Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I am trying to fix my parking assistance system and removed the front bumper of my 2006 crd wk to take the broken parking sensor out in order to buy a new one.
While doing so I noticed a wire with a plug / connector at the end connected to a cap, meaning it is not being used.

Does anyone know what that connector/ wire is for?

Thanks
Hand Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire

Hand Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Finger

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
You know this already, its for some option the vehicle didn't come from the factory with like fog lamps, heavy duty cooling efan thermostat, license plate light, optional horn, etc.
Did you follow the harness back to where it started out from?

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
1,289 Posts
I would test it for power, and see if it's of permanent power, comes on with accessories ignition (or run when engine is running) or needs a switch separate to ignition live (in which case, try looking at ohms/resistance for continuity).

If it's something you can utilise and not ecm/pcm controlled for example, then it might be a viable power source for an upgrade you might be considering.

If it's low left of radiator area when looking at your GC from the front, then I would lean towards it being connected to an e-fan controller, an air-ambient temperature sensor, an air pressure connector, or the relay for something like this. If it's fog-light related, I don't think Jeep had the looms with extra plugs catering for those, or else folk wouldn't need to buy a different loom with the plugs to upgrade- you'll have to double check though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi everyone.

I am trying to fix my parking assistance system and removed the front bumper of my 2006 crd wk to take the broken parking sensor out in order to buy a new one.
While doing so I noticed a wire with a plug / connector at the end connected to a cap, meaning it is not being used.

Does anyone know what that connector/ wire is for?

Thanks View attachment 244869
View attachment 244870
View attachment 244868
Thats not a cap, thats the ambient air temp sensor. you want to leave that plugged in... :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi. Thanks moparado.
I followed it goes towards driver side and then inside towards car under oder parts which doesn't allow me to see anymore.

If it's for optional thing then should be fine. Mine has fog lamps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Btw. Is this ambient air temperature engine related or is used to show the outside temperature in the dashboard?

Cause I've noticed recently that the outside temperature in the dashboard gets "stuck" quite often. Taking up to 15 min to update. Is there a fix for that?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Thats not a cap, thats the ambient air temp sensor. you want to leave that plugged in... :)
Always wondered where that ambient air temp sensor was located at. (y)

Btw. Is this ambient air temperature engine related or is used to show the outside temperature in the dashboard?
Cause I've noticed recently that the outside temperature in the dashboard gets "stuck" quite often. Taking up to 15 min to update. Is there a fix for that?
Thanks
How do you know its stuck?
I noticed the amb. temp reading takes a while from leaving my overnight cool garage into the hot afternoon outside before it reads the correct outside temperature. Never paid attention to this so never timed it but i'd guess maybe 5 minutes maybe more or less.
I'd think the PCM has better more higher priority things to do than updating the ambient air temp.

It also depends on the exact component used to measure the temp and other factors.
There are thermistors, RTDs, thermocouples, semi-condutor, etc. components used to measure temperatures.
All have differing response times, some faster, some slower again depending on the parameters they're subjected to.

I've used thermocouples extensively to measure the heat rise of IC chips and other electronic components during my working career.
For example, I normally epoxied a thermocouple to an IC chip case to get a rough idea of the chips heat dissipation when its exposed to the max. operating ambient temp. spec.
It generally takes 5 time constants for a thermocouple to reach the actual temperature desired to measure depending on the actual ambient/internal thermal differential, its rate of change and other factors.

I'd imagine for vehicles they use an RTD to measure the outside amb. temp.
It also takes 5 time constants to reach the actual temperature and how the its encased.
Plus RTD's cannot generally be grounded maybe the reason its encapsulated in what looks like an electrically insulated plastic case?
For this reason alone it could take a while for the actual ambient temperature to reach the RTD element through all that insulation.

All this 'could' be a reason the PCM takes periodic time samples of the thermal sensor.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
230 Posts

Thanks
its used by the PCM but also for the dash reading, but as @moparado mentioned, how they receive the information is not the same

OPERATION
The Body Control Module (BCM) is the master of the ambient temperature. It provides raw ambient temperature and averaged ambient temperature. Raw ambient temperature is what the sensor reads. This information is provided to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) at a very fast rate. Averaged ambient temperature is a complex algorithm and it is the temperature that is provided to the customer (displayed on the Instrument Panel Cluster/IPC and radio module) at a rate of once per second or upon a temperature change. All other modules, for example heated seats, use this averaged ambient temperature.

Auto ON Feature and Ambient Temperature

The vehicle needs to be OFF for about 3.5 hours before it will take in raw or instantaneous readings and provide it to the customer. This is to ensure that false readings are not displayed due to engine heat soak. Readings also depend on where the vehicle is stored. If the vehicle is parked in a garage for 5 hours where it could be 10°C (50°F) and outside temperature is -1°C (30°F), then the vehicle would display 10°C (50°F). The customer would have to drive the vehicle for 20 seconds above 32 km/h (20 mph) before it would start to update (± 1° is allowed per second) and trend towards true outdoor temperature of -1°C (30°F). If the outside ambient temperature is cold enough to warrant the auto comfort features such as heated seats and heated steering wheel but the vehicle is stored in a garage where the temperature is at an amount that does not warrant these features, they will not auto activate.

NOTE:
To get the most accurate ambient temperature readings, the vehicle should be driven.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys!

@moparado i see your point. I mean we can not expect real time data for minor changes.

Is that with me it happens that i leave in the morning and its 9 Celsius then i ride for 10 min. Park for other 30min then ride again for another 10min and the day already warmed up for 12 Celsius lets say and i still get the same 9 on the dashboard after one hour almost of constant temperature rise.

But after some time it's updated, meaning it's working.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts