Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 JGC overland high altitude 3.6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep Family ,
Hey I'm new to this forum and to the jeep family. I've had my JGC overland High altitude with 81k on it for about 4 months now and love it. Its a 3.6L and runs like a champ "knock on wood". Unfortunately yesterday I got a check engine light; so i took it over to auto zone and had them scan it . The code was for the OIL pressure sensor. So of course I looked it up on YOUTUBE and of course something so small would require such a tedious job. I'm and F-15 mechanic by trade so doing it isnt the issue i just dont wanna lol. My question to you all is if I dont have any other symptoms of poor Oil Pressure , no oil lights and all my pressures fluctuate within reasonable range and nothing leaking as I can tell; does it need to be replaced right away. Also is there a work around to not having to pull the intake manifold? any help would be greatly appreciated. Also how can I reset the check engine light to see if it will come back. _Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,750 Posts
Jeep Family ,
Hey I'm new to this forum and to the jeep family. I've had my JGC overland High altitude with 81k on it for about 4 months now and love it. Its a 3.6L and runs like a champ "knock on wood". Unfortunately yesterday I got a check engine light; so i took it over to auto zone and had them scan it . The code was for the OIL pressure sensor. So of course I looked it up on YOUTUBE and of course something so small would require such a tedious job. I'm and F-15 mechanic by trade so doing it isnt the issue i just dont wanna lol. My question to you all is if I dont have any other symptoms of poor Oil Pressure , no oil lights and all my pressures fluctuate within reasonable range and nothing leaking as I can tell; does it need to be replaced right away. Also is there a work around to not having to pull the intake manifold? any help would be greatly appreciated. Also how can I reset the check engine light to see if it will come back. _Thanks
If you have gone into the EVIC readouts and verified that you are getting a varying oil pressure reading with changes in rpm the next question would be are the readings within spec? I don't know about the V6 but my V8 pressure normally runs between about 33 to 53. I would think the V6 would be similar. If you are getting pressure much below 30 or much above 65 perhaps the computer is flagging that as abnormal. You can reset the check engine light with a scan tool, perhaps the AutoZone would do it for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have gone into the EVIC readouts and verified that you are getting a varying oil pressure reading with changes in rpm the next question would be are the readings within spec? I don't know about the V6 but my V8 pressure normally runs between about 33 to 53. I would think the V6 would be similar. If you are getting pressure much below 30 or much above 65 perhaps the computer is flagging that as abnormal. You can reset the check engine light with a scan tool, perhaps the AutoZone would do it for you.
Thankyou ! Follow up .. the check engine light went out on its own .. and yes the Etic readings seem to be fine and variable with throttling maybe the wife is slightly loose .. I dunno ..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Jeep Family ,
Here is my recent experience with this same issue. I have a 2013 Grand Cherokee Altitude with just over 61,000 mi. I had the check engine light, connected my code reader which indicated an oil pressure issue. If I would bring up the oil pressure read out on the dash, it would read a constant 95lbs. I figured it was the oil pressure sensor, as if it was 95 lbs. oil would be leaking out all over, but there were no leaks. I have always done my own repairs, but like you, I just didn't wanna do it i'm gettin too old for this! Soooo- I take it to the local dealer who tells me I need to replace the oil pump, as this is a known issue. I agree to have them do the job, and then the nightmare begins. For the oil pump to be replaced, the intake manifold needs to be removed to lift the engine off the mounts to provide clearance. I decided that while they have the manifold off they should also replace the oil cooler, as they tend to leak eventually. They call and tell me to pick it up, and when I get home, (1/2 mile away) I've got oil leaking on my driveway! Not to make the story too long, I had to bring it back 4 more times, until they finally cured the oil leak, each time being a different excuse as to why it was leaking. Finally, all good. In the dealer's defense they did give me a loaner car while all this was happening. So I suggest if it is the oil pressure sensor, replace the entire oil cooler assembly to avoid a future issue. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate it .. if the light comes back or the pressure get bad I will just change them all at once; o-rings sensors and pump if need be.. happy holidays✊🏾✊🏾

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,750 Posts
Thankyou ! Follow up .. the check engine light went out on its own .. and yes the Etic readings seem to be fine and variable with throttling maybe the wife is slightly loose .. I dunno ..
Did you ever get the WIFE fixed??? LOL

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Just a FYI,
The 3.6 oil pump is a way over complicated POS unlike the old schoolish hemi oil pump.
The oil pressure will remain at a constant pressure usually around 30psi during normal light driving.
When the accelerator is stomped on the pressure approaches 80 psi probably to work the VVT and the VVL on later 3.6's.

Replacing the oil pump is a major major royal PITA and for all practical purposes not feasible for the average DIYer.

Along with the air suspension i hope both never fail.

Reactions: Guts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts