Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Exactly what mine did and displayed there is a TSB Flash for that, it fixed mine at least 12 mths ago now. Hasn't done it since!:thumbsup:
GDay Sege
our Jeep was delivered end March 2012 ......and I am informed by both my home dealer and the Ballarat one that any updates that are applicable to early models are incorporated in later software versions.
THey just reflashed for an unapplicable TSB just to ensure that it had the latest software available.
Made absolutely no difference - but thanks for the suggestion - maybe the bugger has found another way to wiggle thru the software to cause a problem!!
John

John, do you have your foot on the brake when you shut it down?.
There was an update that came out last year that said if you have your foot on the brake when shutting down it can confuse the GC's tiny little brain!.
So foot on brake for starting, foot off brake for shut down, if you don't already do this give it a go.
Yoda
Thanks Yoda
I know at the times it does it's little trick it can still happen whether your foot is on the brake or not.
Normally I wouldn't worry about whether I have my foot on the brake or not when pressing for stop.
This thing has done 27,000k without a sign of this irritation - something has changed somewhere.......just gotta find out what.
John

Just as an update.....
I reported that the dealer couldn't find any issue and reflashed for a TSB that wasn't listed for our VIN.
4 starts after leaving the dealer (and my post) the thing started and shut down.
HOWEVER - it has now been over 2 weeks and not done it again!!
I've done nothing different to explain this and we are keeping our fingers crossed the thing has sorted whatever it was.
Curious thing we have noted however that our Iphone 4s now sounds an incoming text tone through Uconnect - never did that before. Always rang fine but never announced an incoming text - we're taking it as a bonus.
Anyway - now back home after clocking up over 6k on our travel loop and it was an absolute pleasure to cover the km - that included 750 odd k of rough and dusty dirt between Broken Hill, Tibooburra, Wanaaring and Hungerford. Plenty of cleaning up to do......

have heard about this problem too.

here it was told, just to keep the "start" button as long pressed until the engine runs.
but there was an update here too some time ago.

This is digging up a very old thread, but I'm the new owner of a 2012 GC CRD and I'm experiencing the exact start stop issue explained here. Has any new information come to light thus far that pin points the issue to a specific TSB or other solution? This morning it did the start stop sequence a few times in a row and in the end it just stopped. Thereafter the lights on the dash came on as usual, but no starting - not cranking at all. It was taken to the local Jeep dealer on a flatbed where it is now awaiting scanning for fault codes. Would be great if, from others experiences, I can nudge them in the right direction as to where to look for a solution...any help would be appreciated.

For what its worth, the dealer scanned the Jeep yesterday and identified issues with the WIN module. They suggest replacing the WIN module, steering lock and two new key fobs as the solution to the problem. I've been searching on many other forums for answers as well as it seems to be a fairly accurate diagnosis. Here's with John posted in AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM:

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR - View Single Post - WK2 Won't Start?

Just to top up this thread with additional info that may help someone else.

We also experienced an intermittent start issue with our 2012 CRD - from around 20,000k. Jump in, press the button and about once every 20 starts the engine would fire and immediately shut down, displaying the oil pressure light. It would happen with either key fob, engine hot or cold, at any fuel tank level.
Checked numerous times by several dealers as we travelled, no codes ever stored - never fixed.

The problem persisted for 10 months with no change in frequency, and every time on a second try the thing started fine. Every service I complained to the dealer, every time they checked it out and could find no fault.

Totally frustrated, I spoke to another dealer service manager who undertook to have a crack at it.

Dropped the vehicle in and several hours later had a call saying they believed the WIN module was the issue, and had ordered parts - they also wanted our second key fob.
The WIN, plus steering lock module, plus both key fobs were replaced - it was explained that all these items are apparently coded together.

40,000k later and the issue has never reappeared - definitely fixed, and a delight to jump in.

Our experience absolutely mirrors some of the excellent advice already given in previous posts. You do need a dealer who cares though, and has clued up people.
John

For what its worth, the dealer scanned the Jeep yesterday and identified issues with the WIN module. They suggest replacing the WIN module, steering lock and two new key fobs as the solution to the problem. I've been searching on many other forums for answers as well as it seems to be a fairly accurate diagnosis. Here's with John posted in AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM:

Hi Gorman
I can confirm that when the WIN module was replaced (along with the steering lock and fobs) our 2012 happily ran right thru to 97,000K (when it went to a new home), with no recurrence of the random shutdown.
It never set a code before it was diagnosed however, and it took a switched on and caring service manager to sort the issue.

We are just back from spending the winter in Darwin and our 2015 made the journey up and back an absolute pleasure.
John

Hi gorman, I wasn't happy to see you're having some issues. Hope it gets sorted at a reasonable price.

Cheers mate!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Hi Gorman
I can confirm that when the WIN module was replaced (along with the steering lock and fobs) our 2012 happily ran right thru to 97,000K (when it went to a new home), with no recurrence of the random shutdown.
It never set a code before it was diagnosed however, and it took a switched on and caring service manager to sort the issue.

We are just back from spending the winter in Darwin and our 2015 made the journey up and back an absolute pleasure.
John
Thanks John, glad to hear the problem never reared its head again. The parts all arrived at the dealer yesterday, so if all goes well I'll be picking it up this afternoon.

Mine never set a code either, until last Thursday when it continued to switch off after it was started, probably around five to six times in a row and then it threw a code. When the dealer scanned the codes, P0513 and B2224 showed up.

Hi gorman, I wasn't happy to see you're having some issues. Hope it gets sorted at a reasonable price.

Cheers mate!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Jeepster, luckily the dealer where I bought the Jeep from picked up the bill - glad about this. Looking forward getting it back again!

Here's the final update...

Got my Jeep back last Thursday and it is as good as new again - no issues with the starting (as expected) and I've also realised that whereas previously when locking the doors via the button on the handle it sometimes required more than one press before it registered and locked, it is now a one-press affair.

Herewith a pic of all the components that were replaced:

What is interesting however as the label on the old WIN module which clearly stated "Rebuild" on it... This is a bit disconcerting as no-where in the Jeep's history since it was sold as a new vehicle has any work been done on the WIN module up to now.

When looking at recall R03 where over 721000 WIN modules were replaced on Dodge models, I cannot help but wonder if Chrysler perhaps "rebuild" these old ones and they entered the production line again?

Hi Gorman,

I am so disapointed with my jeep and my dealer I also have this problem and my CRD Grand cherokee is throwing the P0513 and B2224 codes. The price quoted to fix the issue was over $2500.00.

Can you tell me if your dealer (could you please tell me which is your local dealer?) footed the bill because it was still under warranty or they did it because it is a known problem.

My dealer said when they scanned and looked at the vehicle that the WIN module we have is known to fail, if this is the case why is there no recall on this problem :mad:

Any help would be apprecited.

Cheers

Hi Gorman,

I am so disapointed with my jeep and my dealer I also have this problem and my CRD Grand cherokee is throwing the P0513 and B2224 codes. The price quoted to fix the issue was over $2500.00.

Can you tell me if your dealer (could you please tell me which is your local dealer?) footed the bill because it was still under warranty or they did it because it is a known problem.

My dealer said when they scanned and looked at the vehicle that the WIN module we have is known to fail, if this is the case why is there no recall on this problem :mad:

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Hi Torijeep,

This is quite an expensive fix, however based on the codes that appeared it seems like the diagnosis is correct with the same issue and remedy as what I had.

The price you were quoted seems steep - it is difficult to compare because my issues were back in 2016, but if I recall correctly the complete bill for the fix (WIN module, steering lock, two key fobs and labour) came in under R12000 (in South Africa) which converts today to about AU$1200 ($900 US). I purchased my Jeep through a non-Jeep dealership in 2016, however the issue popped up very soon after I took delivery of the vehicle, so they we obliged to sort it out. The dealer tried to get Jeep to take ownership of the issue, but was unsuccessful.

I also looked for recalls on this at the time and there was a recall on other Chrysler models as well as the older Grand Cherokees, but not the WK2. If you think about it, the WIN modules between the various vehicles are very similar, so a recall on one model should constitute a recall on others where they share the same module.

Good luck in getting yours sorted!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.