Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi everyone.

I am trying to fix my parking assistance system and removed the front bumper of my 2006 crd wk to take the broken parking sensor out in order to buy a new one.
While doing so I noticed a wire with a plug / connector at the end connected to a cap, meaning it is not being used.

Does anyone know what that connector/ wire is for?

Thanks View attachment 244869
View attachment 244870
View attachment 244868
Thats not a cap, thats the ambient air temp sensor. you want to leave that plugged in... :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Btw. Is this ambient air temperature engine related or is used to show the outside temperature in the dashboard?

Cause I've noticed recently that the outside temperature in the dashboard gets "stuck" quite often. Taking up to 15 min to update. Is there a fix for that?

Thanks
its used by the PCM but also for the dash reading, but as @moparado mentioned, how they receive the information is not the same

OPERATION
The Body Control Module (BCM) is the master of the ambient temperature. It provides raw ambient temperature and averaged ambient temperature. Raw ambient temperature is what the sensor reads. This information is provided to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) at a very fast rate. Averaged ambient temperature is a complex algorithm and it is the temperature that is provided to the customer (displayed on the Instrument Panel Cluster/IPC and radio module) at a rate of once per second or upon a temperature change. All other modules, for example heated seats, use this averaged ambient temperature.

Auto ON Feature and Ambient Temperature

The vehicle needs to be OFF for about 3.5 hours before it will take in raw or instantaneous readings and provide it to the customer. This is to ensure that false readings are not displayed due to engine heat soak. Readings also depend on where the vehicle is stored. If the vehicle is parked in a garage for 5 hours where it could be 10°C (50°F) and outside temperature is -1°C (30°F), then the vehicle would display 10°C (50°F). The customer would have to drive the vehicle for 20 seconds above 32 km/h (20 mph) before it would start to update (± 1° is allowed per second) and trend towards true outdoor temperature of -1°C (30°F). If the outside ambient temperature is cold enough to warrant the auto comfort features such as heated seats and heated steering wheel but the vehicle is stored in a garage where the temperature is at an amount that does not warrant these features, they will not auto activate.

NOTE:
To get the most accurate ambient temperature readings, the vehicle should be driven.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts