Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Summit
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pros/Cons vs the two, excluding the environmental factor of venting oil vapor to the atmosphere.

Venting is a $50 project, A catch can is $200.... Will either cause codes or problems at all?

·
Registered
JGC Overland
2,772 Posts
You need an appropriately sized catch can... otherwise there will be codes thrown.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
1-2 oz every 1000mi or so. Nothing significant but I've had my intercooler and pipes off, I see how much that builds up in there.
Some intercoolers have drain plugs to keep the oil levels down.

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
After reading and pricing I decided to go with this setup from Amazon.

Aluminum Oil Catch Tank Air/Oil Separator

Now I just have to decide where I want to mount it and find the time to do it.:eek::D

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
After reading and pricing I decided to go with this setup from Amazon.

Aluminum Oil Catch Tank Air/Oil Separator

Now I just have to decide where I want to mount it and find the time to do it.:eek::D
RR Wow, you get right to the point.:D

I guess you didn't read my last post where I said I got it from Amazon and that I have to decide where to mount it.

I have not measured to the hose size yet.. I will start its own thread and answer all your questions as soon as I can find the time to do it. Keep tuned in.:)

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts

·
Registered
'14 WK2 EcoDiesel
99 Posts
RR Wow, you get right to the point.:D

I guess you didn't read my last post where I said I got it from Amazon and that I have to decide where to mount it.

I have not measured to the hose size yet.. I will start its own thread and answer all your questions as soon as I can find the time to do it. Keep tuned in.:)
Lol. I've done research and have thought of running a catch can on multiple vehicles, but never have. Just curious why you picked this one when you have other choices ranging from $20 to $200. Personally, I think a cheap one with an effective baffle will be all that's needed; no need to waste $200 on it. But again, I've never actually ran one. As for the install question, I meant what line are you putting it on. I've only been under the hood for an oil change, so I don't know which hoses lead where just yet.

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
RR, you are my kind of guy. I agree.

I will take pics of the lines under the hood. The PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system is just vent lines coming off the valve covers usually and vented back into the intake system somewhere. I did it on my Duramax both blocking off the EGR from the intake an venting the PCV sys. to atmosphere. The engine sounded completely different/smoother after I isolated the junk from going back into the intake.:D

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Our engines use a CCV system, not PCV. The line runs from the oil separator on the front of the driver's side head to the turbo inlet.

Let us know how the install goes, and if you get any codes. Luckily in GA the screen freezing shouldn't be a concern.

·
Registered
75 Posts
On the ex's Liberty 2.8, I vented to atmosphere for years. But it just smoked so much it was a nuisance (people would walk by as say the truck was on fire). So finally added a Provent 200 and no smoke or issues. When I got her the GC, I removed the Provent from Libby and put it in the GC. Works great, but need to fine a bigger catch bottle to get to a full oil change interval before it gets full. No point in having an Intercooler if it's full of oil. IMO, A tune in order to mod the CCV is a must on these things.

·
Registered
Truck
374 Posts
Our engines use a CCV system, not PCV. The line runs from the oil separator on the front of the driver's side head to the turbo inlet.

Let us know how the install goes, and if you get any codes. Luckily in GA the screen freezing shouldn't be a concern.
I have been rooting around in the engine compartment to find a location for the catch can and the engine oil bypass filter. I am also considering getting an extra engine oil cooler and maybe should wait till I get that so I can coordinate the locations of all at the same time.:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts