Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Sprinter
1 Posts
I know this is very late, and post #42 more or less resolved the issue with the engine service manual, but the problem with the original file posted (now I guess 4 years ago) was that the file extension was incorrect. That file was NOT a "zip" but rather a "rar" archive and if you change the file extension there shouldn't be any problem unpacking it.
My interest in that particular document is actually because the 3.0 l V6 CRD used in some Jeeps (and also the Chrysler 300C in Europe) is the same OM642 Turbodiesel used in the '07, '08 and '09 Dodge Sprinter vans (the NCV3, second generation Sprinters) that Daimler-Chrysler sold in North America until Chrysler was sold to Fiat in 2009, at which time Mercedes took back the Sprinter distribution (so starting in the 2010 model year). I have the official Sprinter Techauthority service manual (on CD and which can only be viewed in Internet Explorer) but I am not terribly impressed with that fairly pricey manual. Hence having a second version, the one for the Jeep OM642, may prove very useful.
I can see a few minor differences between the Jeep OM642 and the Sprinter OM642 that are mainly the result of the engine compartment being much larger in the Sprinter. So for example the routing of the charge air cooling line (the "intercooler") in the Sprinter drops down at the side of the engine (on the driver's side) rather than at the front as it appears the Jeep's line does. I can see there are both advantages and disadvantages to that variation. It took me a while to realize that the Mercedes OM642 engine was used in vehicles other than Sprinters and that also means that the ECU (or ECM, the engine control module) for the CRD Jeeps and Chrysler 300C is the same unit (although with a different part number and probably some programming differences) to that used in the Sprinter. I do wonder whether Jeep CRD and Chrysler 300C owners have as much fun with failing ECUs as seems is far too common with OM642 Sprinters like mine, still dead in the driveway after nearly 3 months of messing around trying to get a working replacement ECU set up and functional in that Sprinter 2500 CRD.

·
Registered
2008 GC
2 Posts
Hey there everyone! I just recently got a 2008 JGC CRD, and loving it! First mod was Green Diesel Engineering ECO Tune... Nice, but so far, isn't helping the economy. I'm thinking maybe the DPF is at end of life or something.. Meanwhile, I found the FSM PDF but it doesn't have the diesel engine even listed in it... I hear there is a CRD supplement?

·
Registered
2008 GC
2 Posts
Thanks to those who shared! I now have both the main FSM, all 7201 pages, and the CRD Section 9, 197 pages! YAY! Now I can get busy fixing a few little things such as power window glitches and an intermittent ignition switch problem without as much by-guess-and-by-golly!:lol:

81 - 87 of 87 Posts