Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Guys,
I got 2020 Cherokee limited and setting on black top driveway right in front of my house.
I have a grass hill off to left of drive way.
If I start up the hill I can get right front tire and back left tire just off the ground.
Then it is done. these 2 tires spin and I get no where. Not impressed when I get stuck in my own drive way!
Is this normal for the Quadra Trac II ???
I thought this was suppose to be such a superior 4x4 set up?
If this is the case it isn't any better than the 4x4's I had 20 yrs ago.馃ぅ

Registered
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
he KL has an open front differential and unless locked the rear differential is open as well. (You Don't have a rear locker since you don't have a trailhawk)

Since it has open differentials is relies on "brake lock differentials" BLD using the ABS system to mimic a mechanical limited slip differential.

It monitors wheel speed on each individual axle and then applies the brake via abs system on an individual wheel which then sends power to the wheel that isn't spinning.

The only downside to this system is that it takes twice as much torque to spin the wheel with grip vs if there was a mechanical locker in the differential. This isn't an issue when using 4x4 low however if not in 4x4 low it can cause the vehicle to bog down in some situations.

The key with a BLD system is to apply steady pressure on the gas pedal and not to let off, the system needs wheel speed and continuous wheel speed in order to function properly.

So what i'm saying is that it's normal.

When you shift to 4x4 low you are locking the front and rear axles together, you can't ever lock both from wheels on the front axle together which is why one will spin and the other will not. The rear will function the exact some way unless you activate the rear locker.

This video shows exactly what I mean, and also the vehicle used is a limited with no rear locker

Registered
I've got quadratrac-1 with no 4lo and once even one wheel gets off the ground it's done, for similar reasons as mentioned above. I think the main difference between quadraTrac-ii and quadraDrive systems was the addition of the rear locker which you are lacking. Then again my knowledge is from the circa-2011 models so that may have changed.

Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
Except the OP doesn't have the 4x4 system you have, you have a RWD based system in a grand cherokee. OP has a FWD AWD system with a PTU,

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
1st - Just joined forum and thought this was right section??
2nd - Not sure what you mean by trolling- but I guess a person can鈥檛 ask a legitimate question on this forum without getting a obnoxious reply. Lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thank for the info and Video, makes since now, I think when I was getting 2 wheels off ground, they would just start to spin and I would let off the gas. I didn't want to burn rubber on my blacktop driveway, I guess if I would have kept steady pressure on pedal it may have climbed up the hill.

Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
Her is the Video of Cherokee spinning going up grass hill[:
Like the other poster said, you need to just stay on the gas, looked like every time the system was kicking in you let off the gas and stopped moving.

Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
Sorry you said Cherokee in your post, and I assumed it was a KL, regardless of the vehicle the jeep brake lock differential functions the same no matter what vehicle it's on. You need to keep steady pressure on the gas.

It's not a good video but this sort of shows what I mean

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry you said Cherokee in your post, and I assumed it was a KL, regardless of the vehicle the jeep brake lock differential functions the same no matter what vehicle it's on. You need to keep steady pressure on the gas.

It's not a good video but this sort of shows what I mean

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I was letting off the gas ever time tires started to spin, I will try it again, a little slower and steady on the gas. I鈥檒l let every know how it goes. 馃馃徏

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
And Yes I know exactly what vehicle I own!
Just because I forgot to say (Grand) doesn't mean you have to make sarcastic remarks Mr. ForcedInduction ! 馃檹

Registered
Geeze snowflake, I didn鈥檛 realize your ego was so weak. Go put on your big-boy britches and grow a set. This is the Cherokee KL forum, not a Grand Cherokee forum

1 - 16 of 16 Posts