Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport unlimited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 liter. Following an oil change at a dealership, the check engine light, followed by the traction control light and a loss of power above 3000 to 3500 RPM. Following some recommendations from the forum, I removed the oil filter cap to perform an inspection.

What I found was the filter was for a 2014 model not a 2013. It also appears the technician removed the assembly that holds the oil filter bypass valve inside the filter housing.

Is there anyway to repair that condition? (i.e. replace the missing internals).

Is there a filter design available with the oil bypass valve installed?

Could the oil filter cap be replaced with a 2014 cap with the oil filter bypass built in and then the 2014 filter used?

The last option is to replace the entire assembly which looks like an all day in my garage task.

thank you for any feedback.

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport unlimited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Success,
The internals that hold the bypass valve in place, had been removed, thus there was no bypass valve inside the filter housing. In addition the filter was the incorrect filter for a 2013. The filter installed was 1/4 inch shorter than the correct filter.

The dealer replaced the oil filter housing and the bypass valve was installed along with the correct size filter.

ALL CODES Cleared. The work has been complete for a few weeks now and the Jeep is running fine with no error codes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts