Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Post!

I'm checking out a 2014 overland, currently have a 2008 CX-9. I'm wondering about the wood steering wheel. For those who have one, do you like the wood on the steering wheel? Can it be swapped out for one that is all leather, or even the SRT wheel?

·
Registered
2014 Overland
606 Posts
You could probably swap, but pay retail to do so.

The wood is amazing. As smooth as glass. The 14 wheel feels better than the 13s...its a little smaller diameter. The 13s were huge.

·
Registered
941 Posts
You could probably swap, but pay retail to do so.

The wood is amazing. As smooth as glass. The 14 wheel feels better than the 13s...its a little smaller diameter. The 13s were huge.
That was one of the things I liked about the old wheel, it was nice and meaty and felt substantial. That big thick wheel was a big a positive to me, especially after feeling how small and pathetic the wheel on the Escalades were. It felt like a cheap POS wheel and literally flexed when I torqued on it, and I'm not even a huge guy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of wood interior, but both the steering wheel and the dark wood inlays in the doors are actually decent looking with the black interior.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was worried about the wood as well. My wife has a Buick Enclave and I can't stand the wheel. It just doesn't feel right in my hands. If the limited with Lux II package would have been available I would have bought it just for that reason. However, now that I have mine, I don't mind the wood at all. I think it's because it's thicker than the Enclave's wheel and I don't notice the transition from wood to leather as much when turning.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
I've had vehicles with beefier wheels. But, after 300 miles I'd say the wheel on the Overland is a comfortable fit. I wouldn't order a new wheel until I gave the standard one a try.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have actually considered buying the Trailhawk or Dark Burl trim pieces to put in my OL. Problem is the steering wheel cost + installation :(
I don't like the Mahogany (or whatever) trim much. However, beggars can't be choosers in the pre owned market and the GC I got was everything at a great deal. So I overlook it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I was worried about the wood as well. My wife has a Buick Enclave and I can't stand the wheel. It just doesn't feel right in my hands. If the limited with Lux II package would have been available I would have bought it just for that reason. However, now that I have mine, I don't mind the wood at all. I think it's because it's thicker than the Enclave's wheel and I don't notice the transition from wood to leather as much when turning.
Yup. Enclave has the same thin rimmed wheel that Escalade has. It's a little thin POS that GM uses in most of the SUVs and CUVs. Really a weak point there.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just drove an overland. I liked the thickness of the wheel, but didn't see the value in the wood over an all leather wheel. I didn't dislike it so much to want to swap it out, but wouldn't lose any sleep if it came with an all leather wheel like the limited.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just drove an overland. I liked the thickness of the wheel, but didn't see the value in the wood over an all leather wheel. I didn't dislike it so much to want to swap it out, but wouldn't lose any sleep if it came with an all leather wheel like the limited.
I would have preferred an all leather wheel on my 2012 Overland. I find the wood to be slippery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My favorite part about the Jeep is the wooden steering wheel. I would never own another automobile without a wooden steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I also love the wooden steering wheels. Feels so nice in your hands. I bought a $5k option package on my Lexus mainly because that package had a wood/leather steering wheel.

I think once you get used to it you will like it.

·
Registered
2014 Overland
606 Posts
I love that its easy to spin the wheel with your palm on the wood. If you repeatedly do that to leather, it'd wear down. It did in my Lexus.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
I like the look of my wood wheel. But it doesn't feel like wood. By necessity, it has such a thick coating of urethane that you are actually gripping a type of plastic. Having used Zebra Wood on a few projects, I'm very happy to have a plastic coating. ;)

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,198 Posts
I like the look of my wood wheel. But it doesn't feel like wood. By necessity, it has such a thick coating of urethane that you are actually gripping a type of plastic. Having used Zebra Wood on a few projects, I'm very happy to have a plastic coating. ;)

How is it when you grab it with wet hands ?

I dislike the look and feel of the wood wheel myself. I am afraid it will force me to apply a layer of hockey tape over it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder if the airbag on the wood wheel is wiring is compatible with the SRT wheel. That would be a nice swap.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Why would you have wet hands when you are driving your Jeep?

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
How is it when you grab it with wet hands ?

I dislike the look and feel of the wood wheel myself. I am afraid it will force me to apply a layer of hockey tape over it.
Haven't had to try that yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also love the wooden steering wheels. Feels so nice in your hands. I bought a $5k option package on my Lexus mainly because that package had a wood/leather steering wheel.

I think once you get used to it you will like it.
Wood steering wheels and wood interiors in general are not that popular in UK. Lexus and some MB 's are the those tot tend to see it on.
Coming to live in Denver next month and will be buying JGC. What is it you like about the wood steering wheel? Just the look or feel or something else?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts