Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced radiator and cap. My jeep will build more pressure in the radiator and coolant will be leaking through and overheat. When checking coolant level it will be low. Removed thermostat still doing the same. At start up white smoke from the exhaust noticed and the fade away but smell of burnt coolant and starting up will be like it is misfire and the idle fine in less than 30 sec. What couls be wrong?

·
Administrator
11,624 Posts
What model and year Jeep do you have so I can move your question to the appropriate forum discussion area.

Jim
Forum Moderator

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I have replaced radiator and cap. My jeep will build more pressure in the radiator and coolant will be leaking through and overheat. When checking coolant level it will be low. Removed thermostat still doing the same. At start up white smoke from the exhaust noticed and the fade away but smell of burnt coolant and starting up will be like it is misfire and the idle fine in less than 30 sec. What couls be wrong?
This certainly sounds frustrating! Our team here recommends a formal dealership visit so their team can pinpoint the cause of this concern. If you need extra support while there, please let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
1,294 Posts
If suspected head gasket failure on the water jacket side (the symptoms you describe) research 'Steel Seal' product available from Ebay to see if it's good for your engine.
It might just save a head gasket strip down if it works.

·
Registered
2014 Limited
686 Posts
With the white smoke coming out the exhaust it is indicative of a head gasket failure (tsb’s/recall of left bank cylinder head failure) sorry I missed that part of you post, and you should see if your vehicle is affected, mileage won’t matter as it was a recall on certain model’s. Do not put any type of sealant in it, as it may clog other coolant path’s that you don’t want sealed. Mac

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would also suspect head gasket failure. You can have a shop do a chemical test on the water to see if it contains combustion gasses which will prove or disprove the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same with mine! 2011 jeep liberty haven't changed thermostat yet but put in new fan and nothing

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the white smoke coming out the exhaust it is indicative of a head gasket failure (tsb’s/recall of left bank cylinder head failure) sorry I missed that part of you post, and you should see if your vehicle is affected, mileage won’t matter as it was a recall on certain model’s. Do not put any type of sealant in it, as it may clog other coolant path’s that you don’t want sealed. Mac
Hi I have 2011 liberty 2wd nothing but problems from day one!! Same issue with cooling system (among many issues) what yr and model recall?? Plz ty

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
1,294 Posts
As advised, don't use head gasket sealing stuff if your engine has narrow oil/water channels. That's where research is required for your particular engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts