Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to lock all 4 wheels on my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo in 4 low without lockers ? I was told there is a after market computer that will do this. Will lockers mess up my part time 4 wheel ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
What do you mean, lock all four wheels? You mean, lock the differentials? Then no. The computer has nothing to do with locking the diffs.

Lockers will not mess up your PT 4wd, but you'll have hell controlling it on the street.

It sounds like you're after an LSD.

Regards,
Josh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Josh, Tks for reply. I am thinking of locker in rear. I am having trouble when in dipty doos with one front & one back wheel with little traction. I don't know what a LSD is.
Doug

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
4 wheel low will mechanically ridgedly lock the front and rear differentials which is the reason 4 low and part time 4 high should never be used on dry pavement.
Unless your Jeep has a rear LSD differential it and the front axles are open meaning the tire with the most traction will spin on slippery surfaces.

What transfer case and rear differential do you have?
Do you do or intend to do some serious rock crawling with your Jeep?

There's a good chance your rear differential is LSD which theoretically means you don't need a rear differential locker unless the LSD clutch pack is shot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi moparado, I don't do any rock crawling.I am just tired of getting stuck in the snow & ice. I am not sure what transfer & rear diff are. Transfer has 2 wheel, 4 part time, 4 full time, N, 4 lo.
When in part time I can't drive on pavement, but when turning sharp turn uphill, one back wheel & one front wheel will spin. I am thinking off Spartan full time locker in rear. Is this a good idea ?
Doug

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If you have 2hi full time 4x4 then you have a 242 transfer case or one of its variants.
Congradulations not many old Jeeps out there have that transfer case.

You can't drive on dry pavement in 4X4 2hi part time especially when making turns.
As i mentioned, the front and rear axles are ridgedly locked.
2hi full time 4x4 utilizes a viscous clutch which can mechanically isolate the axles which makes it appropriate to drive on either dry or slippery pavement . I myself use that setting myself in most semi slippery conditions.

DO NOT install a FULL time rear locker if you intend to drive on dry pavement.
That would put one hell of a stress on the rear drive train and tires when making turns on dry pavement.

What type and condition are the tires in?

You really need to determine if the rear differential is a Limited Slip.
Try to find a tag or other identifying text on the differential then do some research.
One quick way to tell is jack the rear end up WITHOUT engine running and spin one of the rear tires.
If they both spin in the same direction then its a LSD.
If they spin in opposite directions then its an open differential.

There's the possibility that its a LSD but with a blown clutch pack or possibly the previous owner didn't use the correct oil in it.

My XJ's rear LSD took a nose dive at about that mileage.
If you do determine its a LSD then might consider a rebuild.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts