Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed the upstream O2 sensors on the 5.7. It looks to me like I would need to drop the exhaust - yikes. Maybe removing the inner fender wells?

Anyway, was hoping someone has tackled this and has some trick I'm not thinking of.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, ProCharged 5.7L Hemi
699 Posts
Has anyone changed the upstream O2 sensors on the 5.7. It looks to me like I would need to drop the exhaust - yikes. Maybe removing the inner fender wells?

Anyway, was hoping someone has tackled this and has some trick I'm not thinking of.
W E L C O M E ! ! !
... to the forum.

I replaced mine from underneath.

Drove it up on ramps, allowed it to cool.

It is a 7/8 inch or 22 mm. I also have an o2 sensor socket. it wasn't a hard job, less than 30 minutes (after it cooled down).

The drivers side was a little harder with the drive shaft in the way.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,786 Posts
I swapped my upstream O2 sensors while I had my cylinder heads off to do a cam and lifter replacement. This freed up a lot of room to go in from the top. But, judging from the room in the area you should be able to get the sensors out going in from below with the vehicle up on Jack Stands. Idomyownracing confirms that he has done it.

Mine were able to break free fairly easily, most O2 sensors are difficult to break free, when they are stuck, I have the most luck running the engine to get the exhaust hot and while its hot it can break free. Only once, on another vehicle, the O2 sensor was so seized in the bung, I only got it out using an Impact Wrench and luckily this one particular vehicle had the room to connect an impact wrench with some universal joints. So if your O2 sensors can break free as easily as mine on my WK2, you may be able to remove them with open end wrench.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts