Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I really hope you can help me out with this. I've been having coolant issues with my 2012 JGC with the 3.6L

A few months ago I started hearing a swishing sounds in my dashboard. I thought nothing much of it since I was used to my Jeep making swishing sounds from the water that gets trapped in the floor board. I finally looked it up and saw it had something to do with the coolant system. Ok, I'll research that later. Well one morning my Jeep overheated within eight minutes of driving it. The coolant temp got up to 262 degrees. I immediately pulled off to the side and shut it down. I looked under the hood and saw there was coolant all over the splash guard. Come to find out it was because coolant was overflowing from the coolant reservoir.

The next day I topped off the coolant in the radiator, installed a brand new radiator cap and took it to a mechanic shop (1). They said there was a small coolant leak in I guess one of the "heater" hoses that goes into the firewall and that the head gasket was blown. I decided to take it to another shop (2) to get a second opinion before dumping the money into replacing the engine or repairing the head gasket. Shop 2 said the radiator was cracked and they would have to replace it for $1000. I asked them to do a block test to test for a blown head gasket and they said it passed. Now I have two conflicting narratives, so I decided to use a block test on my Jeep myself since it seems easy enough. It passed on the radiator and coolant with a cool, running engine. After driving around and getting the engine hot I tested from the reservoir and it failed, but I was told that can give you a false positive. I didn't test from the radiator since it was hot. I then took it to Jeep and they said they couldn't find a leak anywhere after doing a pressure test. They also tested for a blown head gasket and said it passed. I asked them to flush and changed the coolant. A day later I began hearing the swishing sound again in the dashboard.

Any thoughts?

To go more into detail the fan, thermostat and water pump appears to be working because I can see on my coolant temp readout the temperature fluctuating between 188 and 212 depending on how I drive. How well the fan, thermostat and water pump is working I can't say. It appears coolant isn't being returned back into the radiator as the engine cools, leaving air in the system.

The only thing that has really changed in owning my Jeep for seven years is this summer was stupid hot and I let Walmart change my oil four times (I drive a lot for work).

Thanks for any advice.

· Registered
2,587 Posts
Hey guys, I really hope you can help me out with this. I've been having coolant issues with my 2012 JGC with the 3.6L

A few months ago I started hearing a swishing sounds in my dashboard. I thought nothing much of it since I was used to my Jeep making swishing sounds from the water that gets trapped in the floor board. I finally looked it up and saw it had something to do with the coolant system. Ok, I'll research that later. Well one morning my Jeep overheated within eight minutes of driving it. The coolant temp got up to 262 degrees. I immediately pulled off to the side and shut it down. I looked under the hood and saw there was coolant all over the splash guard. Come to find out it was because coolant was overflowing from the coolant reservoir.

The next day I topped off the coolant in the radiator, installed a brand new radiator cap and took it to a mechanic shop (1). They said there was a small coolant leak in I guess one of the "heater" hoses that goes into the firewall and that the head gasket was blown. I decided to take it to another shop (2) to get a second opinion before dumping the money into replacing the engine or repairing the head gasket. Shop 2 said the radiator was cracked and they would have to replace it for $1000. I asked them to do a block test to test for a blown head gasket and they said it passed. Now I have two conflicting narratives, so I decided to use a block test on my Jeep myself since it seems easy enough. It passed on the radiator and coolant with a cool, running engine. After driving around and getting the engine hot I tested from the reservoir and it failed, but I was told that can give you a false positive. I didn't test from the radiator since it was hot. I then took it to Jeep and they said they couldn't find a leak anywhere after doing a pressure test. They also tested for a blown head gasket and said it passed. I asked them to flush and changed the coolant. A day later I began hearing the swishing sound again in the dashboard.

Any thoughts?

To go more into detail the fan, thermostat and water pump appears to be working because I can see on my coolant temp readout the temperature fluctuating between 188 and 212 depending on how I drive. How well the fan, thermostat and water pump is working I can't say. It appears coolant isn't being returned back into the radiator as the engine cools, leaving air in the system.

The only thing that has really changed in owning my Jeep for seven years is this summer was stupid hot and I let Walmart change my oil four times (I drive a lot for work).

Thanks for any advice.
This certainly sounds like a frustrating situation. If you continue to experience concerns, our team recommends a visit to a certified Jeep dealership. Should you need some extra support while there, send our team a private message, or you can call Jeep Cares at 877-426-5337.

Kate
Jeep Cares

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kate, I already took it to Jeep in Waco, Tx and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

· Registered
2,587 Posts
Hi Kate, I already took it to Jeep in Waco, Tx and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.
Thank you for letting us know and we are sorry to hear that. If you decide to return or find another dealership for a second opinion, we are here to help. Send a private message or call when you're ready.

Kate
Jeep Cares

1 - 4 of 4 Posts