rig. I was so impressed that I took this photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm leaning towards Rocky Road Outfitters out of Utah for rock sliders and winch mount. Anyone used them? Their prices seem more reasonable than Chief, for example the top of the line rock sliders from Chief are $1300+, Rocky Road are about $900
I just got the rock sliders and roof rack installed from Rocky Road, love em both.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts

I hate it when guys don't tell you what they did. Could not find much info myself, so what I did was remove the stock 20" rims and tires and put them in the garage. Bought a set of aftermarket SRT Spider Monkey rims on amazon 18x8 34 degree offset, Silver Gray and mounted stock size 265/60R18 Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain plus. The tread and sidewall make the tire look bigger, it is a little wider contact and the offset pushes it out just slightly. There are no problems in any clearance. I needed the extra tire side wall to air down for the sand. If you go bigger than stock you must replace the spare with the same size.
DSCF0261-1resize.jpg
DSCF0259.JPG

81 - 100 of 104 Posts