Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
WK2 Overland
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys got a weird one here. The chrome within my cup holders is peeling up and I was looking for some fixes for it, without buying new center trim. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
I have the same thing happen.

Looking for WK2 in junkyards, but have yet to find one with a WK2.

You could remove the panel, mask it carefully and paint it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Had this exact same thing happen to me. I got it replaced under warranty. Let me know if you need the part numbers of what they replaced and I'll go find the invoice.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
The problem with replacing them out of warranty, these parts are part of the rarely replaced, rarely stocked item in the parts inventory for the vehicle, which in the Auto Industry means (for a few good and some bad reasons) the prices are marked up sky high.

Last time I looked for prices on this part for a 2011, I think it was $325 MSRP, couldn't find it for less than $275 on the internet.

Yes you can blame the Stealership in some cases, a National Chain of Stealerships bought out my local JDCR Stealership and the last several times I've called for a price quote on a dealer part, they quoted me more than MSRP for the part, and then had the nerve to tell me good luck finding the part for less within an hour drive.

But, the dealership has to pay for the part from the manufacturer, that is the vehicle Manufacturer, i.e. FCA, and if the manufacturer marks up the price to the dealer an insane amount, and the dealer can't charge you less than he pays for it, and stay in business. I guess if its a comp for something they did wrong or to get a sale, they might take a loss on a part.

That's why even the good dealerships that actually sell parts below the MSRP giving their customers a discount, but still making a reasonable profit, can't sell things like this panel for less than $275. Nor can you find one selling a $12 key fob for less than $200. Cause they have to charge at least a penny more than they pay for it from FCA.

And sure, it takes money for the Manufacturer to operate a Parts System and keep it stocked, and they have to spread the cost of operating and stocking the parts system over the cost of all the parts they sell. So obviously, they sell a million Oil Filters a year, that cost spreads out to be pennies on the individual item. But if its a center console trim panel, that they probably only sell 3 a year of, well that economy of scale isn't there and it raises the price quite a bit.

But when we're talking $325 for a plastic panel, that the Manufacturer is probably only paying $3.25 for from the Supplier for the assembly line, something funny is going on. More like the price is driven by what people are what people are willing to pay. Cause the average consumer is not like us on this forum, they wouldn't bother replacing a plastic trim panel because the chrome peeled away, especially at the prices they are charging, they know the only people replacing these panels are going to be body shops repairing collision and accident damage, which the insurance companies are going to pay for it. And insurance will pay hundreds of dollars for a $3 part.

And before I beat up FCA too much, all the Auto Manufacturers do this, its not just FCA; So yea, you could frustrated and angry, but think running to another brand is going to solve it, you'll just find they are doing it also.

That is why I'm still searching junkyards trying to find a WK2. And sadly some junkyards are getting in on the act, checking how much parts are selling at dealerships and then charging 75% of the new price for a used part, because they figure the person buying is desperate for the part and will at least take a 25% savings over the ridiculous price from the Dealership.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
2,772 Posts
A couple of years ago I actually had a wrecker (dismantler? ?) quote me "two thirds" for a part. I asked what he meant. He replied that he had absolutely no idea what the component was worth new, but I probably did... and the price would be two thirds of that. He added that he'd check with a dealer before processing the sale.

·
Registered
WK2 Overland
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I'll probably have my vinyl guy touch up on. Just seems like such a waste, but it bugs me so as everything else looks so nice. Kind of like my driver side mirror has a crack in the plastic part, fully functional and all but another thing to think about.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The problem with replacing them out of warranty, these parts are part of the rarely replaced, rarely stocked item in the parts inventory for the vehicle, which in the Auto Industry means (for a few good and some bad reasons) the prices are marked up sky high.

Last time I looked for prices on this part for a 2011, I think it was $325 MSRP, couldn't find it for less than $275 on the internet.

Yes you can blame the Stealership in some cases, a National Chain of Stealerships bought out my local JDCR Stealership and the last several times I've called for a price quote on a dealer part, they quoted me more than MSRP for the part, and then had the nerve to tell me good luck finding the part for less within an hour drive.

But, the dealership has to pay for the part from the manufacturer, that is the vehicle Manufacturer, i.e. FCA, and if the manufacturer marks up the price to the dealer an insane amount, and the dealer can't charge you less than he pays for it, and stay in business. I guess if its a comp for something they did wrong or to get a sale, they might take a loss on a part.

That's why even the good dealerships that actually sell parts below the MSRP giving their customers a discount, but still making a reasonable profit, can't sell things like this panel for less than $275. Nor can you find one selling a $12 key fob for less than $200. Cause they have to charge at least a penny more than they pay for it from FCA.

And sure, it takes money for the Manufacturer to operate a Parts System and keep it stocked, and they have to spread the cost of operating and stocking the parts system over the cost of all the parts they sell. So obviously, they sell a million Oil Filters a year, that cost spreads out to be pennies on the individual item. But if its a center console trim panel, that they probably only sell 3 a year of, well that economy of scale isn't there and it raises the price quite a bit.

But when we're talking $325 for a plastic panel, that the Manufacturer is probably only paying $3.25 for from the Supplier for the assembly line, something funny is going on. More like the price is driven by what people are what people are willing to pay. Cause the average consumer is not like us on this forum, they wouldn't bother replacing a plastic trim panel because the chrome peeled away, especially at the prices they are charging, they know the only people replacing these panels are going to be body shops repairing collision and accident damage, which the insurance companies are going to pay for it. And insurance will pay hundreds of dollars for a $3 part.

And before I beat up FCA too much, all the Auto Manufacturers do this, its not just FCA; So yea, you could frustrated and angry, but think running to another brand is going to solve it, you'll just find they are doing it also.

That is why I'm still searching junkyards trying to find a WK2. And sadly some junkyards are getting in on the act, checking how much parts are selling at dealerships and then charging 75% of the new price for a used part, because they figure the person buying is desperate for the part and will at least take a 25% savings over the ridiculous price from the Dealership.

This was Deep and made me sad.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If anyone is interested I have that exact part, brand new, still in it's OEM Mopar box. The exact center console shifter bezel/trim piece I have is silvertone w/OEM lighting included. It's Mopar part #1SY571X9AD MSRP $453.00 and it's brand new, never used or installed. It was for my 2012 Overland Summit that I no longer have. I'll take $200.00 for it shipped. Let me know.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
If anyone is interested I have that exact part, brand new, still in it's OEM Mopar box. The exact center console shifter bezel/trim piece I have is silvertone w/OEM lighting included. It's Mopar part #1SY571X9AD MSRP $453.00 and it's brand new, never used or installed. It was for my 2012 Overland Summit that I no longer have. I'll take $200.00 for it shipped. Let me know.
While you're offering quite a deal, its only worth $35 to me to replace it. So if it doesn't sell and you're willing to come down $165 further in price, I'll bite.

Read my post above, not criticizing you, totally understand you selling it for what you think you can get for it. Hope you understand I'm not willing to spend that much just to fix a 1/4" trim ring that has the plastic chrome peeling off. It just adds to the frustration that the manufacturer probably only paid the Supplier $5 for the panel, they are taking advantage of how the market and insurance works to mark it up so incredibly high. And all the manufacturer's are doing it, not just FCA.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
While you're offering quite a deal, its only worth $35 to me to replace it. So if it doesn't sell and you're willing to come down $165 further in price, I'll bite.

Read my post above, not criticizing you, totally understand you selling it for what you think you can get for it. Hope you understand I'm not willing to spend that much just to fix a 1/4" trim ring that has the plastic chrome peeling off. It just adds to the frustration that the manufacturer probably only paid the Supplier $5 for the panel, they are taking advantage of how the market and insurance works to mark it up so incredibly high. And all the manufacturer's are doing it, not just FCA.
Not really interested in what "you think" my brand new OEM center console trim plate is worth. If you actually look at the piece you need you'll see it didn't cost the supplier $5.00 to make, as you assumed. It has a complete ambient OEM lighting system pre installed in it, as well as an integral wiring harness for that lighting, several finished surfaces and is over 20" long. It comes assembled, with at least 6 different component parts or subassemblies needed to make the piece complete! Try finding one in a junkyard...... you'll see the chrome on that junkyard piece will be peeling as well, and it'll cost you more than $35.00, used and peeling! :mad: Good luck with that!
My price is a steel for a brand new never used or installed OEM Mopar part, still in it's OEM box!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-MO...-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-1SY571X9AD-/361392485193

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
Not really interested in what "you think" my brand new OEM center console trim plate is worth. If you actually look at the piece you need you'll see it didn't cost the supplier $5.00 to make, as you assumed. It has a complete ambient OEM lighting system pre installed in it, as well as an integral wiring harness for that lighting, several finished surfaces and is over 20" long. Try finding one in a junkyard...... you'll see the chrome on that junkyard piece will be peeling as well, and it'll cost you more than $35.00, used and peeling! :mad: Good luck with that!
My price is a steel for a brand new never used or installed OEM Mopar part, still in it's OEM box!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-MO...-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-1SY571X9AD-/361392485193
If you think that thing is worth $453 or even $200, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for Sale, real cheap.

Tell you what get more of them and I'll wire them up for you, cause clearly adding $0.50 worth of wires and bulbs increases the value by hundreds of dollars.

If you think FCA is paying the supplier $362.40 per unit for those things, you've clearly never taken it out of the box and look at it. At that rate a JGC would cost $1,589,999.99....

BTW, Its made of plastic not Steel.... less than half of MSRP is a deal, no doubt, but $200 is not a steal by no means.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If you think that thing is worth $453 or even $200, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for Sale, real cheap.

Tell you what get more of them and I'll wire them up for you, cause clearly adding $0.50 worth of wires and bulbs increases the value by hundreds of dollars.

If you think FCA is paying the supplier $362.40 per unit for those things, you've clearly never taken it out of the box and look at it. At that rate a JGC would cost $1,589,999.99....

BTW, Its made of plastic not Steel.... less than half of MSRP is a deal, no doubt, but $200 is not a steal by no means.
Chrysler sells over 10 of these/week so says my parts guy.
Online discounters are getting over $350.00 for them so what "you think" the part is worth is irrelevant, as the market determines price....... Something is worth what others are willing to pay for it! 10/week! :rolleyes:

Good luck with your junkyard search.... maybe one day you'll also find a Coupe'deville in the bottom of a Cracker Jack Box. :lol: :lol: Until then enjoy that peeling chrome, it's sharp don't cut yourself!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
If you're going to advertise a piece of plastic for $200, you're going to have people warn your potential customer's it's just a piece of plastic.

Read my previous post, Insurance Companies are stuck for paying for it, when they are over a barrel to repair collision damage they are on the hook to repair. All 10/week are very likely collision repairs paid for by insurance companies.

Keep laughing, I'm not the one selling a 1 sq ft plastic panel for $200 claiming its a steal. I think you're mistaking who appears like a fool here.

Oh yea, someone might cut themselves on that 1/4" peeling chrome trim, well not really, but you have to justify why it needs to be repaired somehow, so yea everyone rush out and spend $350 to replace it... .....groan. Or you can get this guys deal of only $200 for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had this exact same thing happen to me. I got it replaced under warranty. Let me know if you need the part numbers of what they replaced and I'll go find the invoice.
Do you still have that invoice? Would love the parts # on it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
There are 6 different part numbers just in the 2011 Parts Catalog, and it probably has changed in the later M/Y's. It depends on your interior color options and drivetrain options which is the right part number. I'm only seeing it between $375 and $340 online......

1SY441L9AA 1 U 74 *O0 [XL]
1SY441X9AA 1 U 74 *O0 [X9]
1 U 74 *O0 [XT]
1SY571D3AA 1 J, T 74 *O0 [D3]
1SY571L1AA 1 J, T 74 *O0 [L9]
1 J, T 74 *O0 [XL]
1SY571X9AA 1 J, T 74 *O0 [X9]
1 J, T 74 *O0 [XT]
1SY441D3AA 1 U 74 *O0 [D3]
1 U 74 *O0 [L9]

The Cupholder can be ordered separately for a high price, but the cup holder does not include the chrome trim ring. It has the illumination ring that is under the chrome trim ring, but NOT the chrome trim ring itself, so that doesn't solve the problem....

It takes an hour or two of work (excludes time for the paint to dry) to pull the panel and disassemble it down to the trim ring to refinish it yourself, using simple hand tools. Chrome Spray Paint or vinyl wrap costs a whole lot less than that. You don't even need to mask it, you can pull the trim ring out all by itself, sand it and spray paint it any color you like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a long shot cause this post is old .... but I need that part
Please email or call me
[email protected]
757-239-0633

Thanks
Lacey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you still have the part?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts