Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Does your Jeep have a NP242 or NP231 transfer case?

That pic is a little confusing.
You say they forgot something but i see the arrow pointing to what looks like a rod pivoting what looks likle a linkage arm.
Are you sure that pic is the Tcase and not the transmission?

If that arrow is pointing to something else hidden in the pic and its a nipple looking for a hose then its for the Tcase vent.

Some vents have a filter while others like my 242 Tcase vent up to the engine bay area via a long hose.
The reason for that long vent hose is to keep mud, water dirt, etc. from entering the Tcase.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
lts behind the linkage in the picture. Small tube pointing up.
Unless you can get a clear picture of that tube, its likely the Tcase vent.
Like i said with my NP242 Tcase the vent is snaked up into the engine compartment by a long hose.
But my 2K XJ has the factory off road package which could make a difference.

I understand some vents depending on the Tcase model, vehicle and year use a filter instead to keep contaminates out of the Tcase oil. That could be the case with your vent, don't know.

You don't say what model Tcase or what type of 4x4 system you have so might want to find that out then enter the rest of your Jeep's info into this website which might give you an idea of any missing parts:

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
He should have a 231. 242 never came in the Wrangler. I'd get the appropriate size fuel line and run it up into the engine bay. The line may even still be resting on top of the trans.
If I remember I'll check mine out tonight but no promises since I have a different trans.
Yep its best to run the vent hose up into the engine bay out of the way of mud, slush, dust and other stuff which could contaminate the Tcase oil.
On my XJ i also have a front differential vent hose going up to the engine bay.
Both vent hoses are terminated with what looks like a cheezy plastic one way valve or something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts