Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

We're having an intermittent cruise control failure, the system just won't come on at times when you press the on/off button. Then after stopping and shutting it off, once it's fired back up again sometimes it works. I have to take it back to the dealer this week to have a peice of the chrome window trim replaced that has a ding in it, so I'll have them look at it then but I thought I'd see if anybody else has had the same issue...

·
Registered
WK
135 Posts
Hey my parents told me today that they're having the same exact problem with their wk2. Did you ever get to the bottom of it?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Havent been able to get it in yet. I did notice that if you slow down to below 40 or so, the cruise will come on and work normally...

·
Registered
WK
135 Posts
Thanks, Ill let them know that. Its funny they have the exact problem you were describing. Exact same jeep too (3.6l Laredo X)...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I simply wish it would stay in the "on" or ready state after shutdown, ready each time you start the car instead of having to turn it on each time you drive.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I simply wish it would stay in the "on" or ready state after shutdown, ready each time you start the car instead of having to turn it on each time you drive.
No manufacturer does that...

I've just been too busy to take it in, maybe next week before we drive it to Albany...

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Just returned from a 700 mile trip. No cruise control issues at all. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took it in today finally. They had to order a replacement cruise control switch, it'll be in Friday. Unfortunately I'm leaving Thursday for an 800 mile round trip roadtrip. The cruise works intermittantly, lets hope its working tomorrow morning or it'll be a long trip...

Criswell Jeep in Gaithersburg, MD was excellent by the way...

·
Registered
217 Posts
My 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc has an on/off switch for the cruise control that locks in either position. I almost always use my cruise control when I drive, so being able to leave it in the on position is very convenient. I, too, also wish that other manufacturers would include this feature.

·
Registered
58 Posts
sorry
2005 caddliac has a latching pushbutton on steerig wheel that leaves cruse in a ready state "on"... ready to press 'set'

my 1994 GC LTD also only required pressing set once i turned it 'on'

my 1985.5 conquest kept the system ready to 'set'...

this is the first example i have seen that returns the "on" state of the system to 'off' with each shutdown.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Its certainly the minority of systems that operate that way though. My Dad did have a Cadillac back in the 90s that had a ratcheted switch like that now that I think about it.

Anyways as long as the car is on, you've turned cruise on, and you don't turn it off, the system stays on and all you have to hit is "SET".

I have never owned a car that had cruise that you didn't have to turn back on after a restart, nor can I recall ever driving a car that does, rental car, test drive, etc...other than that Cadillac. To me, the Jeep's system operates the way every other system I've used operates.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have had several that did not have to be turned back on. It was a little more convenient but hey, it's only another button press. I'm sure Chrysler set it up this way for safety reasons. They have to be as cautious as the dumbest driver will allow, i.e. hit the set button by accident and crash into something, then sue Chrysler and everyone else. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How old were those vehicles? I bet the reason they don't do that anymore is liability.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yes, liability is probably the issue. I had a few 90's and early 2000's that were set up that way, but interestingly enough, our 2010 Malibu also works that way. I guess GM isn't concerned about liability in that regard.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Switch swapped out. They replaced the whole cruise switch pod on the right side of the steering wheel...

·
Registered
2012 GC Limited
346 Posts

VW / Audi has a switch that goes between on and off and you press a different switch to 'set' - so when you get in and drive 'set' is a one press deal as long as you left the switch on. Most recent VW was a 2010 GTI.

Honda / Acura has a on/off button that retains it's position so again once you hit the 'set' button you are good to go with one press. Most recent was a 2008 Ridgeline.

Honestly I don't see what the big deal is with liability - if your car accelerates because you didn't know the cruise was on, then hit the brake pedal. I find it extremely annoying that when running errands I have to keep turning the cruise control and heated seats back on after every 2 minute stop. I wish it would 'remember' at least for a short while.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whats the big deal about hitting "ON" and then "SET"?

I'm no lawyer, but you know as well as everyone else that it doesn't take much for a manufacturer to be held liable for someone doing something stupid nowadays.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts