Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Every car I've ever owned requires you to turn the cruise on every time you restart the vehicle...

My Dad had a Cadillac in the 90s that had a switch that stayed on if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
681 Posts
GM as late as 2008 has a switch on the turn signal stalk as well ad the set button for the cruise can't say for any newer because I have not driven (nor will I drive) a Government Motors vehicle.

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same intermittent problems with the cruise control in my 2011 Grand Cherokee (now with 55,000 miles). I've had some success holding the resume(+) and set(-) buttons down simultaneously for a few seconds and then it works. That hack seems to be taking more and more time and attempts to work now however. How expensive is the switch if one is paying cash? Too bad it's not a safety issue subject to a recall. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2011 JGC (68k mi.) with non-adaptive cruise control developed this problem intermittently yesterday. Tonight, I opened up the steering wheel to see what the switch looked like. Not very hard, and you can figure it out (six torx screws, two phillips screws, two bolts). Just be sure to disconnect and isolate negative battery terminal and wait two minutes for capacitor to discharge before you begin working to avoid accidental airbag deployment! All of the cruise switches in the right side of the steering wheel are one sealed plug-on module. I find Mopar replacement available on the web for $32.50, off-brand for $25.78. Google for them.

·
Registered
2011 GC Overland
3,729 Posts
This may not help but my 98 Dakota began having electrical issues including the cruise control. Headlamps would just go out at night, taillights but no brake lights, turn signals would flash really fast as if a bulb was out but all bulbs were good. Cruise control I had to hit the "on" button several times to turn the cruise on, then hit the "set button" several times before speed control was set. Turned out to be the turn signal switch. All those wires passed through the turn signal switch. The truck is doing the same thing now (several years and miles later) so I'm getting ready to install a new turn signal switch. I know cars have changed a lot since then, but you never know...
Speaking of which, I still have that Dakota. I can't kill it. But the "electronic" package consisted of an AM/FM/cassette deck. Can you image going from that to my new to me 2011 Grand Cherokee? I thought I'd stepped into the Starship Enterprise. I'm scared to death the Jeep is going to come into my bathroom at night and try to wipe my ass for me. Sheeesh. How did we get a long with out these modern conveniences?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 GC and 2013 Rubicon had the same problem and this worked on both Jeeps. I just squeezed and pushed between the CC buttons and outer area of the steering wheel surrounding the CC. And it worked on both Jeeps! My CC works with no problems. I think doing this allows the buttons to make contact again. Hope this works for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

We're having an intermittent cruise control failure, the system just won't come on at times when you press the on/off button. Then after stopping and shutting it off, once it's fired back up again sometimes it works. I have to take it back to the dealer this week to have a peice of the chrome window trim replaced that has a ding in it, so I'll have them look at it then but I thought I'd see if anybody else has had the same issue...

Hi all
2012 jeep wk2,, my cruise control wouldn't switch on,,
my solution press on and resume at the same time, it then resets and works
The indicator light comes on and its fine for the day or so

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,774 Posts
Hi all
2012 jeep wk2,, my cruise control wouldn't switch on,,
my solution press on and resume at the same time, it then resets and works
The indicator light comes on and its fine for the day or so
Thanks, I wasn't aware that there was a reset procedure that can be done, that does help....
But, you still have a problem and I suspect that you have a bad control unit in the steering wheel, which several folks have posted replacing it fixed their problem.....

Something not brought out in this long and old thread.....
The cruise control is an interaction of several systems, its not just one single system.....
So those saying the Dealer just replaced their cruise control? I'm like, Huh? which part or did they replace a $1,000 worth of system components to replace everything in the Cruise Control?

I suspect, the Steering Wheel Control unit, which I suspect is also more than switches, it might have a microprocessor in it and communicating on the CAN Bus with messages, is what some of the posters are talking about when they say the whole system was replaced.....
  • I'm pretty sure the Cruise Control Functions are all be done by the PCM in the WK2...
  • Its get signaled to do so and what speed to hold by the control module in the steering wheel, and to interrupt it with signals from the brake switch....
  • There are also faults that it looks for and won't engage the Cruise Control if there is something wrong with the brakes... ...so if you have an ABS warning lamp or brake warning lamp, the Cruise Control will refuse to operate...
My cruise control was refusing to set a speed or drop off the setting it was on, after several hours of use on long highway trips, restarting the vehicle would solve it.
Then the length of time before the fault occurred shortened and it would happen within an hour, and the brake light would turn on when the cruise control would fail to set a speed.... (by fail to set a speed, I mean, I could turn it on, but no matter how much I pressed the set or resume button, the little arrow would not turn on, nor would the vehicle react and hold a certain speed)....
Then I had the brake light come within a few minutes of starting, every time I started the vehicle, to the point the brake light came on within seconds of completing the dash self-test every time I started....
The cruise control refused to set a speed anytime the Brake Warning light was on, I forget if it would turn on or not, because its a pretty moot point if it would turn on but not set a speed....

I replaced the Brake Pedal Switch, thinking that was the problem, it did not solve the brake warning lamp nor the Cruise Control Issue.... (although mine wasn't bad, I'm confident a bad brake switch would cause these symptoms)....
I replaced the Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir Low Sensor and it fixed both problems (cause they are related), no more brake warning lamp, cruise control works perfectly...

41 - 49 of 49 Posts