Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am currently camping in a small pop up and considering purchasing a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Limited 4wd and part of the appeal is that I could upgrade to a bigger trailer.

I was drawn to this tv partly because it has a 7,200 pound towing capacity.

There is no problem with this towing my small pop up. I don't have a trailer picked out but am looking for something smaller in size like the GeoPro G19BH.

I am attaching the door stickers to the Jeep I'm looking at. But the one sticker says the cargo and passengers shouldn't exceed 1,050 pounds. It seems like this is a round figure. Is this based on actual weight?

Does this include the hitch weight of the trailer? The GeoPro I'm using as an example has a hitch weight of 425 (and I understand that might be without battery or propane).

If that is the case, I would have only 625 pounds (1,050 - 425) for my family of 4 plus any cargo that was in the Jeep.

Am I thinking about this right? I was drawn to this Jeep as a daily driver that could tow a camper during the summer. I live in a very flat area if that makes and difference here.

Also from googling, it sounds like the curb weight is around 4,700 pounds. Wouldn't that make my cargo amount 2,100 pounds (6,800, gvwr from sticker - 4,700 pounds)?

Thanks for your expert advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 JGC WK2 Overland 5.7L Hemi
32 Posts
I can’t read your sticker very well from my cell phone but wanted to let you know that what you’re trying to figure out is your “Payload Capacity” which does include all cargo, passengers and the tongue weight of your trailer. This article describing how to calculate this should help you out as having the proper payload is really important.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the article is very helpful! I don’t know the actual weight of the JGC since I was looking to buy it, but the payload capacity on the door sticker (1,050) seems very low based on what Jeep is advertising as being able to tow 7,200 pounds.
I won’t be able to tow a trailer and have my family and gear and meet that number.

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
I am attaching the door stickers to the Jeep I'm looking at. But the one sticker says the cargo and passengers shouldn't exceed 1,050 pounds. It seems like this is a round figure. Is this based on actual weight?

Does this include the hitch weight of the trailer? The GeoPro I'm using as an example has a hitch weight of 425 (and I understand that might be without battery or propane).
Vehicle cargo includes passengers, luggage, pets and yes, tongue weight.

Please be aware that the JGC you are looking at must have the Factory Towing Option installed to have the 7200 lb towing limit. It's not just a hitch receiver and wiring...there are changes to electrical, cooling and suspension for towing support.

Reactions: andrewsiff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. From my research it seems like all JGCs have the same 1,050 cargo limit sticker? It doesn't sound like it depends on the vehicle.

Shouldn't that be the GVWR (6,800 from the door of the Jeep I'm looking at) - the actual weight? I don't have the car so don't know what that number is.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2019 TrailHawk
717 Posts
I've done some towing with my Grand Cherokee and while it can definitely tow, I don't think it's the best choice for towing anything over a few thousand pounds. I think a fullsize truck is a much better option. The Grand Cherokee can tend to get "pushed around" by larger trailers in certain conditions, resulting in an unsettling ride. I'm not saying that it's alwasy dangerous, but a midsize, unibody SUV just isn't a great choice if you're thinking about upgrading to larger campers. And then you may even end up limiting yourself if you want to go bigger and your tow vehicle ends up being your ultimate limitation.

For me, a Grand Cherokee meets my needs because I use mine for lighter trailers. I've towed small UHAUL trailers, a cargo trailer for a load of mulch or sheetrock, for example. Or snowmobiles and Jet Skis. Or towing my Zero Turn mower to the shop. All those kinds of things are perfectly fine and easy for any Grand Cherokee with the factory tow package.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Compass Sport FWD
85 Posts
I have had several V8 Jeep GC's and also full size trucks pulling RV trailers. Unless you are planning just short trips to nearby camping places, I too would recommend a full size vehicle with a high tow rating. When you have a total trailer and load in the 5-6K lbs. range you will be glad you did. It is not just having no mountains...you have semi's passing you in the other lane at 70 mph, really poor roads and even high crosswinds to consider as well. I remember some pretty hairy events over the years.

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello!

I am currently camping in a small pop up and considering purchasing a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Limited 4wd and part of the appeal is that I could upgrade to a bigger trailer.

There is no problem with this towing my small pop up. I don't have a trailer picked out but am looking for something smaller in size like the GeoPro G19BH.

If that is the case, I would have only 625 pounds (1,050 - 425) for my family of 4 plus any cargo that was in the Jeep.

Am I thinking about this right? I was drawn to this Jeep as a daily driver that could tow a camper during the summer. I live in a very flat area if that makes and difference here.

Also from googling, it sounds like the curb weight is around 4,700 pounds. Wouldn't that make my cargo amount 2,100 pounds (6,800, gvwr from sticker - 4,700 pounds)?

Hi Spaceace,

When I was looking last year, same position as you, wanting to pull something with ease - upwards of 5500lbs. Wk2 for all the reasons we love our Jeeps, was a great options, but I was concerned with the payload as well. Confusing to put mildly. The stickers they attach seem to be conservative. I had found posts around (cannot find now) that suggest same vehical different country have higher payloads. I have the 1050lbs rating as well.

Check this site out: Stellantis Media - Press Kit: 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee / Grand Cherokee SRT:2019 Jeep® Grand Cherokee Fact Sheet
Specifically the specs: https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/download.do?id=20112

If you look up the payload for your vehical from there you vehical payload is 1410lbs - some argue that you have add features, perhaps, but 400lbs is significant.

Best advice I found out there, factory tow package a must, be reasonable (don't pull a 7200lbs trailer tow hauller that is 10f high), sway bars, and trailer brakes. You will be fine. Especially with the trailer you listed, 3200lbs dry weight.

Example, I have WK2 Altitude - 2018 with a 3.6., I pull a 3200lbs-19ft boat, 4 adults and camping gear, no issue. With trailer brakes,no sway bar. I admit - I would love to have the V8 or Desiel it would be if more wonderfull to pull, with but alas, I do not.

Also, incase you did not come accross it this is a handy link - https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C4RJFAG2JC417655

Hope you find this helpfull.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello!

You're way overthinking this...if you're from Arlen, TX. Just do it, you'll be fine 😄

Real response, you have to take those max values with a HUGE grain of salt....not necessarily cut in half, but if you are doing long trips you want a vehicle that can easily manage your load (trailer + cargo capacity). If you push the limit, you will definitely notice it. Add any environmental issues (heat, heavy rain, wind, whatever) and your knuckles will be white and you'll need a stiff drink assuming you arrive at your destination.

Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
High Altitude JGC
26 Posts
Hello!

As with most specifications and opinions, "your mileage may vary." I have a 2018 High Altitude with the diesel. Your V8 should give you close to equivalent towing capability. I regularly tow a large sailboat with the gross weight of boat and trailer at around 5,000 pounds. The top of the boat and gear is 11' off the ground. I usually have around 1,000 pounds of people and stuff in the Jeep. I do have anti-sway hitch that I use on longer trips. Power is not an issue and stability is fine. I do have a double axle trailer with brakes on all four wheels. I have been in significant cross wind situations and of course, large trucks passing on two lane roads. I really don't get much negative input from these scenarios. I guess my suggestion is to not push the 7,200 pound limit and drive defensively. A longer wheel base would be nice for towing, but for backing the trailer and everyday commuting the Jeep is the bomb! For recreational purposes, this vehicle is ideal.

·
Registered
2017 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Hemi & 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V6
244 Posts
As others have stated it’s imperative to make sure the Jeep you’re looking at has the factory installed tow package and not just the mopar hitch added by the dealer, they’re not the same thing. I tow what many would consider a very big trailer for the wk2: 28ft long, 10.5ft tall, 6000lb trailer. I use a Husky Centerline wdh and redacr trailer brake. I did also add a factory oil cooler from the Durango police package just for peace of mind. Done short trips to the local state parks and taken 500 mile round trip, never had any issues towing with the hemi. I’ve had really strong cross winds and semi trucks flying by and it reminds you the trailer is back there. But I go slow, stay in the right lane except when passing and keep both hands on the wheel. As far as cargo, I put everything I can in the trailer over its axles. Only thing in my jeep is people and the dogs. Counting the tongue weight and occupants I’m probably just over the 1050lb on my door sticker. I read somewhere that instead of making multiple stickers for every variation of the Jeep and their respective cargo capacity that Jeep just slapped 1 safe number on every Jeep’s sticker. I think there’s some wiggle room there as my Jeep is a limited but that’s just my opinion.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The spec sheet from stellantis media site doesn't really make sense for me... For a trailhawk with a 3.6, the gvwr is 6500lbs, and curb weight is 5004lbs. Yet the payload is only 1130. So where/what is the other 366lb??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Everyone should watch this video to understand tow ratings vs GVWR vs payload capacity. The guy in the video knows what he's talking about.

Thank you for the video. I watched it, and it's inline with my understanding of the GVWR/Curb Weight/Payload relationship. Which is basically GVWR = Curb Weight + Payload.

So what am I missing when Stellantis shows the 3.6 Trailhawk with 6500lb GVWR, but 5004lb curb weight and 1130lb payload?

Peter

Edit: and I disagree with his choice of words when he say "towing capacity doesn't mean anything". That is absolutely NOT true. It's just not the whole picture. He did say that he will contradict himself about that, but that one line could've been taken out of context, so I feel it would serve the viewers better if he said something along the line of "towing capacity is just 1 part of the equation, and there is more that goes into it." GVWR, GCWR, Towing capacity, etc all have a place in the equation. And for safe/legal towing, one has to to examine each one and make sure what they are doing is within the limit of that category.

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
Manufacturer's payload limits often are less than the math would indicate because of safety margins, etc. It's not just a Jeep thing.

·
Registered
2019 TrailHawk
717 Posts
Thank you for the video. I watched it, and it's inline with my understanding of the GVWR/Curb Weight/Payload relationship. Which is basically GVWR = Curb Weight + Payload.

So what am I missing when Stellantis shows the 3.6 Trailhawk with 6500lb GVWR, but 5004lb curb weight and 1130lb payload?

Peter

Edit: and I disagree with his choice of words when he say "towing capacity doesn't mean anything". That is absolutely NOT true. It's just not the whole picture. He did say that he will contradict himself about that, but that one line could've been taken out of context, so I feel it would serve the viewers better if he said something along the line of "towing capacity is just 1 part of the equation, and there is more that goes into it." GVWR, GCWR, Towing capacity, etc all have a place in the equation. And for safe/legal towing, one has to to examine each one and make sure what they are doing is within the limit of that category.
I don't really have a good answer for you on your payload calculation question. I know there are other vehicles where it's simply calculated as you said, but I also wonder if the discrepency has something to do with the engine size/weight. In other words, instead of coming up with different numbers for the different engine options available in the vehicle, they list them all the same and then calculate the payload based upon the engine in each vehicle. I'm not sure if that's correct or not....it's just a guess.

As far as the video, you may have missed where he said "towing capacity doesn't mean anything, but THEN THEY DO MEAN SOMETHING". It's important to not cherry pick his words. The whole point of his video is that too many people (including dealership salesmen) only look at tow ratings when there are other factors that are more important to consider. Lots of people seem to be running above the rating for their vehicles. It happens all the time. Hell, there's even the GCWR, which is what REALLY matters when towing. Why? Because the GVWR has absolutely nothing at all to do with towing. That number is just the total maximum weight that the vehicle shouldn't exceed when fully loaded with passengers & cargo. Even without towing a trailer at all, I'd say it's possible to overload a Grand Cherokee (or any vehicle, for that matter) with nothing but people and cargo. Only the GCWR factors in a trailer. And there's also tongue weight calculations to consider, but that's another story.

BTW, my Audi, which is a coupe and doesn't even have a tow rating, still have a GVWR on the door jamb and it even lists different tires pressures depending upon the load in the vehicle. And this is a coupe with just four seats and a smallish trunk. It's crazy how detailed this stuff can be from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Limited Diesel
3 Posts
I've been pulling a 19' travel trailer for a couple years now with a 2016 Limited diesel, factory tow package, weight distributing hitch with sway control, and it tows great.

I haven't actually done this, but for payload capacity, one of these days I'm going to fill the GC up with gas and leave in my regular gear that is tucked away around the spare and such and go get it weighed. Subtract that from my GVWR, and call that my real world payload capacity. I've not heard of anyone ever getting in trouble for being over some payload number if they are under GVWR and under axle load ratings as well.

My anecdotal towing experience.
The trailer is a tandem axle with a gross trailer weight limit of 6200lbs. I've had the trailer up around 5000lbs for longer trips with the gear for the whole family and a full water tank when headed out in the boonies. That puts me right at my GVWR with people and tongue weight, and I don't load up any gear in the GC. Fortunately I have this trailer behind me to stow all the gear. The tandem axle really helps with the stability, and the 4 wheel brakes are nice. I haven't had any sway problems on the highway at 55-65mph and passing or being passed by other large vehicles. I get a little side push, but nothing that is worrisome. The trailer is also 7' wide which I think really helps by not punching as big of a hole in the air as an 8' would, and I really like it when on the narrow mountain roads in the Pacific Northwest where we live and do most of our traveling.

Hope that helps your research.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts