Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Can someone look at their sway bar BUSHINGS in JGC WK2? Trying to sort out clunk and groaning.

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  palck 
#1 ·
2014 JGC Summit 5.7 4x4
I still have the dreaded front end "clunk" and groaning noise despite new upper control arms and new struts and new moog end links. Last time I had it in they retorqued everything and that seemed like it helped for a week. Looking at the bushings for the sway bar they look cracked to me. Can someone who has a wk2 with low miles and/or no clunk look at their bushing and see if they have the cracks you can see in the photo below. You can see the crack at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions. Or maybe that's normal.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are talking about the notches at 12 and 6, yes mine look the same. The picture isn't quite close enough to really see if there are any cracks but blowing it up as best as I could it looked ok. When do you hear the groan vs when do you hear the clunk?

#3 ·
Company I used to be EVP of produced an aerosol stop-leak AT-212 that swelled rubber seals. I've used it for years to swell up rubber bushings to try finding bad bushings in suspension parts. But it wasn't a big seller so we'd discontinued it right before we sold the company. The bottle version is ATP AT-205 stop leak, and is still on Amazon. I've never tried it on bushings but I do know that it worked well on old rubber door seals. Perhaps pouring a little into a spray bottle and spraying on bushings could help isolate the noise?? Full disclaimer- I've never tried the liquid on bushings, nor did anyone on my tech team. I still have a couple dozen aerosol cans that I'm holding onto, but maybe on ebay??

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.