Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Looking at 2014 - 2018 EcoDiesels. There seem to be a lot of good deals in the 2014 and 2015 years, but I HATE that shifter. I've driven a lot of 300C rentals with that God-awful abomination and I never, ever got used to it. Constantly thinking I've shifted to drive when I haven't, or park and the car's still rolling. Getting into reverse is just a mystery. I detest it so much that I'm looking at 2016s-and-up just to avoid it.

But I got to thinking--I'll bet that shifter is just a lever connected to a switch (actually, I know the 2015 is), and I'll bet the 2016 isn't a mechanical linkage either, nor are the 2013s and prior (I bet). They're probably also just a lever connected to an switch that tells the transmission to actuate.

There's really no reason I shouldn't be able to take a shifter out of a 2016 and (ideally) it's just plug and play in a 2015. Or even the rotary switch from a newer 300 if you were crazy, I suppose.

But I don't have a 2015 and 2016 available to take apart and check. So...has anyone else looked at their shifter guts and might know if such a thing is possible? And if 2013-and-prior and 2016-and-after is mechanical...how hard do you think it'd be to swap to mechanical, or to swap in the rotary dial?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,647 Posts
1. The plug is different
2. No sport button
3. The correct combination in the BCM is required for the shifter setup

Another member was working on it but it was thought the shifter was defective. No update that he got a new one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh. So it's not as easy as buying a 2016 shifter. I don't want this thing to be a project car. I'll just look for 2016-and-up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That would be an awesome upgrade! My daughter drives a 2014 Upland and I hate the shifter. The one in our 2020 is a million times better. Heck, even the rotary switch in my 2015 Durango is a thousand times better.

Reactions: CHeYeNNe71

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,346 Posts
That would be an awesome upgrade! My daughter drives a 2014 Upland and I hate the shifter. The one in our 2020 is a million times better. Heck, even the rotary switch in my 2015 Durango is a thousand times better.
I wish these had the rotary shifter!! Loved it in both my RAMs.

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
If you don't want the MY14-MY15 shifter, buy a MY16+ JGC. It's not a trivial thing to change to the later shifter, if it can be accomplished at all, as has been mentioned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts