Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to the site but not Jeep's. I got a 2000 grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0l 200k miles. Full time 4x4 (has quadratrack 2). I have a load clicking noise (almost like a spline skipping or something) coming fr front left side. It doesn't do it all the time. Rarely does actually, but is worse in 4 low. Curious what y'all might think or have encountered. I'm thinking it's something related to the full time 4 wheel drive. Which means somthing in the diff, axles,pinion bearing, u joint etc. Or maybe viscous coupling. Any ideas or advice ?

Thanks Brian

·
Registered
468 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The first thing to check are the front sway bar bushings, then the ball joints then the wheel bearings and finally the shocks/bushings.
It could be anything though loose or worn in the front end geometry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first thing to check are the front sway bar bushings, then the ball joints then the wheel bearings and finally the shocks/bushings.
It could be anything though loose or worn in the front end geometry.
I will look into that. Truck drives straight and good. Normal tread wear on the tires(which would indicate a few of the things u mentioned. There is no humm from a wheel bearing. Bushings wouldn't make those sounds

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will look into that. Truck drives straight and good. Normal tread wear on the tires(which would indicate a few of the things u mentioned. There is no humm from a wheel bearing. Bushings wouldn't make those sounds
Update,
I put the truck in the air. Checked everything in the front end with a pry bar. Checked all bushings,CV joint, ball joints, drive shaft etc... All is tight. Started the truck up put in high gear and let wheels spin. No noise. Turn wheels back and forth to there limits no no noise. On and off brakes no noise. Put in 4 low and do the exact same. I got it to make the noise by getting on and off the brakes in 4 low. Sounded like transfer case. I got the wife to help me while I was under the truck. She repeated my same process. Again it made the noise while stepping on and off the brakes. The noise definitely came from the transfer case. Was a gear skipping or spline skipping kinda sound. Any thoughts?
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Had the same clicking noise, and it was because of a bad axle u-joint.
This^ especially if the clicking happens during turning.
Is the clicking noise in the front end or the rear?
If in the front the first sign of front clicking is worn Ujoints while turning.
If in the rear, check the rear Ujoints also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts