Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
I use an aftermarket head unit that has Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, no need to mount the phone, anything that I would need to see on the phone screen comes up on the aftermarket head unit with Auto/CarPlay, I just stuff the phone in the lower center storage compartment...... ...the head unit has its own GPS antenna, that takes over for Navigation from the phone, so I don't even have to position the phone to receive GPS, it can be stuffed away anywhere as long as its connected via USB....

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
As far as a simple holder, there are so many I can't find the one I used to have. But, I tell you one feature I found very useful and you should look for....

The suction cup that has a soft, gooey coating inside it. This surface on the inside of the suction cup will seal the suction cup securely to the grainy surface of the dash and not leak air in and let it lift off the dash. When I say goey, that is how it feels to the touch, it won't leave anything behind on the dash surface.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I've been very happy with a very minimalist magnetic mount on the near vent. I don't have as much need for it now that AA has become so useful, but I still like having it up there ready to hand for the times when AA doesn't quite cut it.

Found it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K3YOA8K/

I use an 18" USB cord to connect for AA. It tucks very easily and neatly into the closed cubby when not in use.

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
This was my setup in the MY12...similar to other vehicles I own or have owned. Holder is Arkon and fits multiple sized handsets (necessary with multiple drivers in the family as well as individual phones get retired for larger ones...

·
Registered
Altitude
2,735 Posts
Kenu vent mount. Works great with my iPhone 11

Attachments

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
I don't want to cover my vent. I get heat and ac out of it...lol
It isn't enough of an obstruction to change the HVAC effectiveness..... ....I suppose it could be detrimental to the phone, getting it hot or cold (attracts moisture to migrate into the phone and then condense inside the phone) with much hotter/cooler than ambient air coming from the vent....

Perhaps you should decide where you want to mount it and how first.
On the Dash, Windscreen or Trim....
Permanent, screwed into the trim....
Semi-Permanent using adhesive that might be difficult to remove and clean....
Temporary with Suction Cups that might not stayed attached indefinitely and require repositioning....
.....Note, that some of the suction cups won't attach to grainy surfaces like the dash, they may come with a adhesive adapter that is a flat smooth disc to adhere to the dash then attach the suction cup...

Don't go cheap with suction cups, quality suction cups, including the ones I spoke of, that have a soft silicone surface inside will actually seal a vacuum on the grainy dash and not disconnect on their own, staying attached solidly for months.

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
I don't want to cover my vent. I get heat and ac out of it...lol
I also do not like nor use "vent mounts". Yes, the air still comes out, but the flow isn't the same. That's why I setup things the way I do with a more formal/permanent mounting system. The device is secure and accessible should that need arise.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
And I will grant you, saying get a Android Auto/Apple CarPlay aftermarket Head Unit, that will cost you $500 or more at least, isn't really an answer to your question.....
But just keep in mind for the future, since I installed my aftermarket head unit with those features, anything I want from my phone comes up on the Head Unit Screen, I just toss the phone in a compartment, my cell phone mounted went unused, after a month of never using it, I pulled it out and gave it to my daughter to put in her car.....

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
I have CarPlay and still wouldn't give up the mount... 'tis a subjective thing.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
I have CarPlay and still wouldn't give up the mount... 'tis a subjective thing.
Looking at your current mount, the lightning connector is in the base, so mounting and connecting the cable is a single step?
My mounts was suction cupped to the Dash (that soft gooey lining inside the suction cup I spoke of) and then the USB-C connector and cable was a 2nd separate step....

That probably makes the difference.... ....for me, I plug in the cable and then whats the point of spending the extra couple of seconds mounting it?

Another factor for the OP to consider, a mount that plugs in the charging/data cable in one step of mounting the phone is a nice feature....

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
The holder on the mount is "size universal", so connecting the cable is a separate operation. (ProClip has a very nice phone holder that combines the two, but that's not good for situations where different drivers have different sizes/generation phones) Look, this is subjective. I personally HATE my phone being stuck in a cubby or cup holder, etc. I want to see it there and in the mount, it stays in the mount no matter what happens with serving around idiots on the road. My phone actually doesn't ever go in a pocket in my clothing...I use a horizontal belt holster...and I've never broken or scratched a screen over 6 generations of iPhones i've owned. That's my personal preference. Some folks are perfectly fine with sliding it into the cubby or wherever. Whatever works. :)

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
As long as we're arguing personal preference, I will say don't dismiss the vent mount until you've actually tried it. In addition to the advantages I mentioned above (ease and convenience of use, unobtrusiveness when not in use, versatility in multiple vehicles including rentals), there's the fact that it puts the phone in the perfect place for access and vision. Moreover, it doesn't interfere with the vent as much as you might think. On top of that, I've found the HVAC system to work perfectly well with that vent closed. I leave it closed when the heat is on as I figure the phone won't profit from heat, but I (very) occasionally open it for the AC. The phone thinks that's cool.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As long as we're arguing personal preference, I will say don't dismiss the vent mount until you've actually tried it. In addition to the advantages I mentioned above (ease and convenience of use, unobtrusiveness when not in use, versatility in multiple vehicles including rentals), there's the fact that it puts the phone in the perfect place for access and vision. Moreover, it doesn't interfere with the vent as much as you might think. On top of that, I've found the HVAC system to work perfectly well with that vent closed. I leave it closed when the heat is on as I figure the phone won't profit from heat, but I (very) occasionally open it for the AC. The phone thinks that's cool.
Live in Arizona? Total interferes with the airflow.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I used a Kuda mount and ProClip cradle for my iPhone.

Yes, my 2018 has Apple CarPlay.

The Kuda mount had no visible holes in dash.

The ProClip cradle connects to my USB outlet, so it both activates CarPlay and charges the phone. You simply slide the phone in to dock it and it works great. I’ve had similar ProClip cradles in my other vehicles and they are good stuff.

I tried to attach photos but that isn’t working on this forum right now, at least for me. Look for the other thread just down from this one for my photos.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts