Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a noise under my Jeep grand cherokee 2001... 4.0.
It is kinda a rubbing squeaking type noise. I used a auto stethoscope and it sounds louder on the transmission bell housing.
Some history... I had to replace the crankshaft position sensor a few weeks or more ago. See one of my earlier posts.
I think I did this correctly and has been running fine and still is. But it sounds like this noise is coming from the area of the CSP and I don't know why it would be making this noise. I am afraid it is rubbing? and may destroy the sensor (I did buy a Mopar) could I have installed it too deep??? Thanks for any advice. I will try and add a video later... but the sound is different than the sound it the video... Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is a noise under my Jeep grand cherokee 2001... 4.0.
It is kinda a rubbing squeaking type noise. I used a auto stethoscope and it sounds louder on the transmission bell housing.
Some history... I had to replace the crankshaft position sensor a few weeks or more ago. See one of my earlier posts.
I think I did this correctly and has been running fine and still is. But it sounds like this noise is coming from the area of the CSP and I don't know why it would be making this noise. I am afraid it is rubbing? and may destroy the sensor (I did buy a Mopar) could I have installed it too deep??? Thanks for any advice. I will try and add a video later... but the sound is different than the sound it the video... Thanks again for all the help.
https://youtu.be/ZU26ptAlQW0

This is the video I made... Really not very good as the sound is not as distinctive in the video.

·
The beast from Brazil
8,310 Posts
When you installed the sensor did it have a thin abradable paper spacer on the tip? At least it should have this spacer. This spacer has the exact thickness of the gap the sensor should have and as soon as you first start the engine, the spacer will be worn away and the gap will stay. Was the sensor bolt torqued at specs?

Reactions: medic502

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you installed the sensor did it have a thin abradable paper spacer on the tip? At least it should have this spacer. This spacer has the exact thickness of the gap the sensor should have and as soon as you first start the engine, the spacer will be worn away and the gap will stay. Was the sensor bolt torqued at specs?
It did have the spacer and I left in place... As far as the bolt torque, I did not use a torque wrench. I will check today to see if bolt may have worked loose. I used several 1/4" extensions and a wobble (universal?) joint and was able to remove the bolt going over the transmission crossmember. Since I was using 1/4" ratchet and socket maybe I did not tighten enough... Not really sure.
I am not 100% sure this is where the noise is coming from but that is the area that it sounds like. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It did have the spacer and I left in place... As far as the bolt torque, I did not use a torque wrench. I will check today to see if bolt may have worked loose. I used several 1/4" extensions and a wobble (universal?) joint and was able to remove the bolt going over the transmission crossmember. Since I was using 1/4" ratchet and socket maybe I did not tighten enough... Not really sure.
I am not 100% sure this is where the noise is coming from but that is the area that it sounds like. Thanks for the response.
Ok... This is what is going on... I can reach down at back of engine to the crankshaft position sensor and pull up or to side and the noise stops. It is tight bit just that little bit of movement and no noise.
I then loosened the bolt and tried to reposition the sensor somewhat and it is still making the noise.
I guess it is hitting the flywheel???
Any suggestions on how to fix this problem. Thanks

·
The beast from Brazil
8,310 Posts
A good change that it is indeed hitting the flywheel. I would loosen the sensor again and pull it out a little bit and fasten it again. I don´t think that there is any other option.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A good change that it is indeed hitting the flywheel. I would loosen the sensor again and pull it out a little bit and fasten it again. I don´t think that there is any other option.
Thinking about gluing a spacer back on and reinserting.

·
The beast from Brazil
8,310 Posts
If you can get a new spacer that would be the best.
But also will have to see how the sensor tip is at the moment. If the plastic is cracked or worn away to the extend that its not sealed anymore, you better change the sensor again.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will post an update when I remove the sensor in the next couple of days. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts