Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on my Stepdaughters 2011 Compass with 2.4 liter engine. I got code P0335 which is Crankshaft Position Sensor and the car goes into Limp Mode once it's warmed up. I'm trying to change the sensor but today after trying to go from above the engine after removing the engine cover, airbox and intake scoop, I still couldn't get a wrench on, or even see the 13mm bolt holding the bottom of the thin heatshield. I could get my hand on it. After enough trying i stopped for today and decided to enjoy a rare warm day.

Can anyone tell me if going from under the car is easier ? I saw one video that said that's the way to go. Or alternatively, are there any links to good videos showing the procedure. I haven't found any that really show the process with any clarity.

I'm a BMW guy. I've changed pretty much everything on those engines including the engine itself so I'm not a newbie with the wrenches. Transverse engines are just a PITA.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm posting just to update this and maybe help someone in the future.
Today we put the car up on ramps and removed the lower plastic protective plate (6 10mm bolts and two plastic push rivets on either side at the top of the wheel well) to try to remove the bolts on the thin aluminum heat shield covering the sensor from below. What we realized is that the video we've seen which shows someone going in through the bottom is on a two wheel drive model and mine is all wheel drive. It's almost impossible to see anything from the bottom. So... back to the top.

Again we disconnected the battery, removed the air scoop, air box and engine cover and then went at the bolts. The first 10mm bolt is at the top of the aluminum shield on a long bolt. This is easy to remove with either a deep socket or a open end wrench. Next is a 10mm bolt about two thirds of the way down on the shield on the left side. You cant see the bolt but you can feel it with your fingers. A socket on an extension on a 1/4 drive ratchet goes on this. One person guided the wrench on from the top, the other was able to get a hand on it and turn from the bottom. Third bolt is the 13mm bolt at the bottom of the shield. That's the toughest to get a wrench on. Again from the top by feel, we got a socket on it on a stubby handle ratchet. It's very tight in there and a normal handled ratchet just doesnt fit. Now you can remove the shield and get at the bolt holding on the sensor. Again from the top, and working by feel, a 10mm socket on the 1/4 extension and ratchet. Once this bolt is out the sensor came out with no drama.

We didn't disconnect the electric connector on the sensor until we had it out. Then reconnected the new sensor and reversed the operation. Still unable to see anything, I had to feel for the hole for the sensor with a finger and be sure to put the sensor in with the bolt hole on top.

This job is a major PITA for what amounts to three bolts. The official service manual calls for removing the axle and on the AWD car I can see why. But with patience and perserverance this is doable. Having two people helps...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts