Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

cancelling uconnect

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Richardar6 
#1 ·
Just got my insurance bill today and it went up 35 percent. I called and asked why. State farm gets reports of your mileage from uconnect and you are driving too much. Ok, I cancelled state farm(been with them for 39 years) and now to get rid of the 3rd party reporting service

#3 ·
This is one reason my 2K XJ is my daily driver these days albeit only in fair weather.
No uConnect, no black boxes, no touch screen, no Sirius anything and no other big bro snooping devices.

#4 ·
I don't know if you can get rid of the third party reporting short of replacing the radio with some aftermarket product. I haven't paid for any uConnect subscriptions but I still get monthly email updates about the current tire pressure, total miles and various other things. In a way, I'm glad it keeps track of the miles and hopefully my insurance company gets it, too. I drive a whole lot less since I've been retired so maybe my rates will go down, although I doubt it.

#5 ·
Could this be a situation where the policy was issued based on a stated driving pattern and the reporting is showing that the premise for the policy cost wasn't accurate? Insurance is priced on a variety of risk factors, including "commute distance", etc. If stated wasn't accurate...well...rates go up. There are other ways that the insurance company could potentially get the mileage information, too, including state inspection records, etc.

#8 ·
Makes me wonder if Uconnect is the reason I get those Robocalls EVERYDAY telling me my vehicle warranty expired and this is the LAST courtesy call. But it never really is the last, is it? I'm so tired of my info being sold to everyone. I googled my cell phone number. It brought up my full name, age, a picture of my house, address, and directions how to get there. I wish more politicians would be hassled with these problems, then maybe we would have similar laws like overseas where you have a "right to be forgotten".

#9 ·
No such thing as privacy anymore in fact its just the opposite.
I still get calls from those ext. auto warranty companies for my old Jeep Patriot which i traded in over 3 years ago.
Got one of those calls yesterday along with an average of 5 other telemarketing calls a day some of which have spoofed phone numbers with my area code.

Uconnect, buying on line, social media, search sites, auto license facilities, repair shops, contractors, etc. all can and do sell your information.
Why hasn't this wild west of selling personal information been stopped and allowed to go on?
Follow the money.

#10 ·
,FYI if you listen to the entire call about auto warranty, at the end is the option to hsve your name removed from call list. I did this and have not received another call about my car's warranty is about to expire, going on 6 months now

#11 ·
The problem is i ignore all calls with a caller ID i don't recognize unless i'm expecting an important call that day where i pickup all phone calls.
If the unknown call is important enough, the caller will normally leave a message on my phone's answering system.

On that particular call i mentioned above, as soon as i told the caller i no longer have a Patriot he hung up.
I guess to him time is money.

#13 ·
Correct, do not pick up calls from numbers you don't know unless you have literally no other choice. Let them roll to VM, or get a screening app like Robokiller or YouMail. Answering the call and, even worse, interacting with the system lets them know you've reached a working number. It'll only lead to more calls. The calls did fall off some, seemingly in concert with Covid cases going up in India (where many of these call centers are located), but they're coming back hard. I also get mailers nearly every day talking about the warranty on my Jeep. I have no idea who sold that data to them or how they got it, but I'm not particularly pleased about it.

If you do want to answer the phone, waste as much of these people's time as possible by leading them down absurd question and answer sessions and see what it takes to get them to hang up. Every minute spent with you means less time they can scam other people.

#14 ·
Correct, do not pick up calls from numbers you don't know unless you have literally no other choice. Let them roll to VM, or get a screening app like Robokiller or YouMail. Answering the call and, even worse, interacting with the system lets them know you've reached a working number. It'll only lead to more calls. The calls did fall off some, seemingly in concert with Covid cases going up in India (where many of these call centers are located), but they're coming back hard. I also get mailers nearly every day talking about the warranty on my Jeep. I have no idea who sold that data to them or how they got it, but I'm not particularly pleased about it.

If you do want to answer the phone, waste as much of these people's time as possible by leading them down absurd question and answer sessions and see what it takes to get them to hang up. Every minute spent with you means less time they can scam other people.
A year or two ago when one of the rare times i did answer the phone some idiot tried to say there was some kind of a Windows virus on my computer that required me turning my computer over to his control to fix it....RIGHT!
I kept that scammer on the line for a good 15 minutes asking questions like was he an employee of MicroSoft, what is the virus, etc.... all i got was strange double talk evading my questions.
Finally hung up on the Ahole before he tried to answer my last question.

• Haha
Reactions: fiveninelimited
#16 ·
Years ago, my daughter worked for a legitimate telemarketing company and she told me some of the things she encountered daily. After that, I told myself that I would never be rude to a telemarker and I always tried to stay on the line and have them end the call, sometimes after I've told them 50x that I was not interested in whatever product or service they were selling. It worked for quite a while but the ones over the last few years just will not hang up so I do. The last year or so I've gotten to where I will not answer a call if it is from a number I do not recognize.

#17 ·
Years ago, my daughter worked for a legitimate telemarketing company and she told me some of the things she encountered daily. After that, I told myself that I would never be rude to a telemarker and I always tried to stay on the line and have them end the call, sometimes after I've told them 50x that I was not interested in whatever product or service they were selling. It worked for quite a while but the ones over the last few years just will not hang up so I do. The last year or so I've gotten to where I will not answer a call if it is from a number I do not recognize.
I'm not rude to people that don't deserve it.
If i got only a few telemarketer calls a week i would listen to their schpeel but sometimes 5 or 6 calls a day!!
With all of those daily telemarketer calls they deserve getting the rude treatment because they are being rude by interrupting whatever i'm in the middle of.
Like you best to ignore the call where i don't recognize the caller ID and not have to go into a tempting rude treatment.

Bought a phone with call blocker and with a caller ID voice announcement feature.
Call blocker while it does work turned out to be a little bit of a disappointment because most use VoIP, spoofed or different phone numbers and keep calling back like an annoying house fly that always evades the swatter.
The loud and clear caller ID voice announcement feature is great as i don't have to hurry to the phone to read the caller ID display.

#18 ·
Keep in mind that the majority of "telemarketing" calls that come in these days are not even people. They are robo-dialers hitting randomized numbers that are increasingly spoofed to seem like they are local calls. Most are trying to sell something to the unknowing, either as a scam or really close to one. Technology being implemented by the carriers may help with this over time, but until the Shaken-Stirred protocols that detect spoofing are end-to-end, a lot of calls are still going to get through. "Selective answering" (including not answering at all) is about the only way to deal with things at the present.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.