Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Not sure where exactly this thread should be placed BUT I am in the process of building a custom hybrid trailer that can be used as an Overlanding trailer as well a utility trailer for hauling a motorcycle.

I was wondering if anyone else in the process of building a similar trailer and if so have you thought about a certain type of suspension.

The suspension I am planning to use is the same type of suspension used on the Patriot Campers from Australia but with disc brakes instead of drum brakes along with air bags. It will be the CruiseMaster XT (air) from Vehicle Components based in Australia.

Because I am arranging shipment and have to deal with customs, I can add an extra suspension kit into the shipping box and split the cost of shipping...

Anyway if anyone is building there own trailer and would like to upgrade their suspension system to a CruiseMaster just send me a message since I will be placing my order very soon (this month).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So I was able to find a used trailer on craigslist. The trailer was an old satellite communications trailer that was used to haul communications equipment to remote locations. I thought it was a great find since it was made of all metal construction and would make a good foundation for a hybrid trailer... I was able to get the trailer for about $550. The lights worked but the trailer wiring was in need of a lot of repair. There were some rust BUT not a whole lot due to the protective LineX type coating the trailer was coated with...

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
For my situation, I decided to build a hybrid trailer because (1) I didn't have the space to store multiple trailers, (2) I only wanted to deal with ONE trailer for yearly registration fees, maintenance, etc.

The trailer also had to be capable of the following:
1) Transporting a motorcycle to and from the race track
2) Transporting various types of yard maintenance equipment (Riding lawn mower, push mower, weed eater, blower, etc.)
3) Transporting 4ft x 8ft sheets of plywood for general handyman work
4) Being used as a general purpose utility trailer
5) Functioning as an Overlanding camping trailer

With the help of a local and very skilled welder (Alex - who welds together industrial robots and trailers for oil companies during his day job) I was able to get it to the stage where it could safely transport a motorcycle to and from the race track.

Side Note: Alex is the guy who created the RotoPax fuel carrier accessory I used on my Hitchgate Solo Tire carrier for my 1st Overlanding Trip! Alex really likes doing welding side projects. ( https://jeepgarage.org/f73/taking-the-wk2-overlanding-my-single-step-130474.html )

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
For the next phase, I felt I needed the resources of a shop that was very good at bending very large metal pieces and trailer fabrication work. It took me a long while but I eventually found a really great trailer shop in Huntsville, Texas called Texas Made Trailers ( texasmadetrailers.com )

Most of the trailer shops in the Houston area I visited had very poor customer service and I wasn't impressed by the trailer work I did see. But I did run across one or two shops that appeared to do good work BUT their customer service wasn't that great and they GREATLY inflated their custom work prices because they did not want to do custom jobs... LUCKILY I stumble across the guys at Texas Made Trailers and they were interested in the project and they were willing to do the work at what I considered a fair price.

So after talking with the guys at Texas Made Trailers about the design, I dropped off the trailer. Also because they have been building trailers for years, they made some great suggestions regarding the design. A BIG thanks goes out to Sam, Dennis and Braden! Those guys at the trailer shop really went far beyond what was expected!

So if anyone is in the market for a well built custom trailer, be sure to put Texas Made Trailers on your list of trailer shops to check out. (Be sure to ask to speak with Sam and let him know how you heard about Texas Made Trailers) They mainly build trailers for their dealer network BUT if your project is interesting they MIGHT be able to squeeze you in between their trailer build cycles. Somehow I got lucky and arrived at the right time to slide my custom request in.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Second phase of the hybrid trailer build is done!

As you can see, I have been very fortunate to find people who do quality work and are interested in this trailer project.

I have several more phases to go... The next phase is upgrading the trailer's suspension system from the Timbren Suspension currently on the trailer TO the Cruisemaster XT Independent Suspension System ( https://cruisemaster.com.au/cruisemaster-xt/)...

Attachments

·
Registered
Altitude
7 Posts
This reminds me of an old Sears camping trailer my dad bought a long time ago that I used to haul around push mowers with. It came with a clamp on top but that got destroyed at some point. Very cool trailer.

P.S. - I creeped all your other build threads and found all my solutions I've been looking for from your trials, lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@dugger - you're right! Sears was making hybrid trailers in the 60s! I wounder what happen to stifle progress and innovation with hybrid trailers... :-(

I am glad to hear that I was able to help you out with a possible solution! I am glad I was able to return the favor to the community on this website since I have been helped out so many times by learning about other members issues and solutions to those issues...

Anyway if you decide to post your story somewhere, please send me a link!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Looking great & looking forward to see how it all turns out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Work has been very busy BUT hopefully I can get some time to start putting together some type of plan to get this install done in phases...

In the meantime, here is a small homemade unboxing video:

https://youtu.be/6jwKPFK5UAg

Hopefully this will give you guys some idea of what the kit looks like out of the box...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So I did a test fit with the Wheel Adapters and the adapters are not completely clearing the outer ridge. :( It was close! (See photos)

Not exactly sure where the measurement disconnects occurred BUT hopefully I can work with the guys at US Wheel Adapters to get the issue resolved. Luckily they are located in Texas!

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Using a set of digital calipers, I was able to identify the measurement disconnect...

I take FULL responsibility for this mix up!

Currently in the process of shipping the wheel adapters back to the manufacture in order to get the opening diameter increased to accommodate the larger spigot size of the wheel hub.

Again I am taking FULL responsibility for this one! All fingers point to me! LOL!

Hopefully someone out there will learn from my mistakes...:thumbsup:

Also the reason I am using wheel adapters is so I can use the WK2 bolt pattern (5×127mm) which would allow me to use jeep wheels on the trailer. This will give me the option of using my spare tires for both the jeep and the trailer. Yea I know it's a pain to setup initially BUT I believe it has benefits in the long run...

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Awesome set up you have, You are ready for anything! Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cruisemaster just posted a video on Payload Weight that I thought was good at explaining and helping you know how much payload your vehicle can carry instead of merely guessing and hoping!

https://youtu.be/Cg_5qLzHrsA

Time to put together a spreadsheet! Hmmm! Maybe this is something we can share with the community here!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are some trailer photos from the Camino del Tesoro tour given by New Mexico Backroads. This was my 2nd time taking a tour with Jake. Again I am highly recommending his tour for 1st timers and for people looking to test out their overlanding configuration. Each tour I have taken, I have gained better insight into the pluses AND minuses of my setup!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts