Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Volvo V50
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
686-Sport here, posting for the first time. Title says it: we're in search of a 2013 5.7 for all-around use and some towing. Only one Jeep in our history: a used Y2K XJ that ran sweet but had a problem that I missed. It had the faulty casting cylinder head, which of course cracked and began leaking coolant into the oil about a year after purchase. After replacing the head I ran into an old friend at the recycling and he asked me what I'd take for my very clean machine. I named a price and he wrote me a check on the spot. Life's like that sometimes...
Our son had a 2011 WK2 that he liked, only selling when his family outgrew it. Now we're ready to combine the wife's luxury car and our "extra" Tacoma TRD into one vehicle. She's always liked the better view from SUV's anyway.
2013 seems to be the right year for our price point, and it also has the lowest record of problems. It fits nicely between the goofy shifter era and the early TIPM build issues. Plus we like the looks of the pre-facelift models better.
Must-haves include the 5.7, QD2, heated steering wheel, and the small sunroof. A nearby dealer has a one-owner Limited with tow package and the other stuff. To me its 18" wheels are also a better option, for comfort, off-road use, and tire replacement price. That LTD. does not have the adjustable height system, which to me just means one less system to look after. We've already tested a friend's 2014 Overland with that feature, and the GC cleared the worst obstacles on our farm while on the lowest setting. I plan to tow another friend's JayFeather 23 once in a while, and may also get a toyhauler for long range m/c touring if the Jayco tows nicely.
This site seems the perfect match for a GC prospect, so all feel free to chime in with your observations. One last thing: I tried the Chrysler "GetWindowSticker" build site resource and got an error message. Is something wrong there?
tia,
686-Sport, SW VA

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
690 Posts
Sounds like you have answered all of your questions. I Just traded in a 2012 Overland Summit with the 5.7. It had 100k on it and I had no problems. I definitely miss the V8. You won't have any problems towing with that engine.

·
Registered
2013 Grand Cherokee
38 Posts
My wife has a 2013 Overland with the 5.7. I have put that thing through it's paces towing off road. I'm tearing down a house and unless the weather has been dry for a few weeks, 4 low is required to get there. It tows on and off road with no complaints.

·
Registered
Volvo V50
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, dang! Once the FCA window sticker app started working I discovered that the 2013 Ltd in question does not have QD2. Also learned that the version of QD2 in the WK2 has rear LSD only, whereas the first generation has it front and rear. So if I want the best traction available in WK2 I have to get QuadraLift and be content with less traction than a 2009 or 2010. I tried a 2010 with QD2 on the farm in the rain on a steep hill and could not get it to spin [obviously I was looking for traction, not wheelspin.]
Most of my experience with off-roading and deep snow has come in Toyotas. Had a 2005 4Runner with a system similar to QT2, and with its oem tires it would get stuck way too easily. On the other hand, our TRD Tacomas have all had either electric lockers or rear LSD; even with no-name A/T tires those systems give much better traction. With Duratracs and rear locker, my current Tacoma is just about unstoppable, and there are many places on our farm that require that level of traction in wet or snowy weather.
We have agreed that our new #1 ride would have a heated steering wheel. I've noticed that the switch panel for 2011-13 is the same as the previous generation, yet I've never seen even a loaded WK Overland with heated steering. Does anyone know if heated steering can be added to WK1? tia,
686-Sport, disappointed

·
Super Moderator
9,991 Posts
QD is only available on JGCs that have QL in this generation and yes, it's rear ELSD only. That's not really an issue because the front is taken care of by other means. It's a very competent drive train and you will not have "less traction" than a WK which is a completely different design from the ground up. The so-called "WK2"'s platform is shared with the Merc ML350. There are plenty of photos and videos of MY11+ JGC in some amazing off-road situations.

·
Registered
Volvo V50
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim, I like your Overland. Does it have QD and QL? Our problem is that we want to avoid as much complexity as we can. Our current luxury car is a 2011 BMW 535i; even without adjustable suspension and awd it's just much too complicated. One of the appeals of JGC is it has less to go wrong - without QL, that is.
Poking around this site shows that others have tried to find rear lockers to add to QT2; has anyone succeeded?
686-Sport

·
Super Moderator
9,991 Posts
My MY12, as noted, is an Overland Summit, and has both QL and QD standard. For MY11-13, the "Summit" was an appearance package on the Overland trim level. It didn't become a separate trim until MY14.

Unless you buy a Limited or below (or a 4x2 which I can tell isn't of interest), you're likely going to have to accept QL. You can see how things are equipped for all of the model years at wk2jeeps.com to help you understand what comes (or was available) with what for the model years you're considering.

And no, there are no aftermarket lockers available for the JGC in this generation. (MY11-MY18+)

·
Registered
Volvo V50
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bringing this thread back around for a new question:

--Is there any reliable way to track down electrical problems that may have been fixed? The "just right" 2013 hasn't showed up anywhere nearby, but there's a 2011 with low miles and a good mix of options not too far off. HOWEVER, there's a big red flag on the CarFax - many instances of "electrical system checked" and "bulb replaced" on the service history, which is otherwise OK. This particular used vehicle is at an indy lot, so I wouldn't expect their staff to be of much help.
Envious of all you guys who popped for a new unit, but after lots of new 4Runners, Suburbans, even a BMW, we're on a used car budget now. As stated before, our son had no issues at all with his 2011, but I don't want to buy someone else's gremlins.
tia,
686-Sport

·
Registered
56 Posts
you might be able to take the VIN to a Jeep dealer to look up the service record. Most but not all dealerships report to the overall jeep database.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You want a limited with the luxury II package. Jeeps are not low maintainers necessarily, in comparison to a 7 year old BMW �� maybe but otherwise... Nowhere near Toyota level robustness you know about with your Taco. The QT works incredibly well with mild AT tires IME of snow and mud.

·
Registered
Volvo V50
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got the wife to a Jeep dealer today, where we found a 2013 OL Summit with ORA and 62k miles. From a combination of CarFax and the dealer's records we found that the the following have already been replaced - mostly under warranty:
-battery
-top radiator hose
-fuel pump relay
-water pump
-w/w nozzles
-steering column

In addition, the vehicle had a ton of service performed on the transfer case and axles at 5k miles. Then last year the "service 4x4" and traction lights both came on: tech replaced rear diff actuator and reflashed ELSD. The column replacement was to revive a failed tilt motor.

Overall, the car has had regular service, with lots of bub replacements but no apparent major failures of components or electronics.

Car is being offered as a "CPO" with warranty to 7 years/100k miles. This would take us to April '20.

We haven't gotten their trade offer yet, but the wife likes it and I'm not necessarily opposed. What do you guys think? Is there too much odor of lemon around this one? Dealer is an hour away, so I don't want to have to be back and forth a bunch for the next 2 years.

tia, 686Sport

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
The only electrical gremlin my '14 had was eating sunroof motors. My dealer replaced the whole works other than the glass the 3rd time around and it was OK after that.

To put a wrench in it...if it were me, I'd go '14 and up, if only to get the 8 speed transmission. My '12 had the 5 speed and my '14 had the 8 speed (both with the V6), there was a huge difference between the two. The 8 speed on my '16 with the V8 is a dream.

·
Registered
Volvo V50
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Our son had an '11 with the 5-speed, and our BMW has the 8-speed, so we're familiar with both trannies. All the consumer sites show '13 as being the best year for frequency of repair - and they all agree that Jeep is somewhere near the middle or lower when it comes to reliability. OTOH, there is nothing on the market that has the versatility and off-road/bad weather goodness of a Jeep. And balancing the lower reliability compared to, say, a 4Runner, is lower purchase price. I've had several 4Runners, and they are now obscenely overpriced as used vehicles.

13 vs 14 in particular wins on electronics and the shifter; if we went 14 it would have to be the diesel, and at the moment it's not clear where various lawsuits might go with that. So, 13 seems tried and true - and cheaper to buy. We're both retired, so that matters more.

There were a few sunroof items in this 13's service history as well. Right now we're waiting to hear back from the salesman about warranty coverage, and about the axle and t-case service when the vehicle was almost new. Could be flood-related, I'm thinking.

686Sport

1 - 14 of 14 Posts