Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, this is my first post. I bought an ‘05 Wrangler LJ Rubicon on April 1st w/ 96k miles and I’ve been doing some baselining and refreshing on it over the last month. A couple of weeks ago I replaced all of the body mounts with a replacement kit (rubber, not neoprene) I bought off of Quadratec. Since then one of the body mounts has started creaking. I’ve pulled the bolt back out then reseated it, pulled all three on that side, lifted the body a bit and cleaned it then retorqued it, and it goes right back to creaking. Recommendations? Can I put any lube between the body and the metal mount? Could it be a faulty mount? Could use a little advice.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Are you sure its the mounts that are creaking?
There's a whole bunch of other rubber suspension related bushings under that Jeep.

If its the mount the only think i can think of is that mount is loose.
To eliminate the mounts as the root cause you could try lubing the rubber but be careful which lube you use as some could dissolve rubber.
I'd use 100% silicon grease.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there. Yes, I isolated it last evening to one body mount after spending a lot of time under the car. With the bolt out of that mount it quieted right down. It was not loose, it was torqued to 50 fl/lbs like all the others. I actually contacted Quadratec today and they offered to send me a replacement mount in case that one is faulty. I'll take all of them out on that side, jack the body, put the replacement in another spot and move one I know is quite into that spot. If that fails I willl do as you suggested and try the silicon grease. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Just a thought, when the final torqueing comes up might want to lift the frame instead of the body.
Could it be 50 ft-#'s is not enough to pull the body to the frame when lifting the body?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not quite sure what that’s going to do since the body will just lift with the frame and there is no additional compression applied between them, I don’t have the body lifted for the torquing, only to slide the new uppers in place, then lower the body and torque. 50 fl/lbs is spec and should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts