Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a scanner from Walmart the other day for about 43 bucks.

I got my catalytic converter replaced a few weeks ago but I’ve been dealing with emission problems for a while now.

it shows cod for O2 sensors although they’ve been replaced as well. I’m taking it for a wheel bearing replacement in a week or so.

Does anyone know the evap command levels % obd scanners read? I’ve seen reports of 0% to %100

my Jeep goes from 0%-31.4% . I tried a better gas fuel today.

I plan to take it in in a few weeks for an evap test

·
Registered
2006 WK Overland
2,212 Posts
What actual code(s) is/are showing? The Evaporative System is a separate emission related component from the 02's and the Catalytic Converters. Does your new scanner tell you all of the Emissions Readiness Monitors' Status? Depending on your setup, you'll probably have 7 or 8 monitors (one for each emissions device) and, if you're getting ready for an emissions test, you'll probably need to have them all showing ready. Some states allow one to show not ready, depending on which one it is. Also, if/when you clear any codes, it resets all the monitors and you'll have to run it until they all show ready again. Most will show ready it short order, but there are one or two that may require some amount of driving before they show ready.

I wouldn't recommend trying to pass an emissions test IF you haven't corrected and cleared all engine/emissions related codes, as you'll probably not pass. So......repair all issues first, then clear all engine/emissions related codes, drive it untill all readiness monitors show ready, then take it in for the test.

Before I take my vehicles in for their test, I always make sure all readiness monitors show ready. Never failed one yet with any of my Hemi's, even with headers on them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What actual code(s) is/are showing? The Evaporative System is a separate emission related component from the 02's and the Catalytic Converters. Does your new scanner tell you all of the Emissions Readiness Monitors' Status? Depending on your setup, you'll probably have 7 or 8 monitors (one for each emissions device) and, if you're getting ready for an emissions test, you'll probably need to have them all showing ready. Some states allow one to show not ready, depending on which one it is. Also, if/when you clear any codes, it resets all the monitors and you'll have to run it until they all show ready again. Most will show ready it short order, but there are one or two that may require some amount of driving before they show ready.

I wouldn't recommend trying to pass an emissions test IF you haven't corrected and cleared all engine/emissions related codes, as you'll probably not pass. So......repair all issues first, then clear all engine/emissions related codes, drive it untill all readiness monitors show ready, then take it in for the test.

Before I take my vehicles in for their test, I always make sure all readiness monitors show ready. Never failed one yet with any of my Hemi's, even with headers on them.
a few months ago I received codes P0455 & P0457 for a small leak and check gas cap, and my gas fluctuates.

the codes eventually went away on their own, but still would read check gas cap & fluctuate gas.

yesterday I replaced the gas cap & upgraded to mid grade fuel. Ialso ran the scanner a few times (sometimes after start and other times after drives)

I was reading about the oxygen sensorspercents as well, ( O2BS 1 & 2 I believe) and most reports said these percents for older vehicles should read between -10% & +10% ( I’m not sure if this is actually correct.

meanwhie the STFT B1 showed around 0% and STFT B2 showed 99.2-99.9% . I’m not sure what exactly these percentages are suppose to show and read.

Before I got the cat & O2 sensors replaced I told the guy I think it may have a crack in a head or manifold. He told me that most of my issues happen at idle.

But for a while the Jeep makes a loud pop or “ping sound, whether idle, starting or turning off, and coming at stops. But all of the time just every so often.

my first thought was a bad fuel pump but I also smell a a fluid on the drivers side.
The Catalytic codes that it’s showing is P0420 & P0430 for the bank thres holds

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a few months ago I received codes P0455 & P0457 for a small leak and check gas cap, and my gas fluctuates.

the codes eventually went away on their own, but still would read check gas cap & fluctuate gas.

yesterday I replaced the gas cap & upgraded to mid grade fuel. Ialso ran the scanner a few times (sometimes after start and other times after drives)

I was reading about the oxygen sensorspercents as well, ( O2BS 1 & 2 I believe) and most reports said these percents for older vehicles should read between -10% & +10% ( I’m not sure if this is actually correct.

meanwhie the STFT B1 showed around 0% and STFT B2 showed 99.2-99.9% . I’m not sure what exactly these percentages are suppose to show and read.

Before I got the cat & O2 sensors replaced I told the guy I think it may have a crack in a head or manifold. He told me that most of my issues happen at idle.

But for a while the Jeep makes a loud pop or “ping sound, whether idle, starting or turning off, and coming at stops. But all of the time just every so often.

my first thought was a bad fuel pump but I also smell a a fluid on the drivers side.
The Catalytic codes that it’s showing is P0420 & P0430 for the bank thres holds
Update:

I erased the cat & o2 codes sense it’s most likely just a sensor issue with it being replaced.

As far my Evap, I feel I may have to get my entire system replaced. I already replaced the purge valve( I’m not sure if this is the name, but it’s under the hood located between the battery and fuse box

·
Registered
2006 WK Overland
2,212 Posts
Yes, that's the Purge Valve. Most evap. problems are usually back by the tank.....charcoal cansiter, leaks, poor connections, etc.

Reactions: Dannyboy26
1 - 6 of 6 Posts