Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
i did have this problem with the car starting and stopping ( I started a thread on it a few months back). I had one of the tsb's installed and havent had an issue since. Not sure if that is just pure luck or is an actual fix.

also - the reason why i was doing a search...has anyone had the issue where they start the jeep up and the radio just doesnt come on???
cheers
toothy

Where did you read about the dipstick ?
This is the first I have heard of this being a fix. I do not think my wife will accept that as an solution to this frustrating problem.
Ours has not done it since the update, so fingers crossed it is fixed.

I read about the dipstick fix on the Caravaners Forum. If you are interested have a look at page 74 of the thread titled - new grand cherokee V6 diesel. I know that it makes no sense but if it gets you going, then until I get in for a service, I will use it. But what I really hope is that it doesn't happen again.

Instead of the lifting of the dipstick, I believe licking the horn button will also work. That is the workaround when raining.

Toothy - i test drove one, that did that. Took it for a drive. Stopped to have a good look around the car and check things out and then when I started it again, nothing would get the radio to work...
really - did the salesman happen to be in the car.... awkward moment if so.

yep, its a strange one. Jeeps can be funny like that (or so im told, as it is my first).

My wife texted me yesterday and said when she came back to the Jeep after going shopping, someone had stuck an Aust Jeep Owners mag on the windscreen - obviously an enthusiast. Classic. 'We find you!!!'.

Instead of the lifting of the dipstick, I believe licking the horn button will also work. That is the workaround when raining.
Well actually, he's right. Mine has done it 3 times now, and no amount of locking and unlocking gets it going again. Or walking away and coming back, yada yada yada. The only way mine works is when i removed the dipstick and put it back in. ?????????????????

Is there a sensor in the vicinity of the dipstick perhaps?

Ours has just decided to do this....twice so far. 27000K
Once at the servo 10 days ago, when the wife was fueling it. Got a phone call to say that it started then stopped immediately - with the red oil light on. Asked her to try the 3 lock/unlock cycle - wouldn't turn over.
Got myself to the servo - got in, without my foot on the brake, cycled the ignition through acc, run and off - got the "press button etc to start" message and - yay - started immediately.
Good as gold for days.
Connected the van, drove 900k in 2 days to Cordeaux Dam back of Wollongong and after lunch started it and immediately shut down with the oil light on. Cycled the ignition again and started fine.
Now its 5 days later and not happened again.
Will check with a dealer in a day or so
John

Discussion starter · #30 ·
yeah mine was also flashed as mentioned above and no problems since.

yeah mine was also flashed as mentioned above and no problems since.
Well we've arrived in Ballarat and moseyed up to the local dealer....described the fault.......mentioned to the desk man that I had been informed there was a TSB fix and immediately things went negative - NO there isn't!
Well can you check?
No I can't - we'll have to have the vehicle for the day and leave it up to the tech - then we'll see.
Booked it in for the first spot available - 1 week ahead!

Left the place muttering to myself - these guys have all the customer relationship skills of a cranky rottweiler. Hasn't improved my impression of Jeep dealers one iota.

So we'll see what happens - by the way it has immediately shut down after start a couple more times since the earlier episodes. Once the ignition has been cycled through it is able to be restarted - gotta be some sensor or software glitch.

Dont you just hate it when you hit a moose of a service desk guy who is too stubborn to even do their job?
Surely, that service guy could have requested you to supply him with the VIN, then look into the computer and check what TSB's were outstanding for your car.

Thanks Yoda and Allypally
in November the thing had a 20K service and I was told it was up to date with all available bulletins but we will see what happens when it goes in.
We are really happy with the vehicle but after our experiences so far with various service departments the confidence level isn't high that we will strike someone who cares and has the skills to sort a fix.

Time for an update.....it went in for a dealer check for the intermittent start/shutdown......
first off - all TSB's and updates were current as confirmed by the tech on plugging it in.
He performed a full diagnostic on it and all checked out perfectly (as they do when it's a niggly problem!).
As the issue was shutting down after start and finishing with the oil light on, oil level and the pressures were checked - all perfect.
Disconnected oil sender and the thing started fine and continued to run, but with a warning chime and oil light on - so that proves that as well.
As a precaution against an engine software glitch the tech loaded an unrelated TSB update which he advised would refresh the ECM software.
That's it.
They couldn't suggest anything more except leave it there for some indeterminate period and they would start and stop it regularly and see if it would do it in the workshop for them. That wasn't an option for us considering it has faulted 8 times in a month of lots of travelling stops and starts. So thanks for the help...

Next morning - first start - shut down immediately with the oil light on.
Bugger - its something else....at least now it will restart just by cycling back to the first screen, "place foot on brake pedal etc"
This topic is likely to be continued.......
John

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Does the Security light come on when it stalls?

the only lit indicator is the oil can with the drip in the lower left corner that represents engine oil - never see it at any other time.
It is an immediate shutdown after the starter motor stops - the motor stops with the indicator on - doesn't go thru the chimes or the flashing of other lights you see on a normal start.
Otherwise, drives and behaves normally - just a pain in the butt on these infrequent times now that you have to press the button a couple of times to bring up the start screen,
Never does it twice in a row.

the only lit indicator is the oil can with the drip in the lower left corner that represents engine oil - never see it at any other time.
It is an immediate shutdown after the starter motor stops - the motor stops with the indicator on - doesn't go thru the chimes or the flashing of other lights you see on a normal start.
Otherwise, drives and behaves normally - just a pain in the butt on these infrequent times now that you have to press the button a couple of times to bring up the start screen,
Never does it twice in a row.

Exactly what mine did and displayed there is a TSB Flash for that, it fixed mine at least 12 mths ago now. Hasn't done it since!:thumbsup:

John, do you have your foot on the brake when you shut it down?.
There was an update that came out last year that said if you have your foot on the brake when shutting down it can confuse the GC's tiny little brain!.
So foot on brake for starting, foot off brake for shut down, if you don't already do this give it a go.
Yoda

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.