Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

D3S Bulb Replacement

15K views 55 replies 17 participants last post by  johncstein 
#1 ·
I noticed the other day that my passenger side headlight was starting to go out, it would turn on but would be like a yellow color when usually its white and after a while it just turns completely off so it's time to replace the bulb. I went to the store and bought the normal H11 bulbs and when I went to change them, they were not a normal bulb. After doing some more research I found out that the bulb is a D3S. I have never had to replace a bulb like this before so I am unsure if it's something that I can do or a shop has to do.

After researching the bulbs, I found this website that seems legit: D3S: Philips 42403 XV2 Xtreme Vision 4800K HID Bulbs | TRS B132

I called the dealership because I thought this would be covered by a warranty but I guess it isn't and they wanted $350 just for one bulb and about an hour for labor. That just didn't sit right with me. Is it worth it to just buy the bulbs and try to do it myself or just pay a shop to do it?

If anyone has any tips or tricks on how to replace these bulbs that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I tried replacing mine on my own and broke the stem/ fuse part on both the new bulbs and the OE one lol BUT I discovered D3S HID to LED bulbs so i’m doing that instead. I hate how delicate HIDs are and after following an easy step by step video and still ruining all 3 bulbs, i’m switching to LED D3Ss

#4 ·
Yeah I originally thought they were just normal bulbs not D3S's.. For the least amount of trouble, I think I'm just going to have a shop change them for me cause I don't want to break a $250 set of bulbs. Whoever designed the placement of the headlights needs to rethink about changing careers because it isn't user friendly lol

#5 ·
I would never pay someone to do this. I have replaced the bulbs in my jeep, area is tight, but not unreasonable. For driver side, I removed the airbox to create more room to remove old one, i then place the new on in the location, and then go through the wheel wheel (raise the jeep up with air ride if you have it and removed the circular door that is in the wheel well, this gives you access to the headlight). I then place the headlight and turn the locking hardware from the wheel well. Passenger side, i also moved a few things for easier access but still used wheel well to set the new bulb. if your hands are too large, get a neighbor to help seat the bulb

#8 ·
I noticed the other day that my passenger side headlight was starting to go out, it would turn on but would be like a yellow color when usually its white and after a while it just turns completely off so it's time to replace the bulb. I went to the store and bought the normal H11 bulbs and when I went to change them, they were not a normal bulb. After doing some more research I found out that the bulb is a D3S. I have never had to replace a bulb like this before so I am unsure if it's something that I can do or a shop has to do.

After researching the bulbs, I found this website that seems legit: D3S: Philips 42403 XV2 Xtreme Vision 4800K HID Bulbs | TRS B132

I called the dealership because I thought this would be covered by a warranty but I guess it isn't and they wanted $350 just for one bulb and about an hour for labor. That just didn't sit right with me. Is it worth it to just buy the bulbs and try to do it myself or just pay a shop to do it?

If anyone has any tips or tricks on how to replace these bulbs that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Do it yourself. It's easy. Just be careful of the bulb itself. I wouldn't use Philips personally...too many people complaining about short bulb life on those. Go with RCP, Kensun, Beamtech. I used RCP on my Hemi Charger a few years ago...$26 on Amazon and never had an issue.
Also, just fyi...4800k is a yellow color. You want at LEAST 5000k if you're looking for white. Personally I like 6000k color temp.

#14 ·
I just recieved my Morimoto XB D3S's in 5000k. Going to try to replace the driver side one first since once you take off the air box you will have more room to work with to see how the bulb comes out of the housing. Will keep you posted on how that goes.

#9 ·
Pull the bumper. It's not that difficult. I put in Phillips 4300K D3S bulbs a little over two years ago replacing the original Osram's. They perform better than the originals and so far so good. I guess time will tell if they reach the 5 1/5 year mark like the Osram's. Price on Amazon for the Philips was great. Oh, mine are not yellow looking ... yet.

#20 ·
Well just gave it a go again and I am unable to get my hand in the headlight to flip those "tabs" that are holding the bulb in place. At this point I give up and I am taking it in the shop next week to get it done cause I have had enough of this lol

#21 ·
I consider myself reasonably good at working in tight blind spots and I tried and gave up trying to work thru that hole. I wound up taking the whole front fascia off to do it. It's not really very hard to remove but psychologically it's a big effort.

#25 ·
I got mine out but trying to get them back in is the big trick without bending one of the little tabs. I pulled the front fascia as well. I cut the plastic rivets and used push pins to put it back together. Mine was a bit more complicated because mine has the headlight washers but it still wasn't bad. Took all of 10 minutes to put it back together.

#29 ·
Has anyone had an issue before of one light looking more yellow than the other? The passenger side bulb was the one that was out so I replaced both with the same bulb and now the bulb on the passenger side looks yellow compared to the driver side which looks like a bright white. I'm starting to think its the projector now that seems to be bad.. Am I on the right track here? Or anyone else have some thoughts on this?

#32 ·
@tmar480 I would say it's the bulb(s) until "you" actually put a matched pair in or buy the matched pair and witness the mechanic putting the two you bought in the headlamp. Read reviews on the lamps they say they purchased for you and see what people are saying about those bulbs.

Reactions: PowerJRod
#39 ·

Thanks!
Hello I have watched all the videos but I just cannot get the D3S bulb out. Do you turn it or is the a clip to get it out. I don’t want to break it.

#41 ·
Hi, I replaced chrome HIDS to black srt bixenons, with the same bulbs I get strange halo effect on both sides, I did not notice it on old chrome ligts. Is it normal or are both bulbs badly seated? (I installed them with headlights out so I am 99% sure they should be seated correctly :/ )

Sky Automotive lighting Road surface Cloud Vehicle

Car Hood Automotive lighting Sky Vehicle
t

#44 ·
I had to do this a few months ago and laughed at the dealer when they quoted me >300 for the ONE bulb. I mean I know things are expensive but NO WAY. Went to Amazond did a little research and bought a PAIR of replacements for my Xenons. Then the fun began. I did not realize until I tried to do this has ridiculous it all is. Jeep engineers should be ashamed. They cut a hole in the wheel well.....great......not so great, there is no benefit to even trying this.
I could not with my reasonably sized hands to get a good grip on the passenger side in particular.......and you are working sort of backwards at a very awkward angle......and you are not pulling or popping or twisting the bulb like in many cars, as mentioned there is ring that you need to twist, NO AGAIN REMEMBER YOU ARE WORKING BLIND HERE........and an odd angle......I finally gave up and called a mechanic friend who is 5'4 about 130 lbs and very handy. He did the smart thing and literally climbed into the engine compartment so he could get a decent grip on this stupid ring.....two of them actually.....and then it was easy..........then the drivers side so they would match......and that side was easier to get at......compared to the passenger.......all in all another overengineerd maddening experience which I think is born of stupid ignorant designers or by design so as to get people into the dealer. For me it was 40/00 and a pizza for my friend.......

#45 ·
I recently installed Osram Cool Blue Intense DS3 bulbs in my 2015 as well as replaced the OE fog lights with Morimoto LED housings. This would have been an easy job except I have an Offroad Animal pushbar on the front that needed to be removed. Other than that it was a few clips and a couple plastic rivets and the front bumper popped out. 5 bolts hold on each headlight housing and it's not a struggle at all. Going through the wheel well is asking to damage the bulb.

#46 ·
Agreed, but just think about what you just described. Take the bumper off to change a headlight bulb.
So their answer is to cut a hole in the wheelwell, which does nothing. We simply reached in through the engine compartment, (had to move one or two things, snorkel, and an electrical pied), to get a good grip but without the help of smaller hands it was difficult.
Good Grief.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.