Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did I do something wrong. Pulled up to and onto a Cat Scale and pressed the help button. The lady said my Jeep Grand Cherokee was too light to get a reading. I was only on the first pad.

I didn't have any trailer attached - just wanted to see how much my vehicle weighed with a full tank of gas and my family of 4.

Vehicle is a 2012 V8 4x4 w/ towing package

·
Registered
187 Posts
Did I do something wrong. Pulled up to and onto a Cat Scale and pressed the help button. The lady said my Jeep Grand Cherokee was too light to get a reading. I was only on the first pad.

I didn't have any trailer attached - just wanted to see how much my vehicle weighed with a full tank of gas and my family of 4.

Vehicle is a 2012 V8 4x4 w/ towing package
By "first pad" I'm assuming you mean the first one when you drove onto the scale? That is platform #3. The scale requires some weight to be on platform #1, the furthest, in order to register. So, you should have pulled all the way forward to the last platform. It would be better however to position the vehicle so the front wheels are on platform #1 with the rears on #2. This would give you the individual axle weights and be more usefull, assuming you're looking to calculate a baseline for loading.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By "first pad" I'm assuming you mean the first one when you drove onto the scale? That is platform #3. The scale requires some weight to be on platform #1, the furthest, in order to register. So, you should have pulled all the way forward to the last platform. It would be better however to position the vehicle so the front wheels are on platform #1 with the rears on #2. This would give you the individual axle weights and be more usefull, assuming you're looking to calculate a baseline for loading.

Thanks Clarklaflare but I was on platform # 1. Right next to the call button so it wasn’t the first one I drove on to, it was the last. I will try having the front axle on platform 1 and rear axle on platform 2 next time and see if that works

·
Registered
260 Posts
Go back when someone else is working the scale. She had no idea what to do. There are settings you can change for different "style" or weight classes. If that scale doesn't have this, then its not a certified scale.

I constantly weight my trucks at Cat scales. Having someone that's actually knows what to do is very important.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I used the DOT scales on the highway near our old house -- but only when they were closed so they were not in use. I just parked on axle at a time on the scale and it gave me a reading in 50-lb increments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts