Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know coolant spray in the engine bay has been a problem for SRT owners and I'm proud to say I finally have no more spray.

At first I tried the zip tie trick on the coolant overflow hose and that cut down the spray by half.

About a week ago I purchased a Stant 18lb locking rad cap from advanced auto and threw it on the beast. This whole week I have been driving to work, on errands, or just joy riding and I pop the hood and check every time I get home and..........................................NO SPRAY!!!!!! :D YAY

Now I should be able to keep my engine bay much cleaner.....maybe even as clean as HarryBallz. :p

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,003 Posts
awesome....too bad billet tech doesnt make a cover for the stant.......

·
RockNrolla/JG Founder
14,649 Posts
thats great new man!!! believe it or not my 3.7 had that issue as well for the first few thousand miles!!! now it doesnt happen but when i first got my truck it happened a lot!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't know the SRTs had a spray problem?

Usually in 06' or 07' models it happens after installing a 180* Tstat. Some of the 08's have the problem with the stock Tstat though.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yeah it is such a problem that my STOCK 07 has it :( I put two thinner zip ties on the hose for now until I get a Stant and shorten the hose about an inch later on, too. (All when I install my Jet 180*)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I thought I read on another site a different radiator cap causes a considerable rise in pressure, thus resulting in a blown hose near the firewall (usually the weakest point)? The cooling system already shows signs of high pressure since so many experience the coolant spray problem (myself included). Anyone have information on this? I'd like to rid myself of teh coolant spray as well......

·
Registered
99 Posts
^^^ you are correct, the extra pressure has caused the hoses by the firewall
to pop off. That is very easily fixed by putting heavy duty hose clamps on those
hoses...

Dave, your lucky! Lol I'm using the stant cap and still have a ton of spray.. It gets annoying after awhile.

·
Registered
46 Posts
my radiator cap doesn't spray, but the overflow tank sprays like crazy... my rig is at the dealer now and they are going to replace the cap, but I don't expect that to solve the problem (don't know why i don't expect it to, just a gut feel).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmm mine is complete opposite, my over-flow is fine, Rad cap sprays tho

·
Registered
Jeep SRT8
6,440 Posts
Bump :)o) can anyone think of any other remedies besides a locking cap? I've tied/clamped all of the hoses and bought a locking 18lb. cap and I still get spray. I've heard people say that it could be a radiator issue? I also have the 180* thermostat.. considering going back to a stock thermostat if I can't mediate the problem..

·
Registered
2008 SRT-8 Jeep
248 Posts
what you need to do is make sure of where the spray is coming from. many have had issues with the spray leaking from the elbow on the radiator hose. looks like its very much coming from the cap when in fact its not. if you cant afford/dont want to remove and replace the upper hose just take some gasket maker sealant and put a bead around the joint. put a gasket on the bell housing if you want to make 100000% sure its the cap.

·
Registered
Jeep SRT8
6,440 Posts
Thanks for.the response. I think its coming from the cap but I'm going to take another look the hose tomorrow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I too have the radiator cap leak... Havent really had time to diag it..

·
Registered
WK SRT8 (2007)
1,400 Posts
use hose clamps at both ends of the hose too, mine used to spray even with my new cap if i had the coolant level in the reserve tank above the "fill" line, i run it with a tad less now and have had no issues ever since.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
You know, I never even tried the locking cap because I liked my BT bling...

So all I did, was removed the original cap, flipped it over, and bent the tabs under there. It took some force getting it back on, but I have yet to see ANY coolant. And this way, it is OEM and I can keep my bling :)

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I have the locking 18lb from stant and still got a little spray from the cap. Did what Johnny says re bending the tabs and problem 100% solved.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.