Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Drums worked fine for almost fifty years.......

Drum brakes are higher maintenance. Parts are cheap and easy. Nothing about them is difficult to work on, all the "special tools" are one funky set of pliers that are not very expensive, and you don't even need that, it's just convenient. The biggest drawback to the drum brakes is if you drive in the mud. They'll pack in with crud and then they'll be REALLY high maintenance. Painfully so.

Disks will be a whole different animal. They are more modern, and lower maintenance. You can wash 'em out "enough" with a hose if you drive in the mud. Depending on what the brakes came off of, it MAY be more convenient to acquire pads and rotors, just due to availability. Or it may be that they're more obscure or custom..... Do make sure you know 100 percent for sure that the kit, or the junk yard parts that you use are off the shelf parts. There's also times where you'll end up, in the name of acquiring bolt on parts, two different bolt circles for the tires. One for the front, and one for the rear. That's not a place I'd want to go.

Really, in my opinion, it comes down to what your maintenance needs are. These things are built to be barely more than a farm tractor, they'll never be a race car. The forefather of your CJ could literally be bought new, right off of the lot with a factory 540rpm PTO and a three point hitch. The Amount Of Equipment You Can Power With An Old Jeep Is Staggering They're not built to be fast (although you've made yours to be that way), they'll never be precise and accurate driving down the highway. Disk brakes aren't going to improve that. They may improve the braking feel a bit. But again, the entire vehicle isn't really set up to give you sports car like stopping power. So "yes", there are some gains to be had. Will those gains actually be beneficial to you, to the point that it covers the investment of changing an entire braking system?

My last question for you to reflect on- I have NO IDEA what your vehicle safety or periodic inspection situation is, or your liability in the event of any collisions, at fault or not, for having a home made, uncertified braking system installed on a vehicle. That could range from "not an issue" to a really, really big deal.

My opinion on the front/rear, or the front only question- 75 percent of any gain you get (both maintenance and perforomance) is going to come from the front brakes. 75 percent of the conversion headaches come from the rear conversion. We drove cars and trucks (and still do) for fifty years that are factory built with front disks and rear drums. I suspect that the front only swap (unless driving in fender deep mud is an issue), will give you more "upgrade" than what you'll ever get back, so long as they're bolted to an outdated, oversimplified chassis and suspension. (<--- That's a complement by the way). These vehicles are awesome because they are so simple and archaic. When you take that away from them, there's not a lot left.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.